Thinking of Marching in '07...

dckid80

Well Sean, if you guys still have that set of vibes from when I was in the pit, I think that thing was in A#! (Bb for you non-musicians out there.)

good point sayre :P

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call each of their recruitment managers and ask lots of questions. A good list of things to consider has been started. Also find out if there are other members traveling from your area, and what kind of accomodations are available on weekends. I would tend to identify the corps that is the best match for my interests, then figure out how to make it work from there, but anyone will tell you...some of the logistics start to get darn tedious around August. It's all good. Look at us now...we can't wait to get back.

I'm still shocked that people care what key the horns are in.

This year, three of the top four DCA corps played Bb horns while only one played in G. I frankly can't tell the difference. If I was choosing where to march (between those four corps) I'd pick Bush (i'm biased) because I love that style of drum corps and I love the people there.

The point I'm trying to make is that each of those top four corps has something different to offer someone who may want to march there. Stylistically there are great differences. I find it hard to believe that someone who wants to be "entertaining" wouldn't go to Empire because they play G horns or that someone who wants to play latin music wouldn't go to the Cabs because they play Bb.

As I said in my first sentence, I'm just surprised that people care so much about that.

Do you play a horn?

Aren't you a keyboard guy? If so, then of course you do not understand!!! It's a horn thang.

^0^ ^0^ ^0^

Yes, I do play horn. I played baritone in the 1993 Bushwackers (High Brass) and again in 2002. I also played Mellophone in the Westshoremen in 1988.

Yes, I am a keyboard guy. I write and teach the pit at Bush.

What I don't understand is why the key of the instrument matters. If Bush went to keyboards that were pitched in another key, it wouldn't make me go to another drum corps.

I thought corps choice would be about the actual drum corps, the style of music and the people there. Not about the key of the hornline.

Its a horn thang? Shouldn't it be a drum corps thang?

<edited for spelling errors>

Do you play a horn?

Aren't you a keyboard guy? If so, then of course you do not understand!!! It's a horn thang.

^0^ ^0^ ^0^

Edited by TchMuzk

Do you play a horn?

^0^ ^0^ ^0^

he is a very talented person

Yes, I do play horn. I played baritone in the 1993 Bushwackers (High Brass) and again in 2002. I also played Mellophone in the Westshoremen in 1988.

Yes, I am a keyboard guy. I write and teach the pit at Bush.

What I don't understand is why the key of the instrument matters. If Bush went to keyboards that were pitched in another key, it wouldn't make me go to another drum corps.

I thought corps choice would be about the actual drum corps, the style of music and the people there. Not about the key of the hornline.

Its a horn thang? Shouldn't it be a drum corps thang?

<edited for spelling errors>

That's cool - I don't think we've met, but from seeing you online, I've always thought you were a keyboard guy only.

I guess it's just a matter of personal opinion. My opinion is that I want to play drum corps in a G horn line. You have a different opinion. We're all entitled to our own opinions.

I noticed that the original poster marched in the early 80's, so he played a G bugle. Maybe that's what he would be more comfortable with now. Or maybe he doesn't care either, but I brought it up just in case it was an issue with him.

It is a horn thang to me. I only do drum corps in G. If you don't agree with me, then that's cool - no worries! I respect your opinion. I also want to march in G playing music I like with people I like and that treat me with respect and dignity. This past summer I hit the jackpot.

Next summer? If I don't do drum corps in G, I'll be making $$$$ in Bb.

I have no intention of turning this thread into a G vs Bb thang. :P

Peace!

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and ideas.

Sara raised many good issues that have got me thinking.

Money and health are not really concerns and although I did march "G" (78-80), I was trained in my local school system before I discovered corps, so I am adaptable to any key.

Besides at the age of 44 it's more about staying power than volume. B)

Someone else raised a very interesting point that I had not considered about being in a competitive group and having that take my whole summer. Not sure if that is the right move for me at this point.

Marching with an alumni corps might be a better way to ease both myself and my better half into this(although a fan, she did not march).

Off to contact those groups that have been kind enough to speak to me as a result of this thread.

I'll let you guys know where it goes.

Thanks again!!!!!!

Well here's my question to y'all

If I was to decide to march in 07( unfortunately I cannot), what corps would be willing to re-teach an old farte how to play an instrument. Its been almost 30 yrs since I've played a horn, dont have an idea on how to read sheet music ( they just beat it all into our heads by rote)?? all these would put me behind the 8-ball at "audition" time........... ####, I dont even have a horn to practice on...........

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and ideas.

Sara raised many good issues that have got me thinking.

Money and health are not really concerns and although I did march "G" (78-80), I was trained in my local school system before I discovered corps, so I am adaptable to any key.

Besides at the age of 44 it's more about staying power than volume. B)

Someone else raised a very interesting point that I had not considered about being in a competitive group and having that take my whole summer. Not sure if that is the right move for me at this point.

Marching with an alumni corps might be a better way to ease both myself and my better half into this(although a fan, she did not march).

Off to contact those groups that have been kind enough to speak to me as a result of this thread.

I'll let you guys know where it goes.

Thanks again!!!!!!

Hey GOOD LUCK where ever you end up. I turned 42 this summer, so yes, I agree, it can be a matter of endurance sometimes. But there are a lot of folks out there older than both of us that hang quite well in the competitive circuit.

I will strongly suggest the Bridgemen Alumni again - they would probably have something for your partner to do, and it's a lot less of a comittment, but you sure get to do some big gigs and feel like a rock star. Open house is Oct 14th.

www.bridgemen.org

I'm not a salesman, but for what it's worth...

The Sunrisers are a family-oriented organization with a cross-range of members aging from around 15 to around 50. They will gladly teach you if you don't already play or if you just haven't played in a while. They also have one of the cheapest dues anywhere and probably the lightest rehearsal schedule of any corps. That's why my wife and I can afford to do this corps. The committment level (particularly during the winter months) is minimal. It may be what you're looking for.

Like I said... not a salesman, just food for thought.