Which show do you like better, Cadets 2003 or Cadets 2006?

Poll  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Which show do you like better, Cadets 2003 or Cadets 2006?

• Cadets 2003
    • Cadets 2006

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I don't have anything good or bad to say about either show, but I do have one question. You can say that Cadets 06 was "innovative" and it "pushed the envelope". That's cool, but how can you start comparing it to other "innovative" shows in DCI history? Like Star 93, Cadets 83, and Cavies 02. And I'm sorry but this show isn't going to do anything for the activity COMPARED to the onset of assymetrical drill. Not even the same ball park.

All of these other shows that people are comparing Cadets 06 to were all meet with some degree award. Cadets changed EVERYTHING we thought drum corps should be in the early 80's. Cavies went undefeated and put up the highest score in history and have gone on to own the decade so far. Star rose to the top in a short amount of time and pretty much defined what drum corps was gonna look like until The Cavaliers came along and changed that in 2000.

Does anyone think that Cadets are going to go down this particular road again? And do you think that anyone is going to follow them down the path they've set for the past 2 years like everyone followed them before.

I don't. I think we've seen the end of this type of show.

Honestly, I'll take 06 over 03. Neither show really grabbed me like 2005 did but I'll take the corps pushing the envelope in terms of design any day.

Ok, I don't have anything good or bad to say about either show, but I do have one question. You can say that Cadets 06 was "innovative" and it "pushed the envelope". That's cool, but how can you start comparing it to other "innovative" shows in DCI history? Like Star 93, Cadets 83, and Cavies 02. And I'm sorry but this show isn't going to do anything for the activity COMPARED to the onset of assymetrical drill. Not even the same ball park.

All of these other shows that people are comparing Cadets 06 to were all meet with some degree award. Cadets changed EVERYTHING we thought drum corps should be in the early 80's. Cavies went undefeated and put up the highest score in history and have gone on to own the decade so far. Star rose to the top in a short amount of time and pretty much defined what drum corps was gonna look like until The Cavaliers came along and changed that in 2000.

Does anyone think that Cadets are going to go down this particular road again? And do you think that anyone is going to follow them down the path they've set for the past 2 years like everyone followed them before.

I don't. I think we've seen the end of this type of show.

You have an interesting point, and I agree to some extent, Cadets 06 won't have as much effect on the activity as the others you named due to the competitive shortcomings. However, I do think that they provided a new way to present drum corps, that COULD have been the next big thing if it wasn't for the execution of what they did. I'm not saying anything about the performance execution, but the design execution. It was an interesting an innovative idea to do a show like the one they did this past summer, but the show just wasn't designed well enough to change the activity.

As for 05, the execution level was definitely there, and I feel that it was certainly innovative, but only time will tell what long term effects it has on the activity.

Actually, I started this thread so that George Hopkins, who is a member of these forums, can read it and understand how fans of drum corps feel about the direction the Cadets' show design has been going recently and maybe use this information for show design in the future.

Why would he listen to you? I am prety sure George knows how to run corps and work with a design team.

Wow, so this may be one of the most interesting topics ever for me personally on dcp because my drum corps career was framed by marching in these 2 shows, and the only other year i marched was 05. As far as which show was harder, there's really 2 catagories. 03 takes the cake in terms of sheer endurance and never getting a break...those tempos were not slow at all, and there was no ballad or extended drum break...not to mention that we played and marched for an unjudged extra minute. 06 was a harder book (at least for the hornline, and i think maybe the drumline), and honestly a much harder show to get into because of the lack of real crowd response.

Im not even going to touch the issue of innovation with a 10 foot pole, but i will say this. As far as 'difficulty'...for the record, please do not assume that the drum solo was a break by any means. It might have been time off playing, but the only reason it stuck out so much is that all our off time was concetrated in the drum break. We probably presented more material in our opener and closer than most corps did in their entire show (no i havent timed it on the cds, this is just opinion based on observation). And since im guessing most people have not had the joy of lugging a pink bench (with someone sitting on it) around the field trying to do drill and march with technique, we can drop the whole 'it was easy' bit. Im perfectly fine if people dont think it was effective or even interesting...I hated working with those #### things, but in my opinion, the 'tables' made a whole lot of sense and presented a very different kind of demand that most people werent used to seeing or even sure how to judge.

Back to the original question, I personally enjoyed performing 03 more and at the time it meant more to me, but i think in the long run 06 will have more memories and certainly more to talk about.

Nick