Drum Corps in Our Lives

So basically, you put on a fake personality when you're with the corps?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a message someone left on my site.

The power of the written word is amazing, and persuasive.  You are right on target about recognizing inconsistancy in life situations - it is heart breaking. 

And can cause you to be disillusioned.  Live your life with truth, honor and duty - be an example to the young and old people around you.  When you represent

a person who is consistant with word and deed, you shine a light of confidence in this world which seems to value vagueness and fickle devotion.

You don't have to be influenced by these hypocritical examples, you can learn the lesson of character development and gravitate to people who have developed

that skill.  Look for them, I guarantee you'll know'em when you see'em.

I think that what Jared is suggesting is that to do the things we do in the "real world" when we're at drum corps would seriously hamper our ability to be a functioning, productive member of a corps. It has nothing to do with putting on a fake personality... I don't have the same eating habits outside of corps that I do inside of it because I would be unhealthy and struggle to keep up. I don't drink sodas when I'm in corps either - they dehydrate you and are just in general bad for you when it comes to physical activity. Most people I know that play sports make certain concessions when they're "in season" - drum corps is no different.

Maybe it comes from being raised by a paratrooper and an airforcemen

yeah, I could guess that probably has something to do with it.

Exactly... ... ...

#### no. I conform my appearance and actions to fit my corps standards. If I (totally hypothetically - i'm way underage) go out and party it up and drink all the time at home, I'm a good member and it doesn't mean I'm going to do it on tour and totally violate the Bluecoats alcohol policies. It goes back to tour=tour, off season=off season. People act differently in both environments.

*Edit for Grammar*

Edited by corps_forever07

Sometimes you have to conform to the guidelines of a place/group/organization if you want to be there.

Example:

I go to the mall with a hat on.

I go to church and have to take my hat off.

Simple as that. I think that's all anyone on this side of the discussion is really trying to say.

When in doubt, just think about hats. :)

Molehills don't have snow on top because they aren't that big. There is now snow on this molehill.

i think hes also talking about things people say that discredit other corps and whatnot. this past season i wasnt happy to see blue knights beat crown but i respected them and said "hey, blue knights worked as hard and put out a good product" and i respected them. i found a blue knights myspace and he posted a video of the crowd reaction when they beat crown. he wrote underneath it "this is us when we kicked crowns ### at finals. they f###in sucked! go BK!"

bc of this 1 member i have lost much respect for this otherwise great organization

edit=typo

Edited by BoxVSoprano

i think hes also talking about things people say that discredit other corps and whatnot. this past season i wasnt happy to see blue knights beat crown but i respected them and said "hey, blue knights worked as hard and put out a good product" and i respected them. i found a blue knights myspace and he posted a video of the crown reaction when they beat crown. he wrote underneath it "this is us when we kicked crowns ### at finals. they f###in sucked! go BK!"

bc of this 1 member i have lost much respect for this otherwise great organization

I'm firmly against idiots no matter what their marching history is.

Sometimes you have to conform to the guidelines of a place/group/organization if you want to be there.

Example:

I go to the mall with a hat on.

I go to church and have to take my hat off.

Simple as that. I think that's all anyone on this side of the discussion is really trying to say.

When in doubt, just think about hats. :)

Molehills don't have snow on top because they aren't that big. There is now snow on this molehill.

I like this one. You can even take it farther and use any type of clothing atire. I'm not going to be wearing a coat and tie when I'm at the beach, and I wouldn't be wearing a t-shirt and board shorts at work. People adapt different to different situations, let it be drum corps, home, work, or whereever, so it shouldn't be a surprise that these adaptations show a different side of a person, or a slightly modified version of a side.