What makes you think of Drum Corps

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Funnel Cakes remind me of Allentown.

The world famous Allentown funnel cakes!!!!! Dusting the powdered sugar off my new corps t-shirt.

One of the best drum corps stadiums in existence.

Also, anytime I'm driving down I-94 from Milwaukee to Chicago and pass Racine. I think they've had a show every year since like the 1890s.

Hot summer days, when other people complain about the heat and how they're sweating and all i think, quit complaining I LOVE THIS WEATHER!!!!!

Racine, ahh. As I recall, they don't really have a stadium. Bad memory...but, wasn't it just temporary bleachers on the side of a pasture that they mowed?

Also, it seems like it was every July 4 that we were there. Someone help me with these hazy memories.

Racine, ahh. As I recall, they don't really have a stadium. Bad memory...but, wasn't it just temporary bleachers on the side of a pasture that they mowed?

Also, it seems like it was every July 4 that we were there. Someone help me with these hazy memories.

Horlich Field...only stadium I know of where you can have a beer and a drum corps show...and the saying is...one beer dies of lonliness...needs a partner AT LEAST!

It was like 2004 I was there last with both Kilties and Royalaires in the show. It was like 700 big old fat guys like me crowding around the beer stand. I think we sold them out!

Tom Brace

Horlich Field...only stadium I know of where you can have a beer and a drum corps show...and the saying is...one beer dies of lonliness...needs a partner AT LEAST!

It was like 2004 I was there last with both Kilties and Royalaires in the show. It was like 700 big old fat guys like me crowding around the beer stand. I think we sold them out!

Tom Brace

Thank you Tom for helping to reconstruct part of my memory. As I recall, this was the single biggest "hick" show of the year, but I do remember they were very much into it (80's). I think their fireworks display consisted of about 14 bottlerockets and few "black cats". It was dazzling.

When I go into the recesses of my mind and I think of those shows, all I can picture is dust.

A really hot bass run. soemthing about the sound of 4-5 basses working together and having a nice clean run is drum corps to me.

How about you?????

When I hear those piccolos tuning up I think about how nice it would be to be at a drum corps show.... :P

I have to agree with that. It's funny that I think of drum corps sometimes when I'm at the symphony!

I can't hear the big hit in the Shaker Hymn section of Appalachian Spring without seeing Garfield's dissolving & reforming company front in my head ... and it always brings a tear to my eye, and I don't know if it's the music or my memory of that show.