Has a judge....

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched Madison 1996. The drum judge doesn't get hit, he is nowhere near the colourguard at the end, and they are using flags, not whips.

Check it again. It's there. Here's a description of where: It's in Malaguena: there's the swing section (the guard has red flags), then the horns make a vertical block on the 50, then the guard put their red flags down at the front sideline. Right when the brass start playing again, WHACK!!! A horn player comes from off the right side of the screen and nails the drum judge.

I hope this helps.

I seem to remember there being a lot of debate on RAMD as to whether or not the horn player leaned into it a bit too much.

http://www.dci.org/news/news.cfm?news_id=4...b2-a18e163a9b4b

I've seen judges pull moves to get out of harm's way that Cirque du Soleil guys couldn't do! :blink:

LOL! I remember this vividly! Seattle performed right before us and we didn't know it had happened. So after we took the field we had to stand in our opening set for over five minutes while he recouperated! I think they did it on purpose! "Icing the kicker" if you will.... :P

I marched Teal Sound in 05 and I played contra...we were at some show where we were on a baseball field and the closest audience member was about 150ft away. Anyway, we had this waterfall type move in the opener where we would haul butt backwards and we were in series of lines parallel with the yard lines, and each row would have someone break off every 2 counts...unfortunately for the drum judge, the drums were right behind us in these sets and of course the judge is right in front of the drumline...well this one contra player broke off and started doing his 4-5 backwards and just absolutely clocks this judge in the back of the head with the butt of the contra...I was a row or 2 over and I could hear it. The judge just kept apologizing and stumbling around...after the show, we looked at his contra and he had a round dent about the size of a softball in the butt of his horn. Was pretty freaking sweet...

I'm very proud to say that the only times I've ever hit judges were in finals performances....once, my friend and I each hit the same judge with our flags (we had to fling them to the side....we couldn't see him....we just heard him say that he'd been hit--like it was an insult or something). The other time, it was my age-out performance, and I had to duck down and sweep up, and I hit the judge's hand with my head. I swear, when I left the sideline with my rifle, he was smiling at me. Like he was proud of me for getting the best of him.

Now that I've been teaching for awhile, I know there are some judges that get so caught up in the show that they feel TERRIBLE when they are caught by surprise by a drill change. We kept changing the end of the opener for our color guard for awhile, and one judge got caught in it. One of my girls did her best to not behead him (she would've done severe brain damage to him had she stayed on course) and he just could not stop apologizing on the tape for his lack of professionalism--he said we deserved better out of him as an adjudicator. Classy. (Though he was also a little embarrassed.)

Judge hunting was more fun when you weren't allowed to speak on the field, it was a tick. Now you are supposed to warn them, not nearly as interesting.

Even when vocals were not allowed, we didn't get penalized for warning a judge of a possible collision. They appreciated the warning.

On the all-age side, from back in the day.....

1981 Sunrisers, an early-season show somewhere in NY State:

Mike Fitzpatrick and I had just finished our mellophone-French horn duet in "Late in the Evening".... we turned, and there blocking our path to return to the drill formation was a judge, with his back to us.

We... ahem..... asked him to move. He didn't... probably didn't hear us.

So we then basically shoved him out of the way.

We might have even muttered a bad word or two.....or three. You know.... just your average friendly greeting from two NY metro area guys. ^0^

To this day, I still can't believe we did that. However, the judge didn't react angrily or anything... just kind of went about his business, as did we!

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

I was in Capital Regiment this past season. Semis performance, right after the mellophone solo in the opener, the mellos, snares, and rifles have the free-form "scatter" for about 60 counts or so. For some reason or another, the vis judge got caught in the middle of the mello part of the scatter, and I nailed him coming back from the front sideline at 186bpm, then he tried to BACK out of my way, even though I'm going backwards, and I stepped on his foot again, right where Carlos (one of the rifle guys) is catching a quad that unfortunately didn't hit the guy. My friend in the mello line two spots back says she heard him say "oooooof! Sorry!" and then run off to the side.

My favorite example of a judge getting stuck in a form on finals night, is the ending of the Seattle '02 opener.