Armchair Director...

How do you program a title contending show for Canton?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Music book:

• ...needs to take some risks; it's too safe and "sterile".
    • ...is about where it needs to be to contend.
    • ...needs to new approach altogether.
  2. 2. Visual Design:

• ...has to step up to contend; good, but needs more "wow".
    • ...is about where it needs to be to contend.
    • ...needs a new approach altogether.
  3. 3. Which is more conducive to bringing a title to Canton?

• ...more complexity in music book.
    • ...more complexity in visual design.
    • ...both have to step up.

The Cavaliers are physically aggressive? :music:

Nope. Nothing aggressive about a show where a good 8-10 minutes is spent marching fairly difficult drill between 185ish and 200ish.

Anyway . . .

For a Canton victory, I think the real hump is in the visual program. I love mostly love and/or like Doug Thrower's brass arranging and their brass sound (mostly) but it is the visual program that leaves me wanting.

To be fair, though, pretty much everyone's visual program other than the Cavaliers leaves me wanting, with a few exceptions, like SCV from this year.

As long as they stay the course and figure out some truly "WOW" moments with the drill (as far as I'm concerned, they've definitely done it musically), then they should be able to find whatever it is they're looking for eventually, if they haven't already found it yet.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a lot people think visual is key according to the poll...Mitch Rogers is someone I'm not real familiar with, though.

Maybe an addition alongside him in the visual staff to help punch up the difficulty?

It's not really difficulty. Their shows ARE difficult. But just because it's definitely doesn't necessarily mean its effective or looks particularly interesting, and while there are lots of nice moments, that's usually what they are. Nice moments.

I never get that "excuse me while I pick my jaw off the floor feeling."

Visually speaking. But like I said, to be fair, there's pretty much only one corps who makes me feel that way from a visual standpoint. So if Bluecoats can pull that off . . . that would be impressive.

Edited by jake_the_hydra

It's not really difficult. Their shows ARE difficult. But just because it's definitely doesn't necessarily mean its effective or looks particularly interesting, and while there are lots of nice moments, that's usually what they are. Nice moments.

I never get that "excuse me while I pick my jaw off the floor feeling."

Visually speaking. But like I said, to be fair, there's pretty much only one corps who makes me feel that way from a visual standpoint. So if Bluecoats can pull that off . . . that would be impressive.

There are more ways to have impressive drill than doing "Variations on a Box" and just because it's effective doesn't mean it's difficult :P

I do agree that there weren't really that many jaw dropping moments visually from the Bluecoats this year, I just don't want to see them become copycats of a certain corps from Illinois that doesn't wear white uniforms. :P

Edited by dbc03

I love all the "Armchair Directors" guestimating what Bluecoats might and must do

to "win" or "bump into the top 3"! It shows that people are watching and waiting

for something to happen.

I'm sure those on the "inside" will remain quiet about their ideas of direction for 2007

into the November camp. Sooo, only those insiders and those that make the first camp

with the intent of making the corps will have any glimps of future plans.

Yes, new uniforms are coming, and many other unknowns will happen to once again

make the corps stand out among the elite in Division 1! It's going to be a VERY

exciting year!

GO BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I love all the "Armchair Directors" guestimating what Bluecoats might and must do

to "win" or "bump into the top 3"! It shows that people are watching and waiting

for something to happen.

I'm sure those on the "inside" will remain quiet about their ideas of direction for 2007

into the November camp. Sooo, only those insiders and those that make the first camp

with the intent of making the corps will have any glimps of future plans.

Yes, new uniforms are coming, and many other unknowns will happen to once again

make the corps stand out among the elite in Division 1! It's going to be a VERY

exciting year!

GO BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

New uniforms for 2007? Great!

There are more ways to have impressive drill than doing "Variations on a Box" and just because it's effective doesn't mean it's difficult :P

I do agree that there weren't really that many jaw dropping moments visually from the Bluecoats this year, I just don't want to see them become copycats of a certain corps from Illinois that doesn't wear white uniforms. :P

I don't think having an interesting and satisfying visual program means you're copying just The Cavaliers. Star did it, SCV has done it, and every now and then The Cadets do it, too.

^0^

edit: and new bloo uniforms would probably be a good career move.

Edited by jake_the_hydra

I don't really think Blue is in a hump... they've moved up every since 99, with the exception of 2-03 when they placed 7th both years.

I think though, for them to reach top 3 status, they need to have a stronger visual program. it is already REALLY good, and I really loved watching it, but I think with a stronger visual design, the corps will move up.

the music is alreayd very good... not much more they can do to make it anymore risky. I think they just play so well, it doesn't sound risky... because it's so clean.

~>conner

I'm pretty much with Conner. I think BC went over the hump a few years ago. I guess the hump Bawker refers to here is the top 3 "hump."

I dunno... I watched coats practicing and watched them compete. I reeeeeeaaaallly liked them this year and felt like I was watching a contender.

I had a hard time answering #3 in this "questionaire" here... I mean, what if my answer was "pretty much where they should be" for that one?

The differences at that competitive level are BOTH minimal and obvious at the same time ... I didn't see MUCH difference in difficulty or complexity

from coats to dev's to cadets and crown. It was just in the delivery from my perspective. Cav's and PR absolutely left everything they had on the

field August 12th. That was the difference to me... not complexity of show or music and vis.

Edited by GGarrett

Seems like a lot people think visual is key according to the poll...Mitch Rogers is someone I'm not real familiar with, though.

Maybe an addition alongside him in the visual staff to help punch up the difficulty?

Mitch Rogers is an established drill designer in the marching arts. If you're familiar with the marching band activity, Mitch was the designer for Plymouth Canton Educational Park of Michigan from the 1990's-2003 and is currently the designer for Stephen F. Austin HS of Texas. Both bands have taken numerous 'Outstanding Visual Performance' & 'Outstanding Visual General Effect' captions at the Bands of America Regional & Grand National level.

http://www.pcmb.net/SB/Year2001/Photo01b.htm

http://www.austinbulldog.fotki.com/2004-20...imar/page3.html

Also, Mitch was the Program Coordinator for the 2002 Santa Clara Vanguard before joining the Bluecoats.