Cadets

I'm from the old school of drum corps, rotary piston horns, strap for the snares, posted colors, and marching tymps. No singing, no amps, not nuttin'!

I found the Cadets to be the most entertaning corps this summer, and wished I would have seen them more than once--now I am forced to actually dish out a few bucks to "Big Brother" and get the DVD to actually see what I missed, over and over again.

I saw these folks in the stands at DCI with the red circle split by its radii denouncing the use of amps (and based on my review of the various topics on this particular site focused on Garfield and Mr. George Hopkins).

I found the use, in particular by the cadets (and their vocals) to be enlightening, entertaining, and innovative.

It appears to be the census of this board to bash the cadets.

I have always seemed to be skeptical of their show (based primarily on the reviews of this site and others). However, time and time again, over the past 20 years I have always found them to be the most entertaining and worth the $$$ I spend at each show when I venture to such an event.

They keep pushing the envelope. Yet I will be very concerned should I ever see (let alone hear an oboe, clarinet, flute, or sax) in use within a drum corps. I was totally flabbergasted when I saw the announcement of such for the best in I & E at quarterfinals.

Should drum corps move to woood winds it will definitely cease being drum corps.

Not taking away from those individuals who won such recognition in Madison for those instruments, congrats, but DCI and you folks, you can hold your horses and perform at your respective state competitions in February. This is akin to break dancing at a ballet recital. It just don't fit.

What say you

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw these folks in the stands at DCI with the red circle split by its radii denouncing the use of amps (and based on my review of the various topics on this particular site focused on Garfield and Mr. George Hopkins).

I found the use, in particular by the cadets (and their vocals) to be enlightening, entertaining, and innovative.

They keep pushing the envelope. Yet I will be very concerned should I ever see (let alone hear an oboe, clarinet, flute, or sax) in use within a drum corps. I was totally flabbergasted when I saw the announcement of such for the best in I & E at quarterfinals.

Should drum corps move to woood winds it will definitely cease being drum corps.

Umm...your threshold of tolerance for change is oboes and clarinets. For others, the threshold is amps and vocals.

If you are going to draw a line, how can you criticize others for having drawn a similar line? At least your line hasn't been crossed yet, but through the introduction of ww in I & E, perhaps it is only a matter of time. I don't really have an opinion on the topic, so long as it is entertaining and the inclusion of _____ (insert "innovation" here) makes sense. If it doesn't make sense, then it's just people trying to see how much crap they can shoehorn into a field show, and I am most definitely against that.

BTW, Hop is moving toward no line at all. So if he succeeds, prepare to move your definition of what drum corps is, or prepare to be just like everyone else who complains about it not being drum corps anymore.

Just saying.

As for my view on it, whatever "drum corps" is, it'd better be entertaining. A lot of people made a big deal about the Cadets show this year, but frankly, I was neither freaked out by it or taken with its creativity. That's just me. There are parts of it that are quite wonderful, but it was an imperfect vision not fully realized, in either design or performance. I think even Hop would agree with that statement. The Cadets will learn from the experience and move on, as should we.

If you loved it, then cool. Good for you. I didn't hate it.

I am not against vocals--

heck it has been years since we all have heard the "dut dut dut"

of drumlines.

Before amps we have had vocals. (We have had corps sing in the past)

All amps do is "amplify" certain sounds. (Just like scoops on snares back in the 80's).

So there is really no change from the 70's and 80's.

The use of woodwinds is not a bugle--no mater the stretch of anyone's imagination.

The Cadets were getting bashed because they basically threw out the same show as 05' with a few modifications. Even Hoppy himself admitted to doing "the same thing over and over again" in an interview with Dan Potter after the San Antonio show. They showed up with all their amps and vocals and totally overeached.

Chris Scott:

This is a new issue--just because someone switches thier icon every three minutes does not make the issue rehashed.)

From what I have read the Cadets "sucked" because of the use of vocals and amps.

After consideration they were no different then what has been done in the past by any coorps.

In addition, the hanging of Mr. Hopknis in effigy based on "some" of his changes brought forth by the cadets is not warranted.

I am not against vocals--

heck it has been years since we all have heard the "dut dut dut"

of drumlines.

Before amps we have had vocals. (We have had corps sing in the past)

All amps do is "amplify" certain sounds. (Just like scoops on snares back in the 80's).

So there is really no change from the 70's and 80's.

The use of woodwinds is not a bugle--no mater the stretch of anyone's imagination.

Yeah, Garfield Cadets did it back in '79 and got a penalty for it. :rock:

Think about it, even then they were trying to push drum corps into the field of a singing band.

The reason people are so upset with George Hopkins is, it is HE who keeps bringing up the crazy ideas such as singing, amps, more members on the field, woodwinds and such that is taking away from what drum corps used to be. Some foks do not take "change" very lightly. I understand in order for the activity to stay alive perhaps "some" changes are needed, but let's not go so far as putting more BAND INSTRUMENTS ON THE FIELD......especially WOODWINDS! ampssuck

It also has a lot to do with the guy running the Cadets. Needless to say, he's not the most popular guy out there.