DCI demands!

ROMAN BLENSKI: The division II/III corps will never find Drum Corps Midwest, since we relocated to my nana's backyard!

{ominous music}

DCM MINION: The burgers are done, sir. {holds up a tray of burgers}

ROMAN BLENSKI: Fantastic!

($1 to Cheat Commandos...O's)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this talk about having a separate show for all the corps who can’t make the trip to Pasadena is just bogus. Let’s make life easier for the east coast corps, screw the corps in the west. When finals were in Boston in 05, there wasn’t talk of having a show for all the corps from the west that couldn’t make the trip to the east coast. (BDB, SCVC, Mystikal, Gold, Spokane, Academy, Jester)

Yes, there was. The shows in Sunnyvale (July 16) and Sacramento (July 17) were the result.

Yes, there was. The shows in Sunnyvale (July 16) and Sacramento (July 17) were the result.

The difference was that those were regularly scheduled shows where corps choose to end their season.

No different than if an east coast corps choose to end their season after the last show on the coast. But don't expect a "special" show where they can meet up with the west coast corps in the mid-west somewhere.

I'm not going to stand on a soap box or pound my fist on the table, but please consider this:

DCI Finals has never been held in the state (or even near) that has on many...many occassions produced the world champions in Divs. I, II, & III. The 2007 season will most likely go down in drum corps history as the only West coast finals ever held. California corps don't complain about having to travel to the farthest reaches. They just deal with it and plan accordingly. IMO, East coast corps should show solidarity and do the same. Come to compete at your highest levels. I can't wait for a week of drum corps saturation!!

The difference was that those were regularly scheduled shows where corps choose to end their season.

No different than if an east coast corps choose to end their season after the last show on the coast. But don't expect a "special" show where they can meet up with the west coast corps in the mid-west somewhere.

Oh, is that the issue? OK - I don't think anyone was suggesting we urge the Western II/III corps to travel clear out to the Midwest just to support a show for Eastern corps that aren't going to championships in 2007.

I think they're only asking for a "yes we're planning" or a "no, we no plans", and with this info will layout a tour schedule and whatnot for the corps to work with. Also a good opportunity to work on housing for Pasadena early and effectively. I don't think there will be a penalty for saying "yes" then dropping out later.

I believe this is correct, and penalities would not be assessed unless a corps drops out after the contracts are signed (which I believe would be early in 2007).

As far as the Sept. 30 deadline, well DCI is having it's annual meeting that weekend in Chicago, so by then all corps will have a tentative schedule, and can see where they will be leading into finals week.

It was often predicted in the mid 80s that DCI would be the end to Drum Corps youth (for the hundreds of THOUSANDS of the young, yep back in 50-80 those were the totals) that actually benefited from the youth activity. When DCI got a secure foothold in, the $$ was more important than the youth. I see it getting worse and soon, there will be all of us oldtimers marching in DCA corps with our kids. Heck most of us are doing that now. I say F-DCI.

OK, that was harsh... How about bringing back DCM & BSA & VFW & Catholic DC (out East) for all the groups at 2/3 level. That is where I started, getting a uniform inspection before the down in New Orleans by an old big nosed VFW guy. We played and traveled with Jr. Blue Stars, Sundowners, Jr. Madison Scouts, Capitalairs, etc. It was how we progressed and occasionally one of the troops would make a leap for a DCI corps. Sometimes, like the Rivermen in '79, the whole corps made the leap. AND on the rare occasion, they actually made it! Top out at 22 in '80, but the corps was gone by '85.

DCI needs to remember that drum corps is not only for the music majors of the world, it's for all who like music, dance and theatre. Young people. When was the last time you looked at the audition materials for a DI corps? Heck, 1/2 the musicians I knew couldn't sightread and our instuctors taught us measure to measure. If you could do a clean open roll, you were in the snareline. If you played drumset, you were a tenor. If you were a moose, you got tympany or the big bass drum. Oh ya, they are now in the pit and amplified...

What happend while I was away?

Edited by dlp40

All this talk about having a separate show for all the corps who can’t make the trip to Pasadena is just bogus. Let’s make life easier for the east coast corps, screw the corps in the west. When finals were in Boston in 05, there wasn’t talk of having a show for all the corps from the west that couldn’t make the trip to the east coast. (BDB, SCVC, Mystikal, Gold, Spokane, Academy, Jester)

If you can’t make it, so be it. We’ll miss you, but finals will go on. :worthy:

yah its bogus...as you said, bascially nobody cares about the corps in the west, its only about the east coast people. If they wanna show, make em travel for it, as the west coast corps do whenever finals are out east...get on a bus and quit complaining! Its not all about the east coast..

The ironic part is that no one from an East Coast corps has even been on here (or anywhere else) complaining about it. In fact, most everyone who has posted and is part of one of those eastern corps have stated the obvious - it's been known for over a year and they have already been planning, not to complain about it. Seems most of the people who keep beating the horse, so to speak, are those on the other coast.

Just an observation.

:worthy: