Mad? Alum Corps

Usually, it's folks who have lived nothing substantial in the 1st place :huh:

You are NOT 35 plus whatever.............it would just be too cruel to your admiring fans. b**bs

MiamiSun76

Helpppp Meeeee? :rock: What does this mean, are you insulting me?

I was 35 then, but that was a while ago!

Are you saying that it must have been a crappy run so I felt I needed to recapture my youth by doing it again in 1994? If so, I get it! :rock:

If not.....I'm sorry!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MiamiSun76

Helpppp Meeeee? :rock: What does this mean, are you insulting me?

Are you saying that it must have been a crappy run so I felt I needed to recapture my youth by doing it again in 1994? If so, I get it! :rock:

If not.....I'm sorry!

Nancy - Not to speak for someone else, but I think MiamiSun was referring to people like the original poster who

never really participated in the first place, criticizing us that have participated. :)

Congrats to MSARP, I was there to see you and all I can say is WOW! I am sure that your success and influence will serve the Madison Scouts well now and into the future.

There are some other alumni projects that do not get as much mention and they are having the effect of keeping drum corps alive in areas where drum corps no longer exist, like the Greater New Orleans Drum Corps Association (http://www.gnodca.org). They are working their way through post Katrina issues but have a strong nuclei.

Siggo, you have yet to mention how much you have contributed to anything from the soup kitchen down the street to the drum corps of your choice. If this were Mythbusters we'd declare you busted.

Folks:

You are missing the point.

Whether Madison is or is not in financial straights at this very point is not the question.

The point is would not the money be better spent by infusing it back into the organization to promote the young men of tomorrow? (instead of spending money on plane tickets, gas for the car, food, lodging)

Was it really necessary to see a bunch of grown men whom already had the opportunity to march in a highly recognized corps in the past, march again? (The consensus is that the Alumni corps was more entertaining then the young men on the field that night representing the orgainization).

"They" say the Scouts are losing their roots by performing programs that are not in the Madison tradition.

By providing the funds the corps can take that tradition to the next level without having to "play the game" to the hilt. The Scouts of recent have changed to make sure they stay in the mainstream and to maintain the money flow via DCI. (Was that not the basis for Scott being asked to leave)

However, to "play the game" it takes money.

Therefore, to provide the young men of the Scouts of today and tomorrow to "play the game" and take the tradition to the next level it takes money. (That is just a fact of life in DCI today)

But apparently it was more important for the alumni to relive their past instead of providing for the future.

In other words, did the Scouts of 2006 get the best bang for their buck???

Rather had the Alumni infused the money they spent to field an alumni corps to the organization prior to the 2006 season maybe the staff would have had the resources to field a "traditional" Scouts' within the ambit of "playing the game" and hence been a force to be reckon with.

If Sal had the resources he could have fielded a dynamite corps and no one would have said anything different, though the corps may have done something differently musically, it would have nevertheless been stylish--in the Madison tradition.

They just could not carry it off this year because the corps did not have the adequate backing for it.

Dude.. chill out. They were just having fun. Don't make this a big deal, cause it's really not

Jim:

I'm game. But wouldn't you rather send the money you'd spend on drinks to UNICEF to start up a drum corps in Biafra?

Just got back on line after helping out my dad (but didn't buy him drinks).....

Mike,

^0^ :P

Jim

PS - Isn't Anaheim Alumni corps planning to use the $$$ and unis to help form a Junior corps after 2007 DCI?? Least that's what I heard from someone who just joined the corps and hopes his uni will go on and on.....

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

MiamiSun76

Helpppp Meeeee? :worthy: What does this mean, are you insulting me?

Are you saying that it must have been a crappy run so I felt I needed to recapture my youth by doing it again in 1994? If so, I get it! :worthy:

If not.....I'm sorry!

That's what I get for running two thoughts together.

The 1st statement was a general comment about those who frequently "pop-off" about alumni corps and alumni projects and re-living our youth. It's been my observation that, where drum corps is concerned, they often have no life to re-live.

A totally unrelated thought was that, judging by the many fans you have here (myself included), you think like a much younger person. And my mental image certainly will not allow me to think that any former 27th Lancer guard captain could look older than the way I remember them. :worthy::worthy:

Please forgive if I got wrapped up in my own words. I meant quite the opposite of an insult.

A totally unrelated thought was that, judging by the many fans you have here (myself included), you think like a much younger person. And my mental image certainly will not allow me to think that any former 27th Lancer guard captain could look older than the way I remember them. :worthy::worthy:

Believe me MiamiSun76, LancerFi looks FABULOUS for her age! To me she doesn't look all that different except now she sports blonde hair. :worthy:

PS - Isn't Anaheim Alumni corps planning to use the $$$ and unis to help form a Junior corps after 2007 DCI?? Least that's what I heard from someone who just joined the corps and hopes his uni will go on and on.....

If thats true it would be the best thing to come out of an alumni corps yet. Anahiem back on the field again :worthy::worthy::worthy:

I hope the guard will keep the kick ### high boots and long skirts.

For anyone out there thinking of joining an alumni corps, don't hesitate - do it. Its the most rewarding thing I've done in years.

All the time spent memorizing music, going to the gym 3 to 4 days a week to get back in shape, sweating through M&M (yes I'm old) rehearsals

was more than worth it. As someone else mentioned "you can go home again" and feel like you're 20 years old again.

If nothing else, like Geno mentioned, the countless number of fans coming up and thanking you afterwards will be all the rewards

you'll ever need. The screaming fans and endless standing ovations doesn't feel too bad either.

That's what I get for running two thoughts together.

The 1st statement was a general comment about those who frequently "pop-off" about alumni corps and alumni projects and re-living our youth. It's been my observation that, where drum corps is concerned, they often have no life to re-live.

Please forgive if I got wrapped up in my own words. I meant quite the opposite of an insult.

You are more than kind!

I was actually reading it incorrectly. I'd have to agree. Some people that seem sour on the alumni/reunion idea may have another motive or agenda.

I'm not talking about the people that believe an alumni corps should all be alums. I definitely see their point and understand it totally and respect that they can do that!

And Ms. Malibu, you are also being more than kind!