Internet Posting and Corps

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think "a lot of kids being kidnapped" might be a slight exaggeration.

if you use those sites correctly, you'll be fine.

I wish it was an exaggeration, but to read through www.mydeathspace.com, one is chilled by how prevalent such things are. Of course, statistically, the percentage is small due to the incredibly high number of myspace.com pages, but if you've never read through the cautionary tales of mydeathspace, you might be as surprised as you would be sickened. NOTE: This is NOT for the sqeamish. But it's an important site as it warns all who care and especially vulnerable children what could happen if one isn't careful with meeting people whom they contact via the Internet.

The Internet is a wonderful creation, but like anything, it can be abused. And in the process, a number of innocent beings have been victimized. One can't be too careful.

yeah.....

KidnappeD? ANyone who gets kidnapped because of myspace TOLD somebody where they live, or their phone number...

I mean that's like saying, " kids shouldn't play in parks , because they will get kidnapped..

I don't think it is the corps business it all whether somebody has a myspace... For crying out loud, most corps these days HAVE myspaces! :0

anyways.. I just can't stand it when people say that myspace is so dangerous... ANYTHING is dangerous! Anyone who is smart can easily stay safe or have no problems.

it's all in the hands of the user.. Yeah if you want to talk to strangers, you will.

Also, do you realize how many people are on myspace? MILLIONS..... yes MILLIONS

Edited by g0at

The corps can (rightfully) set guidelines regarding a member's posting anything that may reflect back on the corps. As for more personal online activities such as MySpace, that's really outside of their control. If they want to make suggestions on how to stay safe online...great.

Also, people like to watch the news and play into all the sensationalism surrounding sites like MySpace. Do bad things happen sometimes? Yes, but it's hardly the "growing epidemic" that many seem to think it is.

I wish it was an exaggeration, but to read through www.mydeathspace.com, one is chilled by how prevalent such things are. Of course, statistically, the percentage is small due to the incredibly high number of myspace.com pages, but if you've never read through the cautionary tales of mydeathspace, you might be as surprised as you would be sickened. NOTE: This is NOT for the sqeamish. But it's an important site as it warns all who care and especially vulnerable children what could happen if one isn't careful with meeting people whom they contact via the Internet.

The Internet is a wonderful creation, but like anything, it can be abused. And in the process, a number of innocent beings have been victimized. One can't be too careful.

Both my daughters use Myspace so I checked out the link to mydeathspace. The deaths there are of course tragic, but they are from a variety of causes, from murders to suicides, auto accidents and diseases. Is there a section for deaths as a direct result of myspace use that I missed?

Parents that let their kids use myspace or online chat etc have to teach and reinforce to their children what is safe behaviour and what information should NEVER be given out. Kids need to take their parents advice in this regard. There are a lot of nut jobs out there and stuff like myspace just gives them another way of finding you.

Jim

yeah.....

KidnappeD? ANyone who gets kidnapped because of myspace TOLD somebody where they live, or their phone number...

I mean that's like saying, " kids shouldn't play in parks , because they will get kidnapped..

I don't think it is the corps business it all whether somebody has a myspace... For crying out loud, most corps these days HAVE myspaces! :0

anyways.. I just can't stand it when people say that myspace is so dangerous... ANYTHING is dangerous! Anyone who is smart can easily stay safe or have no problems.

it's all in the hands of the user.. Yeah if you want to talk to strangers, you will.

Also, do you realize how many people are on myspace? MILLIONS..... yes MILLIONS

I agree with everything you stated, but I did mention <<Of course, statistically, the percentage is small due to the incredibly high number of myspace.com pages,...>> Kids need to be aware that there are potential dangers in the same context as they need to be aware about a number of things that can go wrong but rarely ever do. It CAN be a dangerous world, though it isn't for most people most of the time...and being careful helps statistics be on their side.

I— as I'm sure everyone reading this—want our corps members to have every advantage to assure that one day they too will be telling the younger generation to be careful out there.

Mike (still looks both ways before crossing a street)

I know alot of schools have baned sites like myspace, have they gone too far? Should corps do the same thing?

I know alot of schools have baned sites like myspace, have they gone too far? Should corps do the same thing?

This just seems absolutely absurd to me. I don't think it's any corps business with the personal websites. Sure, they may say things that make themselves look crazy on there, but everyone knows that it is only their opinion since it is their PERSONAL website. As for the kidnapping thing... I still don't think it's the corps business to address the entire corps about this. It's like hearing a corps director giving a speech about drunk driving... it's just really not relevant to the activity.

As for corps kids posting on DCP, this is a highly debatable and interesting topic. I have heard different things from members in different corps. It was not even brought up where I marched. However, I still believe that many corps marching members either do not post on DCP or severely hide their identities because there is a huge stigma against members posting on DCP. They don't want to misrepresent their corps, so often times if they do post they have to put huge disclaimers. Ever seen the phrase, "My opinions in no way reflect the views of my corps or the organization" or something to that affect? Yup, it's cuz they don't want to screw it up and get hit by that stigma of "you screwed up our reputation".

That and they don't want to say the wrong things and have it misinterpreted in general. This is why you don't hear tons of people after the season is over coming on and talking about their summer experiences. (Unless it turned out REALLY bad and they wish to tell the world) We do get some posters, but I guarantee you not nearly as many as the members who read the forums religiously yet are afraid to post for the reasons just discussed.

Edited by Stick Stack

yeah.....

Suppose a young person puts there first name on Myspace. Then they have a blog about, let's say, cheerleading at their school. It wouldn't take a stranger long to figure out where the kid went to school, the kid's name and possibly address. Let's face it, there lots of weirdos out there and we are just starting to see the wacky depths that some in our society will go too. Rule #1 about the internet....be overly careful.

Corps policy should be not to give your real name on forums or not to post on forums at all, and be careful about who you communicate with.

One the other side of the dime, too many people on DCP see a corps affiliation after a persons name and attribute any thing they type as a representation of the corps. ie "Corps X sucks because they all come in to chat and slam corps Y" (this happened in DIV 2/3 forum recently). Get a grip and realize that just because someone marched somewhere doesn't mean they speak for the organization.