Should DCI Monitor More Closely?

OK, we all have seen DCI do a better job ensuring corps are financially viable before they're allowed to compete. But, as the Capital Regiment allegations have shown, there's still a big hole where no independent body is monitoring the corps' experience to ensure a minimum level of safety.

Any ideas as to what can be done to ensure something like this doesn't repeat itself? SHOULD the task fall to DCI as the sanctioning organization?

My thought would be to have a DCI rep shadow each Division I corps. Perhaps the reps would be paid and full-time, perhaps a set of volunteers that will follow a corps for a week or two, similar to food truck volunteers who come and go. They'd share the same housing and eat the same food, monitor rehearsals, etc. However, they would be unaffiliated with the corps they're shadowing and their responsibility is to see that members eat/drink adequately and are housed and transported safely, reporting violations to DCI.

To the extent D II/III corps are touring (the 2 weeks before Championships) the same rule would apply.

An overreaction? Perhaps. But if one corps out of the 20+ are having difficulties, should DCI know about it? And, if so, should it be in early July or late August?

Edited by Phillygwm

Too much money involved by having someone for every corps at all times...and, additionally, if the corps knew they were coming, they'd put on their "best face" during that time, even it was somewhere where problems where occuring.

However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have this brought up in the September meetings, and to have some sort of loose "commitee" started on this to figure out a course of action. Corps that are fiscal strongmen (Cavaliers, Surf, etc) could tie this into some of the management and other workshops that are presented through the year at DCI meetings.

Another way to tackle it may be to give something like this directly to Dan Acheson to champion, since the logistical and fiscal viability of all units under the DCI umbrella is in direct co-relation to his job (not that he should be held responsible for other corps failures, but as a leader/visionary to the DCI brand, perhaps drawing up a "battle plan" so it doesn't happen again might be feasible).

Too much money involved by having someone for every corps at all times...and, additionally, if the corps knew they were coming, they'd put on their "best face" during that time, even it was somewhere where problems where occuring.

That's why they'd need to travel with the corps 24/7. Get a bunch of schoolteachers, maybe they take the job on for a stipend -- let's say $5000 for 8 weeks. That's a +/-$100K budget hole to fill. Or, arguably, less than one lawsuit.

You know what? Charge me an extra $5 for my Super 3 ticket. I won't mind.

But you can do it cheaper if you scheduled a larger number of volunteers, much the way corps arrange kitchen help: you can work July 4-10? Great, you can hook up with Pioneer in Dubuque. Then you're just dealing with transportation expenses.

Admittedly, not a perfect plan, but you're right: selective enforcement won't work. Corps members will close ranks in a (misguided?) effort to protect their brethren.

Maybe a dci rep or two---that show up---whenever---spend a day or two with a corp----never know when they gonna show up.

exactly, surprise visits

I guess I will be the lone voice of dissent -

I hope that the people making very emotional claims can find peace in the off season. I always like to think that cooler heads will prevail. With that in mind....

Can we have our cake and eat it too? I'm reading people's reaction to the Capitol Regiment allegations, and suddenly there is this great need for governing the safety of the kids/marching members.

I think that the safety of the marching members is of paramount importance. With that in mind, for the DCI Board of Directors to establish a minimum standard that corps would have to abide by would not only cost money, but it would drive to fold many of the Division II/III corps that many people on here have argued so adamantly for DCI Board of Directors to protect, as they probably would not have the liquid assets (let alone membership income) available to pump into additional insurance, wellness programs, medical/supervisory staff, etc./

And then the idea that a mentoring program for regional corps is suggested to perform financial/operational modeling for a Division I/II/III buddy system? Isn't that, in essence, what YEA! is doing for the members in the Crossmen and Cadets organizations?

I think it wise for there to be a minimum standard for participating member organizations (corps) to exist; however, we need to face the hard and fast reality that if DCI Division II/III corps are having a hard time sustaining when membership is waxing, imagine the organizational voids created when Div II/III corps raise their fees $50-500 to offset the encumbrance of new expenses (bonding, insurance, registration, additional staff) etc.

Something to think about.

And then the idea that a mentoring program for regional corps is suggested to perform financial/operational modeling for a Division I/II/III buddy system? Isn't that, in essence, what YEA! is doing for the members in the Crossmen and Cadets organizations?

That's exactly what I had in mind when I wrote it, albeit a looser organization than that.

I don't know that sharing ideas, work strategies and financial insights woul cost a lot more, though. Those sort of things can be instituted at a DCI directors meeting level, or at a regional (DCI Atlantic/DCI Central) level.

I do see what you're saying...the bureacracy of too much tinkering could weigh it down so only the biggest corps survive. However, the exchange of ideas and keeping tabs on each other during the season is more or less free. :)

Now that DCI Championships will be in Indy and the rest of the schedule will be more locked down than it is today. DCI will be in a better position to monitor corps and devote resources during the offseason to ensure the organization structures are strong and financially stable.

I don't know if DCI needs physical 'volunteers' to 'spy' on corps. I would suggest that DCI create a logistical department where director are required to call in daily and discuss transportation, food and health issues.

That's exactly what I had in mind when I wrote it, albeit a looser organization than that.

I don't know that sharing ideas, work strategies and financial insights woul cost a lot more, though. Those sort of things can be instituted at a DCI directors meeting level, or at a regional (DCI Atlantic/DCI Central) level.

I do see what you're saying...the bureacracy of too much tinkering could weigh it down so only the biggest corps survive. However, the exchange of ideas and keeping tabs on each other during the season is more or less free. :)

I agree that making sure that brother or sister corps are in good health/welfare would be a smart and sensible thing to do.

:)