ESPN Broadcast: +'s and -'s

I'm seriously greatfull that DCI has made its way back on to Television, but it is nothing like what it used to be when it was on Public Television. FULL SHOWS!!!!! I know, I know. Their theory is that they want to give an over all experience to entice new drum corps fans. Well, I think there are two issues with this.

1. You could at least show 1 or 2 full shows through out the broad cast. How is a potential new fan suppose to really know what a full show is like until he/she sees one?

2. 99% of the people watching the broadcast aren't "new" anyway. They are all ready drum corps fans and tune in to watch the world championships only to feel cheated that they didn't get to actually watch any of the shows anyway.

Discuss.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the top 2 corps, they usually show a lot of the show. Close enough for me. Plus, even though you're right that most people who watch are already fans, we're talking about prime time on a network that a lot more average joe's watch/flipby/stop and watch for a bit/etc. more than PBS. It's the rare person I can get to watch an entire show on tv in their first sitting, so I think what DCI produces for ESPN is a very good idea.

Rich

I think you should come to milwaukee and watch it in my basement on my new tv while we eat wing's and drink Linies"Root Beer" :)

What an invitation! :rolleyes: Linies"Root Beer"

Note: Not bad Rookie i did not know DCI was once Broadcast on the Public Channel. Wow!

The WordRider

For the top 2 corps, they usually show a lot of the show. Close enough for me. Plus, even though you're right that most people who watch are already fans, we're talking about prime time on a network that a lot more average joe's watch/flipby/stop and watch for a bit/etc. more than PBS. It's the rare person I can get to watch an entire show on tv in their first sitting, so I think what DCI produces for ESPN is a very good idea.

I understand your point. In my experience though, either the new person likes it or doesn't like it about 30 seconds into watching it. Regardless of seeing a full show or not. So why cater to the 1% of the people watching, who may or may not like it?

It's like tuning into watch the Super Bowl and just getting an overview on Football instead of actually getting to see the game.

They should at least show the entire show of the champion, they've earned it!! :)

You have to think about "what's in it for ESPN?" They can't just play a bunch of entire shows for 3 or 4 hours, unless DCI gave them a bunch of friggin money. ESPN has to make money off the broadcast, and since it's not going to attract millions of viewers, people aren't going to be paying ESPN millions of dollars to place their adds on during the broadcast. That is why the program is relatively short, for time and money's sake, but it also does produce a very good product for the little time they are using.