DCI demands!

I want to preface this post by saying that this is my personal opinion and does not reflect the opinion of any other individual or organization. Any responses, rebuffs or retaliations should be directed at me and not the group I am involved with.

I have just been informed that DCI will require corps to commit to Championship week for 2007 in Pasadena by Sept. 30. Let me take a minute to compose myself.

As it stands, DCI has no information about tour shows, no date or location for any focus shows and no time or location for II/III performances for finals week. I'm sure there are several corps who will be going no matter what. For those corps who walk the budget tightrope, the 2007 tour could break them. Yes, I can hear you now, "Just take a year off." Let me take another minute to compose myself.

Much has been made recently about the responsibilities of each corps and the responsibility of DCI. As a person who IS responsible for the well-being of a corps and ALL the people involved, I need as much information as possible to make those decisions.

How can DCI expect this kind of blind committment to finals week if corps have no idea where it's going to be, where they are going to have to travel and what shows they will be required and/or permitted to perform in. I cannot set a budget for food or transportation if I don't know where I'm going. I cannot coordinate volunteers until I can tell them where and when we are traveling.

DCI needs to commit to giving corps a reasonable amount of information before asking them to commit to a trip to ????????

As I reread this post before I sent it off, I thought of the West Coast Corps who have probably making this argument for years. I wish to extend this call to committment to all future seasons.

Rick Melcher

Dad, Cook, Driver, Bingo Worker, Concession Stand Worker, First Aid Giver, Navigator, Recruiter, Host Parent, Board of Directors

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you're obviously aware of the treatment that Division 2/3 get from DCI...which is even more ridiculous when you consider many of the decisions affecting division 2/3 are made by the directors of 2/3.

I hope this doesn't affect too many corps.

DCI does Div II/III as a service to the corps. Putting on the DIV II/III championships is a money losing proposition every year. Perhaps they are trying to do advance planning.

We have known that DCI is going to CA for over a year now. I would venture to say that most corps have been doing advance planning.

DCI does Div II/III as a service to the corps. Putting on the DIV II/III championships is a money losing proposition every year. Perhaps they are trying to do advance planning.

We have known that DCI is going to CA for over a year now. I would venture to say that most corps have been doing advance planning.

Using that same argument, one would expect DCI to have done some advance planning. Therefor, they should be able to give the Div ii/iii corps some info.

If they can't, I can think of two reasons why.

1. they haven't planned ahead yet that far, and therefor shouldn't expect the corps to have done so. (for corps to make "good" plans, they need to know what they are planning for.

2. they don't care, which should get people ticked off with an organization that is supposedly "for the kids"

B.

I don't think this should be treated with much surprise. The corps have known for a while that champs week was going to be in Pasadena in 07. My corps has been planning for this since before we went on tour this year. Others who haven't been doing the same may regret that decision. I think DCI is playing it smart, and looking out for corps who can't handle the trip. Should corps X forfeit the chance to go to champs week while they can? Or make a last minute push into a potential money pit of a tour that pushes them under? I don't like losing corps, and have no real problem with this at the moment.

:worthy: May we be forever worthy of DCI's efforts! "I get it. It's a profit making scheme. Well, that takes all the pressure off."

We have known that DCI is going to CA for over a year now.

The site and schedule has not been announced for II/III finals. Sacramento? Vegas? Denver?

all corps have been planning on this the same amount of time. However, your corps, as I know many of them, does not have to worry about this type of stuff as much as a corps with 30 people in it. I agree with the original post. if you don't know exactly how long you'd be touring for, how can you exactly make plans, it doesn't make sense. they should have the schedule well in advance so that smaller corps can actually decide at this point if they're going to field or not, instead of blindly going after it. everything costs money, the more people you have, the more money you have. corps with 30 people still have to pay for busses and such.

I don't think this should be treated with much surprise. The corps have known for a while that champs week was going to be in Pasadena in 07. My corps has been planning for this since before we went on tour this year. Others who haven't been doing the same may regret that decision. I think DCI is playing it smart, and looking out for corps who can't handle the trip. Should corps X forfeit the chance to go to champs week while they can? Or make a last minute push into a potential money pit of a tour that pushes them under? I don't like losing corps, and have no real problem with this at the moment.

w/Stp: