What changes/evolutions/innovations do you expect/hope/want to see?

Why is every other type of ensemble in the world allowed to stretch out artistically except for drum corps.

I'm just restating what people have been saying. What brings people to the seats with local symphony orchestras? It isn't the lastest esoteric piece by a nobody but the tried and true pieces that people love to hear. Yeah, a few of us (us used in a general meaning) like the new stuff but it doesn't fill the halls.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Every other"? Please explain. British Brass Bands? Scottish Pipe Bands? Symphony Orchestras?

British brass bands and Scottish Pipe bands have as a goal to preserve the historic sound they create...like fife and drum corps and alumni/reunion corps in our world.

Symphony Orchestras have NO limits on what they can and do use, instrumentation-wise.

Why is every other type of ensemble in the world allowed to stretch out artistically except for drum corps.

1999: Bb

2004: Amplification

This year brings Hop once again with some sort of proposal on electronic percussion.

That's quite a bit of artistic expansion in the space of 5-7 years...some of which we don't even know how to mark down on the sheets. B)

I want Junior Corps to show the judges that yes, they too can receive Div.I scores.

:laugh: Back out or the way flood of 60s70s and 80s as scores.

Edited by Terrance I.McGee

Corps return to thier musical roots and figure out that shows that are entertaining are what bring people in the stands, not esoteric, artsy shows.

We all have different taste and I would like to see something for everyone. But generally speaking, I think you are absolutely right on! I realize there are criteria the judges require for corps to receive points, but I wonder how many corps, while designing a show say to themselves, "Okay, now what music can we perform that the FANS (the average Joe in the stands who actually bought a ticket) will like?" DCI judges can find other work.

British brass bands and Scottish Pipe bands have as a goal to preserve the historic sound they create...

I used to think that was one of the goals of Drum and Bugle Corps. For 18 years or so I did. The last 5 cleared that up for me though.

Symphony Orchestras have NO limits on what they can and do use, instrumentation-wise.

How many DC have has a stated goal "we want to be a Symphony Orchestra"? I'm not talking about playing with a good, rich sound. I mean literally. :laugh:

Oh and to answer the original post:

Human Voice added to the list of banned intruments for amplification. And no electronic percussion.

Maybe not what you were looking for. But it's all I want for Christmas.

British brass bands and Scottish Pipe bands have as a goal to preserve the historic sound they create.

Which is also one of drum and bugle corps' goals.

I used to think that was one of the goals of Drum and Bugle Corps. For 18 years or so I did. The last 5 cleared that up for me though.

I have never seen that as a goal of drum corps...going back to 1964 when I started. Just LOOK at all the changes since then!

How many DC have has a stated goal "we want to be a Symphony Orchestra"? I'm not talking about playing with a good, rich sound. I mean literally. :laugh:

Not the point I was responding to...the poster talked about pipe bands, etc...as regards changing instrumentation...symphonies have no instrumentation limits.

symphonies have no instrumentation limits.

"The symphony orchestra consists of four proportionate groups of similar musical instruments, generally appearing in the musical score in the following order (with proportions indicated):

- the woodwinds: 2 flutes, piccolo, 2 oboes, cor anglais, 2 clarinets, bass clarinet, 2 bassoons* contrabassoon

- the brass: 2 to 6 horns, 2 to 5 trumpets, 2 trombones, bass trombone, tuba

- the percussion: timpani, snare drum, bass drum, celesta, etc.

- the strings: harp(s), 16 to 30 (or more) violins, 8 to 12 (or more) violas, 8 to 12 (or more) cellos, 5 to 8 (or more) double basses, and piano.

Occasionally, traditional wind ensemble instruments appear, such as the saxophone and euphonium." -From Wikipedia