• Phantom 2005
    • Phantom 2006
    • Cavies 2002
    • Cavies 2004
    • Cavies 2006
    • Blue Devils 2001
    • Blue Devils 2004
    • Blue Devils 2006

I'm reminded of a brass judge tape in 02 when he makes a commet to the effect of "this approach to playing . . . some people think it's easy. They don't know."

Something to think about. Whenever anyone talks about how "easy" anyone's hard books are (not just the Cavaliers), I'd love to know what years they marched that corps.

I don't think a lot of you understand.

Book and The Actual Ensemble's Playing are two related but very different things.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people like being able to listen to hornlines without winceing or sadly laughing in disbelief at the complete disregard for tone color and ensemble clarity, justifying it by saying that it's drum corps, when it's actually just an immature approach to playing in an ensemble.

Meh, I don't hear the glaring problems that you apparently do

Some people like being able to listen to hornlines without winceing or sadly laughing in disbelief at the complete disregard for tone color and ensemble clarity, justifying it by saying that it's drum corps, when it's actually just an immature approach to playing in an ensemble.

There is no immature approach to playing in finalist division 1 corps. These brass captionheads are teaching their valid approach to playing in the ensemble. Some groups do it better, but I promise you there is no drum corps that "completely disregards" "tone color and ensemble clarity".

This is drum corps. We don't disregard tone or ensemble clarity, it's just hard to perform well on the move.

Let me add, that the majority of the audience, as soon as they pass Crown on the finals lineup cannot hear differences in quality of playing very well. The top 10 virtually all sound great from the seats, no one is focused on the sound as keenly as a highly trained and experienced judge. Take a group people who aren't tone deaf and have them go only to the 03-06 finals shows. Without knowing captions like us DCP nerds, the majority of that group will most likely drool over Phantom Regiment and Carolina Crown. Why? You know why.

Edited by ApocalypseTissue

The majority of people with a decent sense of music education would most likely prefer Phantom or Crown from 03-06? I'm fascinated. Why, exactly would the majority with a decent sense of music education prefer those two corps, specifically, and how do you know?

I think Phantom and Crown are two completely different animals. Sure, they might sound similar in the lot, but not on the field.

I'm just saying they are pleasant to hear and their books bring out a great hornline. I guarantee you that no one in finals night could be sure of the Jim Ott winner without the aid of a recap sheet.

Anyway I'm just completely baffled that some of you can look down on other hornlines and say that they're not even trying to get a balanced sound.

THEY ARE ALL TRYING, there are only a handful that actually can satisfy that pickiness. You cannot just shut down other groups and accuse them that they've got an immature approach to playing in the corps.

Edited by ApocalypseTissue

The majority of people with a decent sense of music education would most likely prefer Phantom or Crown from 03-06? I'm fascinated. Why, exactly would the majority with a decent sense of music education prefer those two corps, specifically, and how do you know?

I'm talking high school kids, sorry for being vague. I'm saying nontone deaf people. People have a tendency to like particularily Phantom Regiment's hornline.

I'm just saying they are pleasant to hear and their books bring out a great hornline. I guarantee you that no one in finals night could be sure of the Jim Ott winner without the aid of a recap sheet.

Anyway I'm just completely baffled that some of you can look down on other hornlines and say that they're not even trying to get a balanced sound.

THEY ARE ALL TRYING, there are only a handful that actually can satisfy that pickiness. You cannot just shut down other groups and accuse them that they've got an immature approach to playing in the corps.

I didn't accuse anyones approach, I just don't feel that either of those hornlines are the same on the field.

I'm talking high school kids, sorry for being vague. I'm saying nontone deaf people. People have a tendency to like particularily Phantom Regiment's hornline.

I'd say like anything else, for somebody with a good ear, the corps with the best sounding hornlines change from year to year. Phantom and Crown are both in there with massively appealing hornlines some years, but not others. I was just wondering why you would make such a big claim first of all, and second of all, why, exactly you picked those 2 specific corps.