Which was better, 1976 Cadets or 2006 Cadets?

I believe that his point was that it was obvious you haven't marched because you refered to something in drum corps as being perfect.

Gotcha. I've never seen a show without an amplified pit, but from the recordings, the balance of the pre-2004 shows between the pit and the drumline seems close to perfect, and I see no reason why amplification was added so that the pit could be louder. Granted, I'm just going off of recordings, but they are how I enjoy drum corps 80% of the time. The intro to Phantom Regiment's ballad this year, for instance, is inaudible over the sound of bells.

Edited by Hrothgar15

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The intro to Phantom Regiment's ballad this year, for instance, is inaudible over the sound of bells.

That was programmed. The entire hornline was faced backfield. It wasn't an overbalance issue. The front ensemble was carrying the focus of the line :)

Gotcha. I've never seen a show without an amplified pit, but from the recordings, the balance of the pre-2004 shows between the pit and the drumline seems close to perfect, and I see no reason why amplification was added so that the pit could be louder. Granted, I'm just going off of recordings, but they are how I enjoy drum corps 80% of the time. The intro to Phantom Regiment's ballad this year, for instance, is inaudible over the sound of bells.

Amps weren't added so the pit could be louder (in most cases, obviously excluding instruments that would be inaudible without amplification). They were added so that some wear and tear could be taken away from the expensive instruments by using softer mallets or concert technique.

Amps weren't added so the pit could be louder (in most cases, obviously excluding instruments that would be inaudible without amplification). They were added so that some wear and tear could be taken away from the expensive instruments by using softer mallets or concert technique.

True, but amplification is responsible for the fact that at times, the pit is completely overbearing.

And I really don't think it's worth it to take what used to be a completely acoustic activity and add sounds that are not made by humans, just so a little money can be saved on isntrment purchases. Drum corps was fine without amplification for 32 years. But that's just one man's opinion.

True, but amplification is responsible for the fact that at times, the pit is completely overbearing.

And I really don't think it's worth it to take what used to be a completely acoustic activity and add sounds that are not made by humans, just so a little money can be saved on isntrment purchases. Drum corps was fine without amplification for 32 years. But that's just one man's opinion.

First, drum corps has been around for a lot longer than 32 years.

Second, drum corps was fine without valves for a while too.

Drum corps was fine without asymmetric drill for the majority of its existance.

Drum corps was fine without grounded pits.

Need I go on?

Also, the recordings are worse than live shows with the pit volume because of the mic placement.

First, drum corps has been around for a lot longer than 32 years.

I meant drum corps of DCI.

Second, drum corps was fine without valves for a while too.

No, it wasn't, because the musicality of shows was limited with these types of instruments.

Drum corps was fine without asymmetric drill for the majority of its existance.

No, it wasn't, because the visual programs that could be produced were limited.

Drum corps was fine without grounded pits.

No, it wasn't, because the percssion sounds that could be produced were limited.

Also, the recordings are worse than live shows with the pit volume because of the mic placement.

True, but I enjoy drum corps a lot more often by listening to shows than seeing them live. I listen to about a dozen shows every day, but I only go to about three shows a year. And I'm sure there are others in the same boat.

No, it wasn't, because the percssion sounds that could be produced were limited.

Did you ever see an udu in drum corps before the amplification of pits was added? Because I'm pretty sure I saw one in BD's show in 04.

FWIW, I think the amplification of pits has created some pretty bad balance issues. The beginning of BD's '06 show, for example - you can hardly hear the trumpet and bari soloists over the pit. 'Tis a shame.

FWIW, I think the amplification of pits has created some pretty bad balance issues. The beginning of BD's '06 show, for example - you can hardly hear the trumpet and bari soloists over the pit. 'Tis a shame.

Agreed. It's still an amazing show, though. It took barely no time to cut out "I'll make him an offer he can't refuse" with MP3 Trimmer.

Did you ever see an udu in drum corps before the amplification of pits was added? Because I'm pretty sure I saw one in BD's show in 04.

Gonna second that...I appreciate the new percussion fun that can be had, but a lot of shows are getting overpowered by the keyboards unless the horn line is at least playing forte on the CD's.

How about the 06 line playing the 76 show? Wasn't that Frank Dorritie's "Kenton Plays Wagner" show?

Seriously, I think the Cadets missing Finals in 1976 is one of the biggest ripoffs in the history of drum corps. At prelims that year, they lost to corps that they were easily beating (by several points) not too many days before prelims. I've heard the tape of the Cadets' prelims performance. That was not a 14th-place corps, IMO.

Fran