Memories of Marion, OH and the US Open

Saginaires Drum Majors accepting 1978 Class A Championship Trophy.

Sags40.jpg

Ah yes U.S. Open. I have many cherrished memories from that show over the years. I'll never forget winning class A in 1978 with the Saginaires. The story the next day in the Marion Star was awesome.

We always stayed downtown. I loved how so many corps were so close and you could walk around the streets and listen to the horn lines practicing. I recall being blown away watching Cadets of Greece hornline practice one year.

Edited by GrewvyG2

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saginaires Drum Majors accepting 1978 Class A Championship Trophy.

Sags40.jpg

Ah yes U.S. Open. I have many cherrished memories from that show over the years. I'll never forget winning class A in 1978 with the Saginaires. The story the next day in the Marion Star was awesome.

We always stayed downtown. I loved how so many corps were so close and you could walk around the streets and listen to the horn lines practicing. I recall being blown away watching Cadets of Greece hornline practice one year.

That year must have been 1975....the year we won the DCI Class A National Championship

It was downhill for Greece after that....too bad because '75 was a year I will never forget!

Edited by Greece Alum

10-24-2006111437AM.jpg

I just felt a huge lump in my throat.

What a shame we can't have contests like that anymore. I loved all the press and local support in Marion. That city name still conjures up great memories of cockroaches, abandoned schools with non-potable water (the National Guard had to bring us tankers of H2O!), but most of all, the feeling of belonging to a group with Espirit de corps, military bearing, pride of accomplishment (no small task for a kid who started out in Drum Corps with no self-esteem), and a sense of respect for all the corps that came before and all those against whom we competed. Yeah, we swapped insults and demeaning chatter, but we all recognized how hard everyone worked.

The feeling of passing in review for the corps that won, but the even greater feeling of being the last on the field and having everyone else saluting you as the winners.

Ah, yes........*sigh*

That 1973 downpour on finals remains one of the worst deluges I've ever seen! I still have my recording from that show. You can hear the rain blasting Blue Rock. Right in the middle of their exit number stadium announcer Tom Judd can be heard saying.....

"Keep your #### ticket stubs!"

At the 1977 downpour the judges put their score sheets inside a popcorn cart at the concession stand to dry them out.

U.jpg

Bad memories for me...Mighty St. Joe's came there in 1971 right after wining the Canadian open, and we were on top of our game that night( listen to the recording if you have it) and were dumped to 8th place, feel a little sorry for the corps that were beside us at retreat,,,it was a pretty wild site we were ####### ###### to say the least!!!!!!, and showed it publicly

Edited by zarblap

Mmmmmmmmmm... Ponderosa!!!!!

("Sarcasm - table for one - sarcasm!)