Thank you from DCA.

audiodb,

If you go to the Rhinos soccer website, a map of parking IS available, and it's been there for months. As for closing of streets, we also went by the advice of the Rochester police who do this thing all the time when both PAETEC and Frontier have events running the same night. For the opening of PAETEC (a Rhinos game) with a AAA Baseball game the same time at Frontier Field three blocks away, the Rochester Police scheme worked well, and there were plenty of spots available for a night that had more spectators in the region than last night. Also know, the Rochester city administration ran free shuttle busses to DCA from the lots that at more than 3 blocks away. This is all about first year logistics. It will improve.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can schedule a flight on a micro jet from just about anywhere. It's a heck of lot cheaper than owning a jet or time sharing one. Get a block of friends to go along and pop in the inflight DVD from DCA '06 during take off. Not to mention you can bring carry on luggage no problem.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/features...ljets_8-07.html

Dennis

notelvis,

Rochester is a rather large community. About the same size as Madison, Wisconsin. Their airport offers many more flights than say, Allentown, Hershey, Scranton. DCA has become of national interest. We need to consider that. The Buffalo airport (even bigger than Rochester) is not too far away. Land, stay half-way between the two cities and it works.

As for packages, DePrez Travel, who did our hotel bookings this year, is a very capable company. Got to believe they're thinking along the same lines as you.

Thanks for that suggestion. It's a good one!

Morphy00,

You are correct, the field could have been moved a bit closer. We considered that, but ended up going with a compromise. We were concerned about persons who were purchasing seats just one month ahead. We felt we could give them a little better experience by placing our frontline back by 3-5 yards. The move also helped visibility for those upstairs who would not have seen the drum major stand if we went with the soccer sideline.

While that is a very logical explanation, I think that next year the field should be set up to use the soccer sideline.

There is plenty of room, and it's going to provide a much better experience for the performers on the field, as well as the fans in the lower level stands. Not seeing the drum major from the upper deck is something folks up there are going to have to live with. In my opinion, it's worth the trade-off.

Having performed on the field both nights, and watched corps from the front stands, I really believe that moving the field forward is the right thing to do.

Parking for members

As flyers/drivers we had to park on the opposite side of the stadium from where the busses and corps trailers park. It was absolutely NOT a problem until the end of the night. After all our "encore" performances in the lot we had to walk around the stadium since it was closed. The choices between dark and scary neighborhood or a mile around the stadium were both unpleasant. Keeping the stadium open as a walk through would alleviate this problem or having a mini-shuttle or more security. Scranton has the perfect huge parking lot. Probably the only thing I missed though.

Sounds like it'll be addressed by Paetec based on the initial post.

Need a better place for photos. They should have set up in the street. Although now I know what it's like to walk on a field of playdoh.

BEST idea and forethought was having the huge staging tent so you can at least dry your self out a little bit before prelims. That was great! Thank you!

Turf was great! Even better than Indy's field turf.

Now... did someone actually suggest adding a parade?

We only went to prelims, so I didn't experience the crowds or problems with access. We parked fairly close. I did have to walk around to buy a ticket but you have to do that at any major stadium. Try parking for an Orioles game in Baltimore and see how far you have to walk. Since we work concessions as fundraisers the prices were actually cheaper in Rochester than here in No. VA. Our bottles of water sell for $4. The view from the upper deck was terrific and even being between the 30-35 I was blown back by the Cabelleros baritones in the opener. I felt close to the field from there, closer than most college football stadiums. Our assigned hotel was 5 minutes from the stadium and the I&E events were much better than being at the ski lodge or side rooms of the stadium as last year.

My only hope is that next year we'll get to see the stadium from the field view again.

Jesse,

Thanks so much for your comment. We, as the organizers, could not possibly have had the same experience as you, the performers. Hey, I parked inside the stadium. Have little knowledge of what everyone else went through. We need this feedback if we are to improve conditions for EVERYONE.

A parade is a possibility, but that's for Allen to work-up. I'm thinking the city would be all for it, but a parade AND I&E would seem a difficult pairing at the same time, as I&E is mostly those same folks who would be parading!

The book probably would have sold out, if not for Saturday.

You probably could have sold some more at the Alumni Show if the vendors were still around. Ace was telling everyone that they could cast their vote up to 40 minutes after the final performance of the afternoon. After our performance a large contingent went to buy the yearbook and cast a vote (Hey, even Clinton got to vote for himself!) and there wasn't a vendor to be found anywhere! There was still a corps on the field and another to go. I asked Ace to make an announcement to get some book vendors under the stands and saw no one. A lot of us buy the yearbook faithfully each year and did not get a chance this year. It would have been nice.

Other than that, a great weekend ( weather not withstanding). The housing around the area was good, with plenty of choices for restaurants, and the police officers are to be commended for a job well done with traffic, information and just all around very helpful. Not one 'nazi' type was noticed. The boys in Lackawanna County could take some lessons from these folks. Real Professionals! Hey, first year in a brand new venue there are sure to be some bugs to work out. All things considered, Allen Buell and his committee did a great job. I think DCA should buy them a beer, at least!

Ray

Yeah, a parade would be a bad choice. (Ron Burgundy voice) The highlight of my season is when the last parade is over!

Can we require corps to participate in I&E? This would prevent certain corps from discouraging participation and I would really have loved to compete against every bassline in the top ten instead of just three of us out there. From what I saw Bucs basses were smokin'! (FYI - I'm NOT hinting Bucs discourage participation, I can only speak for corps I have personal experience with.)

^0^ ^0^ ^0^

Hi Ray!

Allen and his folks have had several beers. They're fine. Well . . . maybe not so fine the day after. I DID NOT know books were not available near the end of the Alumni event. By the way, big crowd for that. Goal to goal at the bottom, could not see the top from where I was.

DCA will climb that ladder as long as guys like you keep participating. Thanks.