New Column - Inside the Arc

JohnD

Clearly he has never attended a North Texas Wind Symphony concert.

I kind of take issue with this. I don't like my vocation (composition) being summarily dismissed as simply me writing exercises to teach students to play their instruments correctly.

Maybe he has and maybe it was sold out....but I doubt many would bother if they performed on a football field.

I see a common thread with the people who disagree with Frank so I think it has hit the nerve and gotten the attention of the people who really need to hear the message. :-)

Edited by ducttapedgerbil

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make me angry enough at having my time wasted, and I stop buying souvies, refreshments. Eventually, I stop going to shows. If enough people stop, then <poof!> no more drum corps. Is that really the marketing model that DCI (and its constituent corps) wants to follow?

Advertising and getting Finals on ESPN only do so much to turn out fans. Ultimately, it's the actual product that keeps the fans coming back. When I used to pay $7-$10 per seat and got highly entertained, I was eager to go back. Lately, I've been paying $15-$20 per seat, and I'm less entertained. That eagerness to return is fading. Mainly, I go back to see if anything has changed for the better.

Last time, I saw a small uptick, so my pessimism is not total. But, it took a long time for me to get there. It'll be a while before I feel good about it.

Actually, this is the first year in a while that I did not buy a ticket to a DCI show. Being in a DCA Corps means we go on first and I usually get to see other Corps from the 20 yard line if I want. This year, I think I bailed soon after we performed, sometimes staying to support some of the Div II/III corps. I stayed for the Div I corps once but did not enjoy them enough to come back for a weeknight show and pay for a seat closer to the 50. I always brought friends to shows in the past but this year I don't think I even brought it up. At $15 and I usually bring 2-3 people....DCI is out $60 just from me

Yes, if only it were more about what you and those who agree with you want. Then it would be for the kids. :worthy:

If corps actually took Frank's advice and played everything he considers good, DCI would lose me and lots of others. It might very well gain enough new fans to make up for the loss, but nobody knows that for sure. In other words, this is entirely a matter of opinion, and Frank was wise enough to even say so before getting to the presentation of his opinion.