End of season 2006. Thoughts, observations,

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great observations, G! Sorry you didn't enjoy BK as much as I did. I think I agreed with you most other places. Good luck on the new house!

Harvey

Great observations, G! Sorry you didn't enjoy BK as much as I did. I think I agreed with you most other places. Good luck on the new house!

Harvey

Harvey,

You know, looking back at all my writings of BK, it does seem rather harsh. I just was let down because I adored them last year, I want more, I want to see them break through to the next level in programing and start to open it up, get some color and some contrast. Im sure Ill revisit this show on DVD and find much more to like that I might have missed.

Can you believe Phantom this year ?? I actually had some tears saturday night !!! LOL

~G~

Vanguard !! Friday nights SCV performance was by far the most emotional of the night, had they performed like that on Saturday ?? Fourth place without a doubt. This show was just amazing. The little things that are often taken for granted, the non stop motion, the integration of the guard....THe way the left the field. A very successful season for SCV and a "watch out for next year"

My friend told me something about Joe (Mr. Moto) marching around in the souvie area in full uniform with his horn, to keep the theme going. Is that true?

"Oh, and who's the trumpet tech you guys had? Geez! I was walking by the parking lot after a show and I heard "Over the Rainbow" with nothing but screamer notes coming out of his trumpet. I remember just saying to myself, "Wow."

That was probably Ray Vasquez you heard. A trumpet teacher at Auburn University, and a phenomenal player....he does that stuff without much warm-up, can do it lying on his back (as part of a teaching example). He marched in Phantom Reg. The brass caption head for Spirit this year was Chip Crotts, trumpet teacher/jazz instructor at JSU, and a former Blue Devils soloist. These two guys, along with a great staff of techs, did a tremendous job of teaching the brass this year. Not just "drum corps instruction", but genuine music education-type teaching. I think most folks could tell the difference when they heard this year's hornline. We in the Spirit family are excited about the coming years as this staff builds on this year's learning and enthusiasm for "doing things right". Look for better and better hornlines coming out of Alabama the next few years!

Thanks, folks, for the kind words.

Good to see you too, amongst the herd of cattle ! LOL....

~G~

now, now, JBC's a historic landmark.

to cattle chutes :P