odd question

Kjac18

I guess this is bit of an odd off the norm type question, but who smokes and marches (not while but during breaks)?

I dont think its a odd question at all.

Some corps have very strict policies about smoking at practice and while in uniform.

For instance,,Music City Legend holds its rehersals at a private christian school in MAdison Tn.Its simply a matter of respect for the school that the staff asks members to smoke off campus.The policy has been stricly enforced this year.The last thing we want to do is get kicked out of the campus because some asshat decides he wants to light one up and stroll all over the campus.

We also require members to NOT smoke while in uniform.The goal behind that is not to burn holes in the uniforms and secondly to promote a proffesional appearance while in uniform.Lets face it smoking is a unbecoming habit to start out with,,,now add some overweight out of shape old farts with cancer sticks hanging out of thier mouths and then you got a really ugly site on your hands.

I saw plenty of corps while in Rochester with Members smoking all over the place...Didnt really bother me any.Kind of laughed a couple of times when I saw some of the Alumni corps with men coming off the field looking like they were about to die,,,gasping for air and then reaching for a smoke.I really felt sorry for them that a habit had them by the balls.

I think its up to each corps to set thier own policy on this issue.I don't look down upon them for allowing their members to smoke..Being a non smoker...I really appreciate the fact that my corps requires members to smoke off campus.The last thing I want to do is to tank up with a big mouthful of air to play a part,,,and have someone elses second hand smoke fill my lungs.

i know its not really very odd i was just wondering on here if the ppl that do have had any problems, i didn't add that because i thought it was kind of a stupid question

I did constantly when I marched back in the day, and drank a little(O.K.,more than a little) too.

Edited by zarblap

I guess this is bit of an odd off the norm type question, but who smokes and marches (not while but during breaks)?

Not an odd question. Since we are an Alumni corps we would be more inclined to have smokers. We have no rules about smoking except at rehearsal. It is not allowed in the rehearsal room. We really don't have too many smokers especially in the horn line and very few in the percussion line or guard. If they do smoke in uniform, it is generally around the bus but it isn't very prevalent with our corps.

Beer is another story.............. :lol: Really, though, the beer is consumed after the performance when everyone is relaxing.

I sure did when I marched.

But I made sure to follow my corps rules about smoking...no smoking in uniform, pick up your butts on your home practice field, no smoking on school grounds, etc.

Did it affect me? It would be hard for me to pin every issue I had on smoking. Call it one of many factors.

I used to, but I stopped this past March. So I drove the equipment truck for the corps this year and at the I&E venue I parked before the bridge to the convention center. I was asked to check and see how far behind the performers were where the keyboard ensembles were being judged. I huffed it up that bridge and back down quite a few times and I could feel the difference as I wasn't breathing hard or breaking a sweat at all.................

I'm jus' sayin'..........

But I made sure to follow my corps rules about smoking...no smoking in uniform, pick up your butts on your home practice field, no smoking on school grounds, etc.

What is this no smoking in uniform you speak of? :lol: