Drum Corps in Our Lives

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still like the old days when we would just duke it out in the lot. Just kidding :P

The way you represent yourself is the way you represent your corps. Thats how I go about my day. I think eveyone should do the same. My 2 cents.

The way you represent yourself is the way you represent your corps. Thats how I go about my day. I think eveyone should do the same. My 2 cents.

Haha, I think most of my friends and people I see would be slightly confused and baffled if I tried to represt my corps through my day-to-day being during the off-season. Especially sinse about 2% of all people I know have any clue what drum corps is.

Maybe it comes from being raised by a paratrooper and an airforcemen, but I believe in honor, respect, and discipline always. Words offen speak louder than actions. You never know what effect what you say will have on someone.

If I could, I would serve in the military, but drum corps is the closest I can get.

i disagree that words speak louder than actions. you can talk out your ### all you want, it comes down to what you actually DO that matters. people can quietly grumble about running it back "one last time" but they DO IT one more time. your actions show more of who you are, i think. ever hear that the best way to lead is not by telling people what to do, but by showing them?

i believe in honor and respect also. i also know that the job i am performing when i am on the field with a drum corps or my university marching band requires different skills and characteristics than are required for my other job at a preschool, or my job as a student, or my job as a care provider for my autistic brother. at my preschool teaching job, i'm not required to wear sneakers and athletic shorts, and in drum corps or band i'm not required to wear casually dressy clothes.... this is like, the microcosm of what i'm trying to say. you are displaying different parts of your personality when performing different activities.

an ######## is an ########, no matter where they march(ed). some people in the corps that i marched in weren't the nicest of people in my book. it happens. people are people, no matter where they march. there isn't a written attitude/home life requirement for audition and entry into a group. they don't have a questionaire where they ask things like "have you ever consumed alcohol/had sexual intercourse/cheated on a test/etc etc etc in your whole life" and then not accept you based on the results.

I like snow on mountains, makes me want to go sledding!

Seriously though, no, I don't go to bed like I do in the corps season, but I don't have two personalities. That's called being bipolar, and that's a sickness. And yes, when I read "Corps x suck we kicked their blank." I don't ever want to march in that corps that the person is from.

read what the other poster said about joking about mental illnesses. then know that i'm using the with stupid smiley here.

then go up and read what i posted again. an ######## is an ########, no matter where they march(ed)

chillax, just a little? there are better things to get all worked up over.

Well, still, some people are saying that they can just say whatever they want and it doesn't represent their corps. Like "Corps x sucks and should fold." It's like serving your country and saying "I hate this country."

So there's smack talk. Corps X can also see that as some misconception that needs to be broken. Something to strive for.

Personally, I do find some things that various corps do that I don't like. I say it, but, I also respect the organization for what they have done.

Pioneer kicked some major ### in DII/III before moving up. They still are there performing, regardless of their finishes in DCI championshpis. They may not be first, but they are still there.

Cadets, very long lived corps. Have I liked their shows recently? For the most part. Are there parts I don't like in the shows, heck yes.

People voice their opinions as much as babies crap themselves, early and often. Usually those opinions smell as bad as said diapers. As for corps handbooks. Sure, it's a great guide during the season, and not a bad standard to try and hold to. But let's be realistic, many people get lax during down-time, no matter what activity. Let the corps handle it, and don't get so bent out of shape about it. You'd be surprised at how good they are at fire-fighting within the organization.

Why should one have to censor their thoughts and opinions? They shouldn't...

Edit: I can't believe I spelled censor as "sensor" and didn't catch it for that long

Edited by Carl306

Okay, it's over and done with. I personally appologized to the fellow corps member who I offended by the comment about bipolar. I wasn't thinking myself and didn't represent my corps there.

With a disability myself, I can understand how this can be hurtful.

NO..as someone who has been touched by this insidous disease, it really pisses me off when people use the VERY real problem of mental illness as a joke or a euphimism.

Every day, you hear "are you crazy?" or "are you schitzo or something?" and similar phrases muttered non-chalantly by people who don't even think as to what they are saying. Language such as this just serve to cheapen what is a real problem that touches millions of people every day.

If i get ###### off when some kid comes on here and foolishly compares the drum corps experience to a VERY REAL and misunderstood mental illness, then you can feel free to crucify. If you ever have seen your only brother in the thros of severe depression, or have had to intervene to keep them from harming themselves when they were in a manic state, you might think differently.

If I seem overbearing about this, I am sorry. This touches me personally.

Hey man, I definitely sympathize with the ordeal you went through, and I don't agree with most of things she said on this thread, but do you really think she meant to personally insult people with emotional disorders? One of the worst things that ever happened to me in my life was when my closest friend committed suicide, but I don't get offended if somebody says "I'm going to kill myself" in a joking manner. Context matters. Nobody insulted your brother, just like none of my friends insult my dead friend (RIP).

EDIT: Upon reading her post a second time, I can see why it is aggravating. She "defined" this mental disease with something completely false, which was also aimed at insulting somebody on this thread who I know personally and is certainly not bi-polar just because of what she is saying here. Just try not to let it get to you. :)

Edited by ekleve