Drill Writer Question

SaraNYC

Just out of curiousity, how many DCA Corps use drill writers that are also top 12 DCI drill writers (or were at one time)?

I got spoiled back in the day marching a Zingali drill, but George also wrote drill for the Sunrisers at one time. Is there much crossover like that these days?

Just out of curiousity, how many DCA Corps use drill writers that are also top 12 DCI drill writers (or were at one time)?

I got spoiled back in the day marching a Zingali drill, but George also wrote drill for the Sunrisers at one time. Is there much crossover like that these days?

Empire Statesmen have had the services of Jamey Thompson for the last 6 years or so. During that time, he also wrote for Madison Scouts and (more recently) Phantom Regiment.

He claims that he doesn't write any differently for us vs his jr corps customers. Considering PR had about 60 more sets than we did, I wonder. But then, I think about my tired knees and back this summer, and I wonder again!

Bucs' current designer, Eric Kitchenman, has experience with Bluecoats and Crossmen, and possibly others (I can't recall at the moment....it's Monday morning!).

Our 2005 designer, Bobby Jones, was designer for 2006 Crossmen.

The Bushwackers have used many DCI designers over the years...most recently, Myron Rosander of SCV and now the Madison Scouts.

DCI is quality drum corps

DCA is quality drum corps

It should come as no surprise to anyone that ALMOST ALL staff members of DCA corps (at least the majors) are/were DCI corps staff members and arrangers

This is nothing new... a good arranger/instructor is a good arranger/instructor

As a matter of fact... to repeat the education I often give when the opportunity arises... Senior Corps Begat Junior Corps....

After both world wars, it was senior corps who formed first, then juniors. The success of DCA from 1965 until 1970 in uniting all the factions of the senior activity buoyed the determination of the founders of DCI to take control of their own destiny in 1971 (The combine) and 1972 (DCI) as the DCA corps had done. Vince Bruni, Lefty Mayer, Jim Costello, George Bull and a host of others were often asked for advice from the fathers of DCI. Bill Howard, who brought the Madison Scouts to DYNASTY status, was an alumni of Rochester Crusaders. Wayne Downey learned his trade from the Sasso Brothers in Long Island Sunrisers...

Senior Corps invented junior corps to accomplish three things: create a pool of trained players to fill their ranks each year, create WORK and a TRAINING GROUNDS for their staff people and arrangers, and to give those who for one reason or another no longer march themselves a way to volunteer and remain involved in the activity... In the 50's and 60's this was especially rewarding as we were often taking kids off the street that would have ended up in jail... I co-founded a junior corps myself in 1967 and still meet up with kids from those early years who thank us for "giving them a life"...

Sorry, I love to rant on about this stuff as so many junior corps people are oblivious to history... I highly recommend the two volume History of Drum Corps from Drum Corps World...

Wasn't trying to start an "us vs them" debate Tom, I'm just truly curious.

I have one of the volumes of the history book set, thanks to my friend and former tech Eric Sabach. He taught me in Star in 1985 and now he works with Phantom AND MBI (Who Ron Hardin wrote the drill for, he's been with SCV I think).

I'm well aware of the history of drum corps. Why, my current and past affilations scan the ages. ;)

nope... nor was I young lady... just answering the question... I have great respect for both

to be more to the point... in the top 12 of DCA you would be hard pressed to find an arranger (or instructor for that matter) that has NOT done a dci corps at one time or another...

nope... nor was I young lady... just answering the question... I have great respect for both

to be more to the point... in the top 12 of DCA you would be hard pressed to find an arranger (or instructor for that matter) that has NOT done a dci corps at one time or another...

Oh, was that what you were trying to say? LOL!!! Just kidding Tom, I enjoyed the history lesson and reading your input as always.

Cheers!

I believe that some of the Renegade's drill was written by Jay Murphy, who also writes for the Blue Devils. In years past, I believe it was all written by Jay.

Jay Murphy had also written for Cabs for a number of years