Thinking of going out for a DCA Corps....

Hi!

I just want to say that I love drum corps! I discovered drum corps late in high school when I went to a show with some friends. I have been hooked ever since.

I wasn't in marching band, so never gave much thought to trying out for a corps.

Fast forward a few years.

I am now 28 and really want to try out for a Corps. I live in Washington DC, so there are a couple of choices... I'm thinking Bucs, because it is somewhat close and have a friend that lives near there that I could stay with for weekend camps.

Here are my questions:

-I would want to try out for guard, but have no experience. I twirled baton as a kid, so I'm somewhat familiar with spinning (however, not with a Rifle or Sabre). I have played around with a flag before, but nothing serious. What can I do to prepare? Do I have any chance of making it?

-I realize this is a weird question, but can bigger people be in guard? I am not a small guy, but I can move and am very flexible. I feel like the vast majority of guard guys are really thin/borderline starving. I have noticed that there have been bigger people in guard, I remember a bigger guy in Crossmen this year that was awesome, but I just want to be prepared.

-Any other thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance!!!

Edited by Rudy Flyer

Hi!

I just want to say that I love drum corps! I discovered drum corps late in high school when I went to a show with some friends. I have been hooked ever since.

I wasn't in marching band, so never gave much thought to trying out for a corps.

I am now 28 and really want to try out for a Corps. I live in Washington DC, so there are a couple of choices... I'm thinking Bucs, because it is somewhat close and have a friend that lives near there that I could stay with for weekend camps.

Here are my questions:

-I would want to try out for guard, but have no experience. I twirled baton as a kid, so I'm somewhat familiar with spinning (however, not with a Rifle or Sabre). I have played around with a flag before, but nothing serious. What can I do to prepare? Do I have any chance of making it?

-I realize this is a weird question, but can bigger people be in guard? I am not a small guy, but I can move and am very flexible. I feel like the vast majority of guard guys are really thin/borderline starving. I have noticed that there have been bigger people in guard, I remember a bigger guy in Crossmen this year that was awesome, but I just want to be prepared.

Thanks in advance!!!

You are certainly welcome to stay a little closer to home and join us in Shenandoah Sound. Our 2007 open house is scheduled for December 2-3. Size does not matter, only a desire to perform, compete and have fun. As far as twirling, read our guard coordinator's bio. Charles started out life in majorette and drum corps. Check out our website for info and contact us if you have any questions.

www.ShenandoahSound.org

I know that there a few of us who commute up from Baltimore, so you could easily carpool. As for the colorguard thing, I don't know much, but you can always post on the new membership area on buccs website : http://www.readingbuccaneers.org/bucsboards/

I can tell you that not everyone in the group is paper thin, so there's no restriction there. Reading very much tries to create a welcoming atmosphere, so don't be afraid to come check it out.

Hi!

Here are my questions:

Thanks in advance!!!

My Husband and I travel North every weekend to the Empire Statesmen. The drive is about 7 hours, but the experience is really worth it. Dues are one of the cheapest in DCA at around $100 and food is provided at a maximum of $3.00 per meal. The food itself is wonderful. Chef Tony does a wonderful job.

As far as your lack of experience goes, ES has a spot for everyone. We had several larger guys and gals in the guard this year as well as my last 2 seasons with ES and that has not stunted the success they have had in that section.

If you ar einterested in checking it out, go to OUR WEBSITE for more information. Also, feel free to contact me any time!

I know that every guard has a little bit different technique, but If you

want a great starting point and get a jump on equipment handling,

WGI (Winter Guard International) has DVDs available called

"FUNdamentals" (1 each for flag rifle and sabre). They also have an

intermediate set of DVDs. You can find them HERE or click on each of the pictures below:

edflagfundvd.jpg edriflefundvd.jpg edsabrefundvd.jpg

Where ever you choose to go, good luck to you.

No matter where you go, DO IT. It truely is the experience of a lifetime.

Thanks to everyone that offered advicep - especially those that sent private messages!

I am going to the Bucs open house. I'll keep ya'll posted on how it goes.

Thanks again!

take a look at my avatar.........do I LOOK borderline starving to you???? I'm in guard and move and perform quite well (if I do say so myself) and I'm big enough to be three people....................actually, in that picture, I AM all three!! heh

heh

Edited by Guard Diva