Cadets

The design team has been in need of new, fresh creativity for a very long time. This years show brok no new ground, set no new trend, and dropped no jaws. Its time for creativity to take forefront and leave the gimmics and anticvs behind. I agree with everythig Elliot said except about the guard.

They didnt revolutionize any of these concepts that bands werent already doing, and much better. Vocally ? Klunker city in regards to the ballad, setting the mood, and actual phrases chosen. nevermind the lack of consistency technically.

The characters werent revolutionary, the tables werent revolutionary. The field has gone 3-d before, back in 1985 when the marauders used ladders, back in 1990 when Scouts used stools, just to name a few.

Cadets need to reinvent themselves, have a "take no prisoner" attitude" and come up with something the audience can embrace, love and cheer for.

This will be an interesting off-season

~G~

speaking of 3d... Has anybody seen the old Footage of "Les Etoiles" and the vertically spinning ladders? b**bs

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clarify, I attended 17 shows. That's right. Count them. 17. That's credibility right there, #####es.

Just an honest question - If I brought my grandma, who is losing her sight, is hard of hearing, knows nothing of drum corps, and doesn't have any of her own teeth (had to add that in there.. heheh) to 17 shows, would that mean that she'd become a credible source of information regarding the activity, or any of the groups within it?

Credibility is the believability of a statement, action, or source, and the propensity of the observer to believe that statement. Contemporary social science research has generally found that there are several dimensions of credibility. The two most important, IMO, are Competence, and Trustworthiness.

Since we have no metre by which to gauge your trustworthiness online, (because the internet by nature has a measure of anonymity) We must judge your credibility based on Competence.

Now, in keeping with my original example..... do you think My Grandma would become any more competent, simply by viewing corps multiple times? Sure her personal opinions may become re-inforced by seeing the shows repeatedly, however, multiple viewings would not increase her competency in judgement or, therefore, the credibility of her judgement of a group or portion of this activity whatsoever.

I think there is some confusion between the concepts of credibility and personal opinion going on in this thread.

Edited by Canadacorps

Just an honest question - If I brought my grandma, who is losing her sight, is hard of hearing, knows nothing of drum corps, and doesn't have any of her own teeth (had to add that in there.. heheh) to 17 shows, would that mean that she'd become a credible source of information regarding the activity, or any of the groups within it?

Credibility is the believability of a statement, action, or source, and the propensity of the observer to believe that statement. Contemporary social science research has generally found that there are several dimensions of credibility. The two most important, IMO, are Competence, and Trustworthiness.

Since we have no metre by which to gauge your trustworthiness online, (because the internet by nature has a measure of anonymity) We must judge your credibility based on Competence.

Now, in keeping with my original example..... do you think My Grandma would become any more competent, simply by viewing corps multiple times? Sure her personal opinions may become re-inforced by seeing the shows repeatedly, however, multiple viewings would not increase her competency in judgement or, therefore, the credibility of her judgement of a group or portion of this activity whatsoever.

I think there is some confusion between the concepts of credibility and personal opinion going on in this thread.

Again, I was using sarcasm, smart one.

LaSqueegee thinks high school band nerds are credible. You should listen to him. He hates The Cadets.

I guess I should sell all of my Cadets t-shirts/sweatshirts/DVDs/CDs and forget about my love for the 1983/1984/1993/1995/1998/2000/2001 Cadets?? :blink:

EDIT - never mind......

Edited by kusankusho

Sometimes I wish Hop posted more often and actually explained himself. Because I really do not think he deserves as much as hate and bashing as he has been given. But, I guess when you are like JoePa then you expect it, but it isn't fair. Hop is a great guy. Someone who loves Corps and always will. He has given the Cadets its best years...and has changed this organization and "sport" for the better! I thank Hop and the Cadets for ALWAYS making people wonder and look over their shoulder when Finals is upon the other corps. As Fielder said once the Cadets are the ones he fears the most. And he really should fear them, and so should everyone else!

GO MAROON AND GOLD!

<now the bashing of my post and myself shall commence, I'm sure!>

Sometimes I wish Hop posted more often and actually explained himself. Because I really do not think he deserves as much as hate and bashing as he has been given. But, I guess when you are like JoePa then you expect it, but it isn't fair. Hop is a great guy. Someone who loves Corps and always will. He has given the Cadets its best years...and has changed this organization and "sport" for the better! I thank Hop and the Cadets for ALWAYS making people wonder and look over their shoulder when Finals is upon the other corps. As Fielder said once the Cadets are the ones he fears the most. And he really should fear them, and so should everyone else!

GO MAROON AND GOLD!

Agreed. Although I may not personally share some of his views, the rest of it is spot on. He has done much for the activity and the Cadets.