Best Drum Major

Admittedly, my experience is limited, compared to others in this thread. That said...

I really enjoy watching Vic Kulinsky. And the DM from The Governaires (sorry, I don't remember his name).

My favorite is Matt Dudek. I've had the pleasure of marching with him for the past three seasons. On the podium, he's AMAZING! He can pull a tear back together, give every section their own cues, give us drill cues with his head (or his feet), and continuously provide feedback that always makes our performance better. Off-the-podium, he's a terrific leader, and a tireless worker.

His DM style is not to play to the crowd as much as other DMs. I think (from what I've seen) that he tries to bring the best performance out of the corps - rather than _being_ the performance himself. So, I think sometimes the audience may overlook him, because he does his job so well.

Thanks Matt!

OK, I'm done with the mushy stuff.

john mayer is the govies' dm....he rocks........seriously.......i thought he would kill himself jumping around and rocking the podium this year. how he didn't fall off in the raging rochester rain-fest is quite an amazing feat. :rolleyes:

and thanks, willard, i appreciate it. i just try to give my all to help the corps give their all.

and if big ken says that drum majors are a thing of the past, then give me one of those multi-key things, a mouthpiece, a dot book, and some sneakers (goodbye sandal tans) and get the #### out of my way... ^0^ b**bs :wub:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike & John Mayer are truly tremendous leaders and are good friends to all who have had the pleasure to meet them! What John has done with the Govies and I can not forget the entire board of the oldest all - age corps in the world! Kudos to John and the Govies!

Mike Mayer and Chops Inc. is another great story and tradition. Started a small drumline in 1991, added a hornline couple years later and finished the group off with a "hot" color guard. In their first trip ever to DCA, taking 1st place is a great feat, they are in the midst of getting individuals to run the group in a 3 year period to move the group to new levels in Drum Corps Associates Midwest. In closing, Both of these great people would get my votes for best drum majors and leaders in all aspects of drum corps.

I love both of them as brothers and are great individuals!

Drum Majors are a thing of the past, like G Bugles. The sooner you people accept that you will see the light!

Ken,

I am not feeling the love here man. Marvin......... a little help? I know, I know........ I am just tolerated for the rehearsal site, pool and hot tub.

Actually, if you mean the bands going without conductors in PA, it's been a complete disaster. The larger bands that have tried it have more phasing issues than an episode of Star Trek.

I've seen it pulled off by small groups (Raiders Drum & Bugle Corps comes to mind) but every single time I've seen it done by a larger group it's been a mess.

well it hasn't hurt LC, and LD had some success with it, but yeah, i haven't seen a lot of success outside of those two

Chris Garrett....the only DM to rip apart a podium while he was on it :P