I've Come to the Conclusion that I Just Don't Like Characters

Very cautiously, I agree with Granny.

I think a corps has to be very careful using characters.

Once you put a guy in a bunny suit...he's probably stuck that way for the whole show, so you have to use him as the character all the way through.

Waaay back i my day, the 71 Cavies had a guy don a clown suit for the second half of their show, the second half being a circus theme. At a spot where the drumline was gathered back field on the (where else) 50, he crouched down behind some bass drums to put on his costume. We were waiting to go on after them at one show, in Northbrook Ill I think, and it was funny watching the guy hop around trying to get the pants part of the costume over his shoes.

I judged in the Garden State Circuit in the late 70's. One corps played "Land of Make Believe" (I think a Mangione tune was almost a mandatory element then :P ) and had characters dance around in Mighty Mouse, Little Boy Blue, and Uncle Remus costumes.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

To bad you guys feel this way...I miss all the characters VK used throughout their years..Wouldn't have been the same without them..Loved it.

To bad you guys feel this way...I miss all the characters VK used throughout their years..Wouldn't have been the same without them..Loved it.

I think a corps has to be careful...not that they should shun away from them. VK was great!

I think a corps has to be careful...not that they should shun away from them. VK was great!

I agree with you..I'm actually not a fan of characters for the most part.....But since he said "any of them", it got me thinking about VK and how much the characters added to their shows..With them trying to come back, I thought I would bring it up..

Edited by ScvSpirit

I would like to add that I don not like a lot of props on the field.

A superb show design should be sufficient to tell the story on trhe field.

At the risk of starting another one of "those" discussions, that's my problem with narration and singing, and that's why I consider it poor, or at least lazy, show design.

At the risk of starting another one of "those" discussions, that's my problem with narration and singing, and that's why I consider it poor, or at least lazy, show design.

:rolleyes:

I agree. The thing is that my brain doesn't work well enough to listen to two things at the same time. So, I have to either listen to the narration or to the music and it's harder to tune out the narration than the music.

I wouldn't mind singing as much if the corps was actually doing drill while singing. But, when they stand still while singing it seems to me like they are trying to cut a couple of minutes off of the drill that they need to clean.

I wouldn't mind singing as much if the corps was actually doing drill while singing. But, when they stand still while singing it seems to me like they are trying to cut a couple of minutes off of the drill that they need to clean.

Another great advantage to a micced vocalist...instead of forcing the whole corps to stop and sing...one or a few micced vocalists can carry the singing load while the rest move...see Crown 2004 and Cadets 2006.

Another great advantage to a micced vocalist...instead of forcing the whole corps to stop and sing...one or a few micced vocalists can carry the singing load while the rest move...see Crown 2004 and Cadets 2006.

MikeD - taking every opportunity to #### off as many people as possible..... :P