French horns?

I was extremely proud to be a good french horn player that could march. It's a great skill. And had a beautiful sound.

Our big thing in my corps was to not play so loud on them that we sounded like bleating goats.

Me too, and that was my first year of marching drum corps. I was 16..it does take great skill.

My ageout year saw a small hornline -- 21 horns or so. One other contra player besides me, also an ageout.

Our midhorns ended up with two mellos and six (yes, 6!) French horns. What a sound.

Seriously, I think that French horns are the special ingredient that's been missing from DCI lines over the past dozen years.

GR loved to write for the French horn and mellophone. Maybe it was because he was a French horn player himself. Listen to SCV’s 74 opener. We were also blessed to have some great players in those sections. Phil Olds, Mel Canales, Jim Ott, Stanley Knaub, Scott Pierson, Dan Smith, Mike Hamlin, Steve Fisher and Eric Unruh were some of the guys I marched with, all great players.

add Jim Janda and Gerry Lotte to this list ... and why I remember this who knows but the french horns had a song that was sung to the tune of the "Work" song the Seven Dwarves sang in Snow White

we poke, poke, poke, poke, poke, poke, poke

we poke the whole day through

we poke, poke, poke, poike, poke, poke, poke

it's what we like to do

our hands are quick, our eyes are keen, our nimble fingers fly

if anybody hassles us we poke them in the eye

and there were MANY verses I just don't remember them (even though they were sung incessantly in the back of Bus 3 all through the summer of 74)

btw ... french horns are alive and well in the Renegades B)

add Jim Janda and Gerry Lotte to this list ... and why I remember this who knows but the french horns had a song that was sung to the tune of the "Work" song the Seven Dwarves sang in Snow White

we poke, poke, poke, poke, poke, poke, poke

we poke the whole day through

we poke, poke, poke, poike, poke, poke, poke

it's what we like to do

our hands are quick, our eyes are keen, our nimble fingers fly

if anybody hassles us we poke them in the eye

and there were MANY verses I just don't remember them (even though they were sung incessantly in the back of Bus 3 all through the summer of 74)

btw ... french horns are alive and well in the Renegades B)

:worthy::worthy::worthy: Oh my gosh JoJo, I remember that now. Considering I was "going" with one of those French Horn players then :worthy: , I should remember the words. However, the operative words here are "sung incessantly" and all we could do was groan and let the words fly in one ear and out the other. Thanks for the memory. :)

Freelancers did away with the french horns when we got the three valve altos and mellos in 1990.

Ken H.

Freelancers did away with the french horns when we got the three valve altos and mellos in 1990.

Ken H.

OUCH! "Did away with french horns"

Yeah, see? We whacked em, good, see?

1) Not soon enough...

2) Because no one but Conn ever built one that played...

Edited by rayfallon