DCI demands!

No CA II/III corps "have to" go to Indy.

Once again:

No one in division II/III is forced to go to Pasadena in '07.

No one in division II/III is forced to go to Indianapolis in '08.

It's a free country, and drum corps is allowed to exist outside of DCI championship week.

True - but finals week IS the big party. You couldn't blame anyone for being disappointed if something as mudane as finances stop them from attending.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to be clear - we didn't fold. We did a tour, we just didn't go to DCI. If we had gone to DCI that year there would have been no Dutch Boy the following year. It was a wise move and we actually had a lot of fun that year. As far as I recall we didn't lose anyone as a result of the decision.

Is there any news on who/how many div 2/3 corps have declared their intention to attend finals?

Being on the west coast, I'm sure AA, OC, BDB, SCVC, Fever, Impulse, etc. will be able to make the trip. As far as the other Div. II corps in the mid-west and east, Memphis Sound, Spartans, ECJ and Teal Sound all plan on making the trip according to their websites. The only websites not mentioning anything (yet) are Jersey Surf and Colt Cadets; although I can't imagine Jersey not going.

Things can always change, though.

There are way too many Div. IIIs to go looking at every website, so I'll save that for later. lol

Being on the west coast, I'm sure AA, OC, BDB, SCVC, Fever, Impulse, etc. will be able to make the trip. As far as the other Div. II corps in the mid-west and east, Memphis Sound, Spartans, ECJ and Teal Sound all plan on making the trip according to their websites. The only websites not mentioning anything (yet) are Jersey Surf and Colt Cadets; although I can't imagine Jersey not going.

There are way too many Div. IIIs to go looking at every website, so I'll save that for later. lol

Spirit of Newark has announced their intention to go to Pasadena on their website.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is it that everyone here assumes that they know so much about what it takes to get to finals financially? And even if you do know a lot about corps finances, why do you all assume that you know so much about all of these corps' finances?

If you asked someone in the know, like a D2 director, they probably couldn't tell you with much degree of certainty about another corps. Why is it that everyone here is an expert?

The truth is that Finals is a week long trip. This year, certain corps will have to travel further. However, if everything else is the same, and we're talking about essentially the additional gas, think about this:

If a corps' caravan is a huge 10 vehicles (that's D1 size), and they all get an average of 10 mpg (rather low), the additional distance to the Rose Bowl from, say, Denver, is $900 one way, $1800 for both legs.

No one would be making a huge stink about Denver, and they didn't in 2004. So even if you factor in another $200 for traffic, you're saying that all of this hub-bub is over $2000 per corps. I'm not going to speculate on who that hurts most - like I said, who could know? - but seeing this as a huge gigantic burden seems silly to me. Yes, corps will have to drive a little longer. They may even need an oil change sooner. But I can't sit here and read all about all the "dire straights" that exist and not call ########.

From the Jersey Surf site:

Don't Just Dream It... Live It! Be a part of the 2007 Jersey Surf!

Be a part of the excitement of the Jersey Surf's 2007 two-week summer tour to the Drum Corps International World Championships in Pasadena, California!

Travel with The Surf for its first-ever West Coast Tour, through the Pacific Northwest and through the great state of California! You won't want to miss this incredible opportunity to be a part of history in the making as Drum Corps International stages its premiere event in California for the first time in its rich 35-year history.

The first "audition camp" for the 2007 season is scheduled for the weekend of November 24-26, 2006. If you would like to receive information about becoming a corps member for the upcoming season, please click the appropriate link below to fill out the request form for your section of interest.

2007 is going to be an amazing year for us, and we'd love for you to be a part of it! Complete the online membership information request form today!

From the Jersey Surf site:

Don't Just Dream It... Live It! Be a part of the 2007 Jersey Surf!

Be a part of the excitement of the Jersey Surf's 2007 two-week summer tour to the Drum Corps International World Championships in Pasadena, California!

Travel with The Surf for its first-ever West Coast Tour, through the Pacific Northwest and through the great state of California! You won't want to miss this incredible opportunity to be a part of history in the making as Drum Corps International stages its premiere event in California for the first time in its rich 35-year history.

The first "audition camp" for the 2007 season is scheduled for the weekend of November 24-26, 2006. If you would like to receive information about becoming a corps member for the upcoming season, please click the appropriate link below to fill out the request form for your section of interest.

2007 is going to be an amazing year for us, and we'd love for you to be a part of it! Complete the online membership information request form today!

Touring through the pacific northwest?? Hope that the corps is coming to spokane, wa.. Tour dates yet??

I think that DCI should try paying a little more attention to Div 2/3. Yeah the div 1 corps are the money makers but div 2/3 used to have a much bigger following. I don't know why it dropped off but I think if DCI gave 2/3 some more media attention, or just give more oppertunities, then 2/3 could become what it once was.