1986 crossmen

at some point around then, I think a few years earlier…they had the top snare drummer in the nation, some kid (was Robbie his name?) that grew up in the corp…his dad was very involved with the corp too….anyway, he brought up the performance level of the entire drum line…I believe he jumped to blue devil for his age out year …its all so fuzzy now, that was 25 years ago

:ph34r: UMMM you mean Robbie Robinson, son of long time director Mr Robinson. Yeah he was good, meaning if good was light he would have been the Sun, kinda of good.

Robbie Robinson was the corps directors son. He marched with the Crossmen a bunch of years and left to march with the Blue Devils for one season, he returned to age out in the Crossmen snare line. Robbie won DCI snare I&E a few times if memory serves. Mark Thurston was also marching in the line with him. Mark placed high in I&E, maybe even second one year to Robbie? Of course Mark went on to be the Crossmen drumline caption head for several years, including writing the 1986 drumsolo!

Side note on the 86 Crossmen: Kurt Reiner won third place snare I&E that season. Many of the 86 rookies went on to ride the Crossmen to the top, some of them stayed with the corps as members/staff well beyond the success of the early 90s. 86 was a pivotal year for the corps, and if it wasn't for the members and staff that fought through a dismal spring to 21st place the corps wouldn't be here today.

Boots!

Someone needs to post that 86 solo on you tube.

I think that the seperate quarterfinals thing is the right answer, where the top corps weren't competing with the corps hoping to make the jump into finals.

Since there were more corps back then, 13 and down along with the top A-60 and A corps competed in prelims. All those corps made for a VERY long day.

Edited by EKBari

CROSSMEN DRUMLINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Need more be said Mark Thurston was the best. loved that line.

The Crossmen had a great drumline in 1986, and if memory serves every year the Crossmen were out of finals they had decent drumlines. I don't think, however, that they won prelims. Maybe this was when the top 12 corps didn't compete in prelims or the scores weren't recorded for some reason since the corps were moving on. I can see this drumline placing around 12th or higher had the corps made finals.

1986 from memory: 7 snares, 6 tenors, 6 basses, 4 cymbals plus Pit. The line was full but the corps had a heck of time getting horns that year and came close to folding. I can't find the info, but the corps had around 7 horns in May and were told they needed more or they would fold. The membership came through and rallied the troops.

1986 drumsolo was "Street Dancing", if you can find a copy of it listen with a smile on your face. One of the lost gems IMO.

Link to Historical Archives on crossmenalumni.net. Props to Gary for the webpages!

Boots!

Wow, how did they go from 7 horns in May to 45?!

The Crossmen had a great drumline in 1986, and if memory serves every year the Crossmen were out of finals they had decent drumlines. I don't think, however, that they won prelims. Maybe this was when the top 12 corps didn't compete in prelims or the scores weren't recorded for some reason since the corps were moving on. I can see this drumline placing around 12th or higher had the corps made finals.

1986 from memory: 7 snares, 6 tenors, 6 basses, 4 cymbals plus Pit. The line was full but the corps had a heck of time getting horns that year and came close to folding. I can't find the info, but the corps had around 7 horns in May and were told they needed more or they would fold. The membership came through and rallied the troops.

1986 drumsolo was "Street Dancing", if you can find a copy of it listen with a smile on your face. One of the lost gems IMO.

Link to Historical Archives on crossmenalumni.net. Props to Gary for the webpages!

Boots!

Right there with you Johnny Boy! Street Dancin' was one of the best solos of the season! I used to have the cassette, but is has since died...prior to burning ability. Hopefully it will end up on the tube. As far as the '86 drumline is concerned; that group became the core of what was the rebuild back to 1990. A great group of people (staff and members) with a true sense of history and dedication to keep the corps operating. And you're right....they did win drums at quarters. Boots!

Hey Dave, there is a name I haven't heard in 15 years! My name may be Jon, but my aka is Chili Dog. For about a year now I've been getting back into being a fan of drum corps. I hope all is well with you, you should come out to Allentown next summer if you still live in the area. Kinda crazy that the Crossmen are moving to Texas isn't it? I just called Rocky and gave him the news.