Academy?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't had said it better, Thanks.

I would like to add: THE ACADEMY, average age is 18 1/2, membership is nearly 100% Arizona home grown...quite frankly I like it that way. The Mission Statement for the Corps sponsor "Arizona Academy of the Performing Arts" specifically notes the importance of developing local Arizona youth in its over all performing arts programs within the local community.

Yes, I was speaking with some of their hornline members before encore at a show. Apparently only 2 members were from outside AZ, and lived in states with borders touching AZ. I am pretty certain that about the same ratio applies to their guard as well as their percussion.

I was also very impressed with the maturity of the corps, as well as the respect of the members. They were always very kind, and very courteous. Competition had us come out swinging at Academy, but then we walked past them coming from a show. I was surprised to learn that they did not have fangs, and did not spit acid.

They may also want to start thinking about recruiting girls from California and Texas where their achievement levels are a little higher then the AZ girls.

Completely disagree. With the extinction of so called "local corps" (talent), to do as you suggest then puts those "local" kids on the street to wherever they now have to go because an "import" took their spot. It's a vicious cycle that need not happen. Build with what is available "locally" to ensure that your "local" support doesn't wane.

It's pretty hard to seek support from the community you purport to "represent" when you import your talent.

RM - my 2 cents as an outsider

ampssuck