Internet Posting and Corps

Wow, you guys know alot. That's scary stuff. I'm glad you posted this, because alot of kids wouldn't have really thought about it. Now I'm sure my website is loaded with stuff. Yuck.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Allee, you don't have to hide under a rock out of fear, but just use some sensible precautions and never put out information that could lead someone to you, and you will be OK.

I wonder about WGI units that put picture of the girls with their names on their member pages. That must be like a shopping mall to a pedo.

Agree, most of what you need to protect yourself is good information on what to watch out for and the common sense to follow it. Hope the company that hosts your web page also has good protection info. Lot of times knowledge can lessen the fear.

Few years ago my old church set up a web site and the Lutheran synod sent guidelines to follow. Besides not posting pictures of children with names one other sticks in my mind. Always get permission before posting anyones picture. One reason is you never know when someone is hiding from an abusive spouse or other danger. Just so sad, I can't forget it.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Advice: If you're posting on a message board asking for a ride from a volunteer or corps member, check with the corps director and other volunteers and members if the person is legit. I think everyone on these kinds of forums is real, but better safe than sorry!

Advice: If you're posting on a message board asking for a ride from a volunteer or corps member, check with the corps director and other volunteers and members if the person is legit. I think everyone on these kinds of forums is real, but better safe than sorry!

Better yet, call the corps office BEFORE posting and ask if any volunteers or corps members live near you or are driving through your area. That will up the legit factor right away.