Magic's 2007 Info Meeting

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all of the dollars floating around in central Florida, I am surprised they can't really come up with some innovative ways to finance the corps. They need some things that aren't directly attached to the corps that funnel their revenues into the corps. Easy to say, I know, but it seems to me that is going to be the way to make it work. Something that appeals to tourists, but can be worked at by corps members to raise funds for the corps (and their own dues, etc). The potential opportunities are endless in that area, although I admittedly do not know what the startup expenses would be.

And like I said about the directors, they all couldn't have been bad..sorry don't buy that. But that's just my personal opinion.

Huh? Did I say any of them were bad? I said it's a tough job and I think they must have done okay since they didn't drive the corps further into debt.

What if the "Magic alumni" created an organization that catering companies could turn to, when they are short of help?

Um, like I said before, I have failed to get the alumni motivated as a group to do anything. Run a business? I can't even get them to show up for a meeting. I readily admit that. There is also the problem that many alumni were never from FL in the first place and even fewer live here now. We are trying, but it's going to be slow. I had wished 5 years ago that we'd be more established now, but we do what we can. Apparently there is a lot of distrust in the "old" Magic that I can't seem to shake and the "new" Magic kids are still young and in high school and college.

From my involvement and observation, Magic just doesn't seem to have enough "do-ers". Pretty much the same small core of volunteers showed up throughout the season, and there were many times when one hand was more than enough to count them (and have fingers to spare). Quite frankly, a good chunk of the adults at this meeting were the same core of volunteers - not a promising sign for the future.

This put a hell of a burden on those that did stick with it, especially Gerry, Bruce, Curt, and Pam. If you really understood the personal time and financial commitment they put into it to keep Magic on the road, and then be forced to bear the brunt of every complaint and Magic-basher out there (most, by the way, via comfortable, arms-length mediums like phones, emails, and internet forums), then you'll understand why the burnout occurs and directors change. It takes special folks to have to deal with this day-in & day-out. These are special folks - they've just reached the limit of their patience and resources.

If the directors had a fault, it was that their extreme desire to field a decent corps drove them to be too generous with their own time & money, overconfident they would have strong volunteer participation, and too trusting of the members who never kept their promise to pay dues, and too trusting of staff who never achieved and then ran off mid-season with cash in their pockets.

Magic is not dead:

They're actively interviewing for a new director.

They've received commitments from their key show staff (the folks who put the best elements on the field this year), and are actively looking to fill the remaining holes with quality people.

They have the show concept in development (with no "chaos" in the book).

They have the largest response of veteran RSVP's they've had in years.

They have a tour schedule planned.

They have options ready for auditions and camps.

They even have options ready to purchase horns.

However, even with their "modest budget" they predict a shortage for 2007 & don't have the financial commitments to know it will be resolved. It was made clear in the meeting that it won't be paid of out of Bruce's or Gerry's pocket, as it might have been in the past. At this point their foot is on the pedal, but they won't press accelerator until the gauge shows they have enough gas.

So, they're asking for urgent ideas and help from the members, parents, volunteers, and alumni, to get this thing started.

... this is where the rest of the Magic community needs to get off their butts, roll up their sleeves, and contribute however they can to keep this thing going... and there isn't much time.

So, they're asking for urgent ideas and help from the members, parents, volunteers, and alumni, to get this thing started.

... this is where the rest of the Magic community needs to get off their butts, roll up their sleeves, and contribute however they can to keep this thing going... and there isn't much time.

Thanks for your informative post.

I will ask one question regarding those who need to "get off their butts" and lack of participation. There seems to be a serious lack of COMMUNICATION from Magic to the alumni, parents and volunteers. Please go to the Magic website and let me know where you see ANY mention of the need for contrbutions, urgent ideas, and the help that is needed? I just went there - and there was NONE.

How are people who could not attend the meeting supposed to know about this? How about people who live out of town who would like to help? Unless they happen to stumble on this forum, nobody knows about Magic's need because Magic has not communicated anything via their web site.

As of this morning, here's what was at Magic's message board:

On October 7th, someone posted: "Can we please post something or send out e-mails to give everybody an idea of what is going on. So we can plan on coming back or look to see what else are our possibilities". Still has no response.

On October 12th, someone posted asking if the results of the Magic meeting would be posted on the web site so those who lived out of town or could not make the meeting, could find out what was going on. Four days later, after no reply, the question was asked again. The webmaster promised to post a response as soon as she knew something. That was on the 16th. Today is the 19th and there is no response, nor any notification or request for suggestions or help anywhere on the web site.

On October 12th, someone posted asking about the status of the Magic DVD's that they had paid for some time ago. The producer of the DVD's said he was still waiting for approval, but had never heard back.

People posted on September 27, 28, and 29 asking for details about the Magic banquet which was promised at the end of the year. They needed to know so they could make plane reservations. No response has yet been made.

To date, there is still not one word about ANYTHING related to Magic, the 2007 season, fundraising....NADA...on their web site! Seems funny that Magic would drive people to DCP to get their information. Isn't the Magic website where we should go for "official" information??

Say what you want. I think it shows a total disregard for others.

(BTW, I was one of the volunteers (though, gosh knows, not like Pam...she was amazing!!). I volunteered consistently during summer camp as well as two different locations on tour. So, don't think I'm making comments but did nothing.)

If you go to the Magic website, would you know they need help? Volunteers? Funds? Sponsorships? Are people supposed to be mindreaders?

Doesn't it just make sense to provide information from the SOURCE, instead of asking people to rely on second and third party information or innuendo? Common sense tells you that if there is an information VOID, people will fill that void. Magic can fill it with information directly from them....or allow it to be filled by comments on message boards.

It was said they have about 40 vets were interested in returning. But, without information, how long do you expect them to hang on before running out of time and going with another corps? Or, by the time they do have the information, having to sit out a season because they missed the window of opportunity with another corps?

For those that did attend the meeting, besides the "we need ideas for fundraising", was there anything in place to get back to gether and put something into action? Or were things just left with no action date? (And, since they probably didn't just realize funding was an issue on October 15th, why did they wait until now? Common sense tells me that they should have put all this in motion immediately following Madison...when the momentum was still in place. Instead, they wait until the last minute - with very little time to make things happen. I would think that corporate sponsorships take a bit of time. Over two months time "seeding" sponsors was lost because of no communication.)

I, for one, would hate to see Magic go away. I am sure I'm not the only one who feels that way. But we are not mindreaders. If they need help, they need to let everyone know on their website. And take a moment to answer those with legitimate questions on your message board, like the kid that needs to buy plane tickets for banquet. Even if it's just "cannot comment at this time", post something.

Well said Texas Mom..well said. :worthy::worthy:

This post by Texas Mom is about as great as it gets. It's one of those "You know it's a home run the moment it touched the bat" kind of things. :worthy:

How obtuse do these people think we all can be? When there is a different director every year, but basically the same board, is it really that hard to solve the puzzle? Do they really think that some of us have no "insider" connections to the activity and occasionally get a whiff of an ill wind?

OK... so... Step 1.) (well...OK...in this case step 412, because it does seem as though Meredith anyways is TRYING to get this ball rolling and has probably done 411 things...)

Create a database, or address book (if you will), of all email addresses of as many alumni, current members, staff, mommies and daddies, friends, boosters, well wishers,

contributors, potential marching members, concerned fans, financial institutions (the person there...) that could or do have an interest in the corps, a good plumber and a

bunch of other people who would/could benefit from specific information as it relates to Magic and it's solvency.

Then cut that emails list into specific groups that you could mail out specific targeted info to, ie: current members and alumni; boosters; parents; etc.

Then get out the emails, because US mail would be very expensive, and tell them that if their email address changes, it is THEIR responsibilty to get that new info to the

facilitator of the emailings and provide that address. (BTW, this all would be a huge task for someone to undertake and compile as a useful means of communication...)

Then get emailing...

(I'm quite sure this has been thought of by the powers that be back in or around step 50 or 60... so no intentional insult intended)

Why wasn't any of this done after the 2002 season?

This corps....UNLIKE OTHERS...was given a glorious opportunity to survive and THRIVE. It appears like the herculean efforts by so many after the 1999 debacle of a Magic season were wasted. I mean....it was like a Magic of Orlando telethon during 2002. Guest stars coming into instruct, fundraising, getting horns, unis, etc. What the H##L happened?

Again, it's not enough to get a corps out of the cradle...it's like parenting....it takes a lifetime commitment to make it have a chance at success. It also involves creating a connected supporting community around the corps.

So, it appears that here we are again in 2006, right back where we were after the 2001 mini corps season.

Maybe Magic should also move to Texas....seems like the growing place for drum corps these days.

From my involvement and observation, Magic just doesn't seem to have enough "do-ers". Pretty much the same small core of volunteers showed up throughout the season, and there were many times when one hand was more than enough to count them (and have fingers to spare). Quite frankly, a good chunk of the adults at this meeting were the same core of volunteers - not a promising sign for the future.

This put a hell of a burden on those that did stick with it, especially Gerry, Bruce, Curt, and Pam. If you really understood the personal time and financial commitment they put into it to keep Magic on the road, and then be forced to bear the brunt of every complaint and Magic-basher out there (most, by the way, via comfortable, arms-length mediums like phones, emails, and internet forums), then you'll understand why the burnout occurs and directors change. It takes special folks to have to deal with this day-in & day-out. These are special folks - they've just reached the limit of their patience and resources.

If the directors had a fault, it was that their extreme desire to field a decent corps drove them to be too generous with their own time & money, overconfident they would have strong volunteer participation, and too trusting of the members who never kept their promise to pay dues, and too trusting of staff who never achieved and then ran off mid-season with cash in their pockets.

Magic is not dead:

They're actively interviewing for a new director.

They've received commitments from their key show staff (the folks who put the best elements on the field this year), and are actively looking to fill the remaining holes with quality people.

They have the show concept in development (with no "chaos" in the book).

They have the largest response of veteran RSVP's they've had in years.

They have a tour schedule planned.

They have options ready for auditions and camps.

They even have options ready to purchase horns.

However, even with their "modest budget" they predict a shortage for 2007 & don't have the financial commitments to know it will be resolved. It was made clear in the meeting that it won't be paid of out of Bruce's or Gerry's pocket, as it might have been in the past. At this point their foot is on the pedal, but they won't press accelerator until the gauge shows they have enough gas.

What gets me is the fact that they send people on here to be a mouth piece and blame "internet forums" for their shortcomings but really it's not internet forums or magic bashing. Even the top corps get "bashed" on here from time to time, that just comes with the territory of discussion forums unfortunately.

But another thing that gets me more is the AUDICITY of them to act like it is the "Magic communities" fault for the mismanagment of this organization. To sit there and (you hear it CONSTANTLY), "Don't be part of the problem, be part of the solution", they want us to save them? I really feel for the kids of this organization, that's who I feel for.

How can you sell horns, without having a back up plan and come on here October 19th and beg for people to "get off their butts, roll up their sleeves and contribute however they can to keep this thing going. " That's not fair to put the blame of the organization on other people. So far I've heard that

1) It's the lack of alumni support

2) It's the lack of volunteer parent support

3) We can't blame the problems on the past administration yet it's basically the same administration since at least 04.

The truth is it starts at the top, you can't keep blaming other people for management mistakes.

I just really am curious to see how they're gonna pull this off with all these "Options", I have "Options" on issues every day but that doesn't mean I have the solution all the time. These "Options" they say they have and they don't even have a director, horns, or full staff. Not trying to be pessimisstic, just trying to understand things. And so they have an "idea" for a show..okay then.

C'mon it's October 19th, time to get "rolling"..for the sake of the kids trying out. Don't let those kids down.

When does DCI step in to investigate things? I'm asking anyone who might know.

Edited by Lancerlady