BD Brass

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets not forget that this year they went for a different sound. they usually dont sound so deep... lots of bottom noises this year, maybe they just had trouble adjusting...

really? I dont hear a difference in the wind scoring in comparison to years past....but even if there is I dont think it should matter. Good brass playing and good pedagogy should transcend a book that is scored in the lower register

really? I dont hear a difference in the wind scoring in comparison to years past....but even if there is I dont think it should matter. Good brass playing and good pedagogy should transcend a book that is scored in the lower register

you really cant hear it?

to me it seems darker and louder...

you really cant hear it?

to me it seems darker and louder...

I guess the scoring is a little bit different, but I still dont think that was the reason they sounded the way that they did. I mainly just hear a lot of intonation problems. It sounds a bit like they were overplaying (hence the intonation issues).

I don't remember the last time BD cut a trpt/sop solo so late in the season because it couldn't be played cleanly. That in itself would be cause for concern. I heard a few other things, but I think the standard the set for themselves is so high, that anything less has people running for the hills.

It just goes to show you...even dynasties can crumble.

I'm not saying that BD's brass is in trouble...far from it. But their reign in the Brass world has come to an end. Finally, other corps have learned to compete with them and take them out.

Remember, whenever one of the top corps falls even just a hair, it allows someone new to take their spot. Cadets...lowest placement in 15 years. BD...not their lowest placement, but if they are out of the top 2, it's unusual. Let's see if Bluecoats keep the momentum and assert themselves in the top 3 soon.

I'm all for change. If BD's brass falls to 4th, that only opens doors for others to move up. I'm tired of the same old outcome every single year.

I think if the top 3 was Phantom, SCV, Bluecoats that the crowd would wet their pants. Indy better be ready to clean up their new home!! :)

I think their problems were largely in their upper brass. That seems to be where most of the glaring intonation problems, etc. were. They lost some very good people from the 03-05 years that helped them create that great sound. They had a very good run of brass excellence (1999-1st, 2000-2nd, 2001-1st, 2002-2nd, 2003-1st, 2004-1st, 2005-had the 3rd highest score but finished 4th because Phantom and The Cavaliers tied). That's 4 1st place finshes, and 2 2nd place finishes in 7 years.

From what I understand from the BD forums, a similar thing happened on 1998. They lost a lot of the good "lead" people from the 94-97 years and had a slightly down year despite a very good music book. However, they came back incredibly strong in 1999.

I recall seeing on the BD website this year an advertisement well into March and April that they were still looking for a lead trumpet or trumpets. I know that at least from the past few years they have not had that kind of request, nor needed it.

That's just my take on it. My hope is that they retained alot of that talent going into next year to give many of them some cohesiveness and experience that will allow them build from where they left off as opposed to starting over.

I think their problems were largely in their upper brass. That seems to be where most of the glaring intonation problems, etc. were. They lost some very good people from the 03-05 years that helped them create that great sound. They had a very good run of brass excellence (1999-1st, 2000-2nd, 2001-1st, 2002-2nd, 2003-1st, 2004-1st, 2005-had the 3rd highest score but finished 4th because Phantom and The Cavaliers tied). That's 4 1st place finshes, and 2 2nd place finishes in 7 years.

From what I understand from the BD forums, a similar thing happened on 1998. They lost a lot of the good "lead" people from the 94-97 years and had a slightly down year despite a very good music book. However, they came back incredibly strong in 1999.

I recall seeing on the BD website this year an advertisement well into March and April that they were still looking for a lead trumpet or trumpets. I know that at least from the past few years they have not had that kind of request, nor needed it.

That's just my take on it. My hope is that they retained alot of that talent going into next year to give many of them some cohesiveness and experience that will allow them build from where they left off as opposed to starting over.

this seems to me to be the most logical theory of what happened.