DCI Meeting in Chicago... Good News for All-Age Corps!

I spent this last weekend in Chicago attending this year's "fall" DCI meetings. The big news of the weekend for us all-agers... DCI held it's first all-age corps session with over 15 all-age corps attending! In addition, they are making those corps official "members" of their respective regions, much like Renegades/Dream/RCR have been members of DCI-Pacific. Finally, they plan to use DCA sheets to evaluate all-age corps at DCI shows.

This is a very big step for DCI, and a rock-solid endorsement of the cooperative model we've been using here in California (pioneered by the Renegades, I might add). All in all, a very positive weekend for us all-age corps!

I'd like to personally thank DCI, and in particular DCI-P's Tom Hope and DCI's Sue Kuehnhold for their efforts, honesty and enthusiasm. Great job!

See you as a proud member of DCI,

- Greg

PS: Oh yeah...DCI is also going to make a big effort to drop the "senior" and go with "all-age" (a nod to DCA). Another sign DCI is listening and working with us all-agers.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent this last weekend in Chicago attending this year's "fall" DCI meetings. The big news of the weekend for us all-agers... DCI held it's first all-age corps session with over 15 all-age corps attending! In addition, they are making those corps official "members" of their respective regions, much like Renegades/Dream/RCR have been members of DCI-Pacific. Finally, they plan to use DCA sheets to evaluate all-age corps at DCI shows.

This is a very big step for DCI, and a rock-solid endorsement of the cooperative model we've been using here in California (pioneered by the Renegades, I might add). All in all, a very positive weekend for us all-age corps!

I'd like to personally thank DCI, and in particular DCI-P's Tom Hope and DCI's Sue Kuehnhold for their efforts, honesty and enthusiasm. Great job!

See you as a proud member of DCI,

- Greg

PS: Oh yeah...DCI is also going to make a big effort to drop the "senior" and go with "all-age" (a nod to DCA). Another sign DCI is listening and working with us all-agers.

I would not be so thrilled about that just yet. Seems to me DCI is positioning itself for a takeover, which in my opinion would be a disaster! Just look what has happened to drum corps under DCI. When I competed in 78 there were about 80 corps there in "open" class, what was there this year? and Of those, how many could actually contend for the top 12? (better put my flame suit on). Now, I am not so ignorant than to know that much of the decline is due to the change in economy, but that is where good leadership SHOULD be able to see the problem, and adjust. I think what has decended on drum corps over the last 20 years is a sin. Senior or All age corps were those I as a kid looked up to, now it is the senior corps looking up to the juniors, and getting direction from the juniors. I personally don't like it. In my NOT so humble opinion, DCI is a dictatorship. "Do as we say OR be gone with you". Instead of embracing it's heritage they are h**l bent on changing it. DCA has been our lone oasis in the otherwise eat 'em up and spit 'em out world of DCI. I won't even go into that mess they called a drum corps show on ESPN2. I give them an A for marketing however. I am a former member of DCI, and I am not so proud of what that means today. So happy as you may be, this may spell the final end for drum corps I knew it, ENTERTAINING, and something ANY kid could take part in. DCI will have no more of that!...ok off my soap box....

I would not be so thrilled about that just yet. Seems to me DCI is positioning itself for a takeover, which in my opinion would be a disaster! Just look what has happened to drum corps under DCI. When I competed in 78 there were about 80 corps there in "open" class, what was there this year? and Of those, how many could actually contend for the top 12? (better put my flame suit on). Now, I am not so ignorant than to know that much of the decline is due to the change in economy, but that is where good leadership SHOULD be able to see the problem, and adjust. I think what has decended on drum corps over the last 20 years is a sin. Senior or All age corps were those I as a kid looked up to, now it is the senior corps looking up to the juniors, and getting direction from the juniors. I personally don't like it. In my NOT so humble opinion, DCI is a dictatorship. "Do as we say OR be gone with you". Instead of embracing it's heritage they are h**l bent on changing it. DCA has been our lone oasis in the otherwise eat 'em up and spit 'em out world of DCI. I won't even go into that mess they called a drum corps show on ESPN2. I give them an A for marketing however. I am a former member of DCI, and I am not so proud of what that means today. So happy as you may be, this may spell the final end for drum corps I knew it, ENTERTAINING, and something ANY kid could take part in. DCI will have no more of that!...ok off my soap box....

Heh. I guess we'll have to "agree to disagree". B) DCI has been very good to west corps all-age corps and I'm glad to see that tradition continue across the country.

See you on the 50,

- Greg

No no no... DCA has been an oasis for the Good ol' NORTHEAST. Does anyone have a list of the All Age corps that attended the DCI meeting? Bet you dollars to donuts not a one was there. Couldn't have been travel costs could it? It's just a few people. But... why would they show up. Everything is fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine in there world. All these non-NE begging for a piece of the pie, they all have to play by their rules but they will never get the best toys. They don't want unity. They want THEIR circuit and THEIR championship. Sure they will let the outsiders into the top 5 but... has one ever hit the top three? Captions sure but the big one? Psh... yeah right...

I say hooray for DCI! I know this isn't like then starting a DCI-AA championships or what have you but @ least things might be a bit more fair and balanced.

And it IS DCI... never say never.

Oh and if DCI took over DCA I for one would do back flips!

They don't want unity. They want THEIR circuit and THEIR championship. Sure they will let the outsiders into the top 5 but... has one ever hit the top three? Captions sure but the big one? Psh... yeah right...

That is such stunning BS. There's a simple reason a non-NE corps hasn't won DCA...they haven't been the best corps.

The day a non-NE corps is the best corps there, they will win. It's that simple.

Personally, I hope that day comes soon.

This meeting went great. It was nice to get a chance to talk with the other All-Age groups that attended.

I don't see how DCI could be setting itself for a "takeover"...just not gonna happen.

I see of it more as a chance for the DCI corps and the All-Age corps to work together at something we all love...DRUM CORPS!