Trainer?

What's pilates? Do kids cry in pain because of it?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's pilates? Do kids cry in pain because of it?

My worst nightmare...and yes, I've seen kids cry in pain.

My corps never really had a trainer. One of our parent volunteers was a nurse, but that's as far as it went for us. I know that some corps have doctors on board with them. The Cavaliers have Doc Bales (sorry if I misspelled the name) He's something like a 25 year emergency room doctor and a heck of a guy. He helps with my school band, making sure everybody has the right soles in their shoes and whatnot. Awesome guy. Every corps (and band) needs a guy like him.

in 04, one of our guard instructors made us do aerobics in the gym because it was raining. i wanted to die. it was awful. another time we had another guard instructor teach the hornline some stretches to improve flexability. that didn't make me nearly as suicidal.

in 05 we had an exmember who has some sort of degree in some physical doctor-ation or therapy come and teach us some new stretches. i think we used like 2 of them. BUT we learned how to safely "crack" someone's back (i don't think it was actually supposed to crack, just relieve muscle tension). it was pretty interesting and a nice change from the usual.

As Director of the Crossmen we had a trainer that was a student trainer in college that needed the time and we were a perfect fit for that person to get additional training.

She dealt with all injuries and doctor runs.The members would check in with her first thing in AM if they needed attention or taping or what ever the injury involved . The trainer would report to me if the member needed down time or was ready to do the day even if limited .The Staff would check with myself or her and they had no say or the ability to override the call made by the trainer.

It was very very helpful and removed any temptation by the staff , members or the injured member to get back on the field before fit to do so.

I know Cadets had a trainer on the road with them this summer and you would see him stretching kids out that were having issues. The positions he had them in didn't look exactly comfortable. I'm imagine he did alot more to. I know he had his own chest full of ice. I was at an ensemble practice and he took the time to come and talk to me about my daughter and told me what the plan was for her issues.

The one that I know of does pilates-based stuff with the corps. It hurts. A lot.

ugh, Randy, it's not that pilates is that bad, but for an hour or so, hurts a lot.

Awe, it really sounds like they care about the kids. That's cool. It sounds like they are more doctors than anything.

Doctors can diagnose a problem medically. Have you ever seen a football game where a football player is injured? The person that runs out there along with the coach is known as a trainer. They do have knowledge of medical treatment for injuries and how to help it temporarily.