BD 1990 question

In the beginning of the "Tommy" show, the gong comes in a half-beat before the full-corps entrance. I seem to recall reading somewhere, sometime, that this is how it was supposed to happen. I'd always considered it one of those finals-night goofs. Anyone know which is right?

I always thought it was a mistake too- i saw it live, and after hearing the recordings and watching the dvd

a bazillion times i still think it's a mistake.

C'mon Gong pit person- post here will ya?

I agree that the BD finals recording sounds off. I have the Concord Pavilion tape somewhere too, but I can't remember how it sounded.

The versions I've heard by the Who seem to have a two 16th note pickup. Perhaps that was difficult to read or get to sound clean.

Side note: That Pavilion recording was really great IMO. The pace of the performance was less rushed, had a couple of extra repeats and was more musical IMO than the finals version. On the other hand, I'm sure it was grossly over time. The solos were fantastic too!

I loved this show. The start of a new era for BD. The "THEME"!

Exciting.

My marching band did the show last year, which was depressing because it sucked!!