I&E Soprano Solos - What gets played?

Hey Folks,

Unfortunately, I'm not able to make it out there this year to hear everyone at I&E ('twas the original plan).

However, I'm curious about what is played at I&E for soprano solos? Is it typical trumpet literature, or more varied?

Also, what type of equipment are people playin' on, G sopranos or Bb trumpets?

I'll probably be heading out next year and wanted to participate (not that I'll be makin' a run at the title or anything, just showin' the colors :) ).

Thanks,

Hey Jim.... I can give you the answer right here in Seattle...

BOTH

while there will be plenty of G bugles... there will no doubt be a fair amount of Bb horns...

but isn't that the gem of the whole thing... at I&E it truly is the quality of the individual...

I'm doing A Night in Tunisia on a G soprano.

Wow! Thanks for the quick response Tom.

So equipment is clear ...

Now, how about what music people are playin'. Is it typical trumpet literature, or more varied?

I'd hate to be workin' on the Arutunian, when I could be doin' a cool Clifford Brown solo!

I played Harlem Nocturne one year and Rainmaker the next. I wanted to do music people have heard and can familiarize with.

I think people generally play whatever they think will best showcase their abilites. If you're a jazzer, play something like that. Or you can go "legit." I played a traditional cornet solo way back in the day and it worked out just fine for me. :) I've seen folks do everything from "Trumpeter's Lullaby" to Maynard. I think the variety is what makes it fun!

Here's to seeing you in the line-up next year!

wonder what the highest note played on a sop solo at I&E's was?

C?

D?

I hope to play a simple respectable tune "Nature Boy" on an old single valve/slide soprano that I fixed for the occasion :blink:

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

It's nice to know that there's variety of options, I'll just have to find something that fits me and give it a try :)

It also sounds like you're among friends and tasty beverages aren't too far away :D

Good luck to everyone that's playing this year!

"Nature Boy"! Sweet choice.

I think I'll need the three-valve for my solo. I'm leaving my valve/rotor at home.