Pits are way too loud nowadays.

Even when the pit wasn't amplified (yes, there are times that we actually bring the faders down)

So the staff is actively controlling the dynamic level of the performers during competition? Nice. <**>

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the following question really that stupid that it doesn't at least deserve comment?

Why can't the recording mics be placed at or close to "the box"- the intended audible focus point of all show designs?

This of course doesn't help the majority of fans who must tolerate out of balance amps at other parts of the venue, but it seems that it would provide the intended balance on the CDs. Also seems like crowd noise wouldn't be a concern as the mics could be placed behind most of that.

I am obviously anti-amp but if we must live with it we must maximize its effectiveness.

So the staff is actively controlling the dynamic level of the performers during competition? Nice. <**>

Now does that seem legal to you?

Exactly, because I've never noticed this at live performances. But seriously, on this year's CDs, the entire intro to Ave Maria (leading up to the trumpetone :P melody) can barely be heard because it's drowned out by the pit.

The intro in Ave Maria was a pit feature for about 8 measures. Also in defense for the amps, not only does it help minimize the distorted sounds of the keyboards, it helps prevent several injuries like tendonitis, or erosion in the wrist. Instead of playing the heck out of the keyboards trying to barely be heard over a fortissimo being played by the brass, the pit can play a comfortable double forte instead of FFFFFFFFF. The amps also help ease the stress of many university professors worrying about their students coming back with injuries preventing them from playing for a semester. Keep the amps, just learn to put the microphones not so close to the amps. Let's see what happens on the DVDs.

mics also help with the sound effects. For example: a rachet or a string drum. it adds the effects over the hornline. and speaking of hornlines, if you haven't noticed, they are becoming more powerful these days. They easily cover up the pit. The pit wouldn't be heard at the box without amps. at first i disapproved of it, but now i'm a fan. it's nice to have pit features that can be heard. for instance, the intro of Bohemian Rhapsody of Crown '04, that effect wouldn't of happened without amps. And now that someone can control them, then it can easily be balanced with the corps

And now that someone can control them, then it can easily be balanced with the corps

But why should this be allowed? To improve the sound quality? If so, why the pit and not the horns and battery? Once the corps goes on the field it should be all their show, not some guy on the sideline turning dials.

no....it does not improve sound quality. Sound quailty is the way that the performer plays on the intrument and the sound that comes out of the instrument is the sound quality. They can either use no mics and bang the crap out of the instrument and have a crappy, thuddy sound or they can play at a lower level and have the wood speak and hear the sound of the notes rather than bar itself and make more dynamic contrast. mics just carry the sound up while the pit plays at a more concert playing level. And mics are the only way to get real dynamics and no not because of the mics doing it, but the performers play them at the correct level with an even volume on the mics. The batteries sound already carries to the box and a hornline, if good, can produce great sound quality by staying in the same pitch area and learning how to mesh with on another. The guy on the sidelines doesn't do the dynamics for them. Anyone can tell that.

Edited by PRpitster

here...try this. go and mic a hornline and battery. then you come back to me and let me know if that has helped with the sound quality. let me know if a high school band can sound like a div. 1 drum corps. trust me on that it won't make thier sound quality better, it just might make them prctice more

Is the following question really that stupid that it doesn't at least deserve comment?

Why can't the recording mics be placed at or close to "the box"- the intended audible focus point of all show designs?

no thats a great question. and that actually might make the sound of the recording even better...it'd have to be tried out.

but the reason why the amplification sounds so loud on the recording, is because the speakers that all the corps have are probably pointed right directly at the Mics...probably not on purpose either, thats just the angles of the speakers. What would truely be a nice thing, but i doubt this would ever happen, is have the same mics up in front of the pit, but then also mics behind the pit. So then you'd be able to go in and blend the 2 together.

And as people have said, the amps sound nice and blended from where they are sitting, but thats just how things go because you aren't at the same place as the mics.

But there are some things that DCI could try that'd make the recordings better, but who knows if they would do it...

The guy on the sidelines doesn't do the dynamics for them. Anyone can tell that.

Did you miss the post by the Bluecoats sound guy?