honor guard?

Kjac18

Maybe in some local ya-hoo parade, but I know of none in DCA.

True enough--but by the time I marched, (1979, 1980), the HG had devolved mostly into the worst guard members being assigned just because they had to have a flag out there. It was truly dishonoring the flag, some of the things I witnessed. And Madison Alumni dishonored the flag by placing it in the middle of the squad instead of on the right with a guard and no, the POW flag is NOT allowed to be placed in the place of honor, as some have argued.

Bob Blomberg

Geneseo Knights, '79-'83

Kilties, '01-'02, '04-'05

Bridgemen, '06

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh wow... is Mr. Blomberg misinformed... maybe he knows of an instance where this is the case, but no way is this the norm. Here are some facts that apply at the very least to almost all of the DCA finalists and most of the others:

1. Honor guard members are equal corps members and every bit as much a part of the corps as any horn player, guard member or drummer. Believe me, those who have won "rings" cherish them just as much...

2. They are often veterans of GREAT ability who for one reason or another can no longer make the commitment physically or time wise to the section they previously excelled in. Yes, their average age is usually above most of the competing members... What a great activity where we can still allow these people to participate and share in the success, comradery and glory rather than "put them out to pasture".

3. These people often work hard behind the scene lugging equipment, filling water bottles, driving trucks, marking practice fields, making lunches for the gang and whatever else needs to be done... they do so quietly, efficiently and without complaint... frequently with little "thank you"... always out of love for the corps...

4. My experience is that these people over-achieve in every corps fundraising effort... whether it's a raffle or bingo, they are always among the top performers. Perhaps this is due to their true love for the corps and the activity or just that they are more experienced at it, but whatever the reason, it is TRUE...

I'm not going to say that there aren't corps out there who find "anyone" to stand out there with the "A" Flag just because it's the politically correct thing to do. I'm not going to say that some corps find them to be an "afterthought"... BUT fortunately, these corps are in the severe minority.

I assert that those minority of corps are MISSING A GREAT OPPORTUNITY to not only recruit members into the corps who will become overachievers in every aspect of membership, but are allowing people who for one reason or another are leaving the corps to leave unnecessarilly... They could be encouraged to stay... and when they do, statistics say they will be your hardest workers and your best fund raisers... Just maybe the next time a loyal middle aged player says "my legs will simply not take it any more" or "I've been promoted at work and I simply can no longer devote that much time" or "My wife has been a saint to put up with this but now that our kids are older, we must do more together and practice time won't allow that" or whatever they say, just maybe the answer should be "Thank you for your years of support, but remember, you are welcome to stay as one of us and help out when you can and if you can make the shows during the summer, you can still go on the field and support the corps without all the hours and days of rehearsal. You are FAMILY, we would hope you would remain a part of the family while you still do what you must do."

I guarantee this attitude will IMPROVE ANY corps...

2. They are often veterans of GREAT ability who for one reason or another can no longer make the commitment physically or time wise to the section they previously excelled in. Yes, their average age is usually above most of the competing members... What a great activity where we can still allow these people to participate and share in the success, comradery and glory rather than "put them out to pasture".

Case in point. Following is Als' write up when he was inducted in the Drum Corps Hall of Fame.

"Albert Beran was involved in drum and bugle corps activity for more than 60 years, beginning with St. James Cadets junior corps in the early 1930s. Following World War II, he became a charter member of the Yankee Rebels of Baltimore, MD. He was part of the Yankee Rebels organization for the following 30 years, until the corps disbanded in 1976. He then marched with the Westshoremen until his passing in the 1990s"

Al marched main guard in Westshoremen and I had the honor of marching main guard with him a couple of shows in the mid 1980s. Talk about being next to living history.

Mr. Peashey- Thanks for your most recent post re: Honor Guard. Every word an absolute truth. I had the pleasure and privelage to march beside Mr. Don Wahl with the Brigadiers. Without Don, the Brigs might not have ever made it back onto the competition field. He devoted his life to the corps, quietly, and never asked for a pat on the back. I miss him a lot. :(

I've gotten to know all the DCA Honor Guards through the years, and have the greatest respect for them all. Each of them, hard workers as you've stated. We always "chew the fat" with each other at the gate, etc. and there's never an unkind word spoken. I never got tired of the old-style 'formal salute' to any and all Honor Guards, which by the way, are always returned.

None of us old-timers are any better than anyone in Drum Corps....but none of us are any worse, either.

oh wow... is Mr. Blomberg misinformed... maybe he knows of an instance where this is the case, but no way is this the norm. Here are some facts that apply at the very least to almost all of the DCA finalists and most of the others:

1. Honor guard members are equal corps members and every bit as much a part of the corps as any horn player, guard member or drummer. Believe me, those who have won "rings" cherish them just as much...

3. These people often work hard behind the scene lugging equipment, filling water bottles, driving trucks, marking practice fields, making lunches for the gang and whatever else needs to be done... they do so quietly, efficiently and without complaint... frequently with little "thank you"... always out of love for the corps...

4. My experience is that these people over-achieve in every corps fundraising effort... whether it's a raffle or bingo, they are always among the top performers. Perhaps this is due to their true love for the corps and the activity or just that they are more experienced at it, but whatever the reason, it is TRUE...

I'm not going to say that there aren't corps out there who find "anyone" to stand out there with the "A" Flag just because it's the politically correct thing to do. I'm not going to say that some corps find them to be an "afterthought"... BUT fortunately, these corps are in the severe minority.

I assert that those minority of corps are MISSING A GREAT OPPORTUNITY to not only recruit members into the corps who will become overachievers in every aspect of membership, but are allowing people who for one reason or another are leaving the corps to leave unnecessarilly... They could be encouraged to stay... and when they do, statistics say they will be your hardest workers and your best fund raisers... Just maybe the next time a loyal middle aged player says "my legs will simply not take it any more" or "I've been promoted at work and I simply can no longer devote that much time" or "My wife has been a saint to put up with this but now that our kids are older, we must do more together and practice time won't allow that" or whatever they say, just maybe the answer should be "Thank you for your years of support, but remember, you are welcome to stay as one of us and help out when you can and if you can make the shows during the summer, you can still go on the field and support the corps without all the hours and days of rehearsal. You are FAMILY, we would hope you would remain a part of the family while you still do what you must do."

I guarantee this attitude will IMPROVE ANY corps...

I agree 100%. After working with The Hurricanes, I've found that their Honor Guard members were some of the most dedicated to the corps. Very hard working, beleive it or not, and always willing to help out in whatever way they can.

Congratulations Hurricanes, for yet another Honor Guard Championship. Congratulations to all corps that display our colors

...2. They are often veterans of GREAT ability who for one reason or another can no longer make the commitment physically or time wise to the section they previously excelled in. Yes, their average age is usually above most of the competing members... What a great activity where we can still allow these people to participate and share in the success, comradery and glory rather than "put them out to pasture"...

Tom, thank you SO much for THAT!

Too many macadam parking lots, catching too many ball games, osteoarthritis, calcification of the hip joints, heel bone spurs, too much knee surgery, diabetes, planter fasciitis, other symptoms of old age, and visual programs at 168 BPM make marching modern drills difficult for those past the half-century mark.

Many of us learn the music charts, keep our chops up, and perform at standstill events.

It ain't over until someone my size starts singing!

And a SPECIAL THANKS to JOLESCH PHOTOGRAPHY for including so MANY pictures of all the Honor Guards at Rochester!

(sarcasm off)

Perhaps another reason for the demise of the honour guard (Canadian spelling eh?) was the fact that they could be the cause of many an un-wanted penalty. Drills back in the day had to be carefully crafted in order not to dishonour the rules of the flag code. Drums and horns during the drill routines had to be carefully placed so that penalty points were avoided. It was always great to see how corps would try to make their colour presentations "different" but still stay within the flag code and avoid the penalty(s). Sometimes championships hinged on these perceived errors.

Didn't Sunrisers lose a major contest or championship back in the early 1970's with an honour guard penalty or violation?

It has now become much easier to either disregard them until retreat or stick them in the far corner to avoid any possible penalties.

WRONG- the Honor guard and penalty problem was taken care of. When DCI made up it's own rules covering them.

The Honor Guard was removed to allow people, MORE, Trumpets, Tubas and dancers.

WRONG- the Honor guard and penalty problem was taken care of. When DCI made up it's own rules covering them.

The Honor Guard was removed to allow people, MORE, Trumpets, Tubas and dancers.

Again,

if any of you know kids who want to use their eligible years to go on a full tour for this purpose, let me know who they are. Go out and spend 3 months on the road up at 7am, done at 9 pr 10pm, and work on that all day.

These young people sign up for the thrill of performance. Doing what an "honor guard" does is not performance.

I Dont think its out of disrespect. The people at DCI did not get together and rub thier evil mustache and hatch a deliberate plan to "Disrespect the american flag".

And honestly, i have seen some that are so poorly presented that i would rather not see them at all. Iserved in the US Marine corps for 8 yeras and over 6 of those were spend stationed at Marine Barracks washington DC for 8 years, i know to the letter what a color guard (not honor guard) is supposed to look like.

After seeing so many bands and drum corps using faded tattered flags, innapporopriate use of the flag, and lack of understanding of proper presentation, i would consider it more respectful to leave it off the field that to show it that way.

Dont get me wrong, some do it really well, and do the job with pride and honor while others are obviously just throwing something out there.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

I Dont think its out of disrespect. The people at DCI did not get together and rub thier evil mustache and hatch a deliberate plan to "Disrespect the american flag".

And honestly, i have seen some that are so poorly presented that i would rather not see them at all. Iserved in the US Marine corps for 8 yeras and over 6 of those were spend stationed at Marine Barracks washington DC for 8 years, i know to the letter what a color guard (not honor guard) is supposed to look like.

After seeing so many bands and drum corps using faded tattered flags, innapporopriate use of the flag, and lack of understanding of proper presentation, i would consider it more respectful to leave it off the field that to show it that way.

Dont get me wrong, some do it really well, and do the job with pride and honor while others are obviously just throwing something out there.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

TastyWaves

I agree completely. I do not think they (DCI) did away with the Honor Guard for some Evil reason.

But they did find it to be not that important. More Trumpets, Tubas, and Dancers were a higher Priority.

Also. I agree, better not one at all, than a improper or tacky one.

( I Saw the a World Champion Div II/III group in the N.J. State Elks parade (Raiders) The Elks Require an Honor Guard for each unit. Well. Here they come down the stree with the American Flag at an almost complete PRESENT ARMS position. Sad, Very Sad. )

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni