I wish there was a SPTDBCA

I can't speak for other ageouts, but I aged out in '92. I didn't go into senior corps then for several reasons. The main thing was to get on my life. Make money, gain material things and such. Life is kind of put on hold while doing junior corps. Can't work weekends, cause you'll be out of town. Can't work summers, cause you'll be out of town. Not to mention that at that time, there was no local senior corps. Although I can still argue that point a bit even today. But 200 miles or so isn't that much when you have a car and money to pay for gas. It's quite a bit more when your only vehicle is a bicycle and you don't have a job.

Recent trends would indicate a ten year lag from when one aged out until one got active in corps again. Assuming they have the option to do corps again. Several of the people I marched with in junior corps are active in senior circles. And several more from my era, that I competed against but didn't know at that time are active as well. I wouldn't say they don't go into alll-age corps, they just take a few years off before going. At least in my experience.

When I aged out of my junior corps I went right into a senior corps, or all age as the phrase seems to be now. It is not that time invasive compared to junior corps. But eventually, I quit to do other things. So you have a valid point, but there should be a seperate post for that subject and I think that too would be interesting.

Edited by Martybucs

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I only read pages 1 & 4 of this. I must admit, this is something many of us that are marching in the Kingsmen Alumni Corps have discussed. We thought it would be awesome to have 2 categories of competition. One being the new style and one for corps that want to bring back the old style. Unfortunately, I don't think DCI would go for it.

If you want to see real drum corps, come see us perform next year!

Anaheim, their traditional shows were some of the best ever performed. I listened to a lot of Kingsmen recently and Kilties.

Goosebumps! And how about St. Joes then? Were they, "in your face" or what? Traditional corps doesn't have to be about bugle calls and straight drills.

A society of traditional drum corps. Does it really have to have anything to do with DCI? I can't see how it could.

Edited by Martybucs

For those of you who REALLY appreciate old school brass instruments check these guys out:

http://www.chestnutbrass.com/site/brassmusic/

The Chestnut Brass Company would like to announce the release of our newest recording "Distant Dancing". This recording features our touring collection of brass instruments, ranging from the 175 year old Bb keyed bugle by anonymous (Dutch) to Marian's Lawson Fourier (1999 American). Pieces on the recording include one of our favorite works for brass, Richard Peaslee's Distant Dancing. Warren Benson's reflections on dance is another fine piece for quintet titled "Steps". Both of these stellar new works for brass were commissioned by the Chestnut Brass Company. It can be found on Amazon.com.

WOW A 175 year old Bb Bugle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pretty #### sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I played a show with Jay Krush their tuba player and a founding member. Great guy, unbelievable player.

I think everyone would get a kick out of seeing them perform, especially in person. Definitely worth the price of admission.

I know it was you, but I thought we'd already established we disagree. I didn't mention your name because this isn't about the disagreement we have. I never said you said the old shows were not exciting. DCI has proven that drum corps "progress" has been the complete elimination of drum corps. That's progress?

No...that's completely wrong.

If you remember, the theme shows pretty much bombed with the crowds. But that is a topic for another post.

How so? That's not what I remember...or what I see/hear on the 71 albums and DVD that I have.

In anycase, what you say is irrelevent to this post because it is off the topic of having traditional drum and bugle corps. Those that sought to "push the envelope" were the ones that eventually left traditional corps and formed or set the stage for what we have today in place of drum corps.

What we have today IS traditional drum corps. No one 'left' anything.

Hence my analogy of the Black Watch performance and tradition. Indeed, why haven't the Black Watch "pushed the envelope"?

That's up to them...they are a great group, BTW...I've seen them a few times over the years.

Okay, I only read pages 1 & 4 of this. I must admit, this is something many of us that are marching in the Kingsmen Alumni Corps have discussed. We thought it would be awesome to have 2 categories of competition. One being the new style and one for corps that want to bring back the old style. Unfortunately, I don't think DCI would go for it.

Nor would you get members to march in them....or people to risk tens of thousands of dollars on just wishing to dig up members.

If you want to see real drum corps, come see us perform next year!

You undermine what might be a great experience by such comments, IMO.

The Anaheim Kingsmen are no more...and no less...real drum corps than any 206/2007 DCI drum corps.

(Martybucs @ Oct 24 2006, 10:04 PM)

I know it was you, but I thought we'd already established we disagree. I didn't mention your name because this isn't about the disagreement we have. I never said you said the old shows were not exciting. DCI has proven that drum corps "progress" has been the complete elimination of drum corps. That's progress?

No...that's completely wrong.
If you remember, the theme shows pretty much bombed with the crowds. But that is a topic for another post.
How so? That's not what I remember...or what I see/hear on the 71 albums and DVD that I have.
In anycase, what you say is irrelevent to this post because it is off the topic of having traditional drum and bugle corps. Those that sought to "push the envelope" were the ones that eventually left traditional corps and formed or set the stage for what we have today in place of drum corps.
What we have today IS traditional drum corps. No one 'left' anything.

What we have today IS NOT traditional drum corps. I guess you just skipped a dose of medication.

Maybe you liked the "theme" shows, but I don't know anyone that liked them or many that even remember them until you jog their memory.

Garfield had to pass out little booklets explaining their show. Cavies were just laughed at and rdiculed behind their backs.

Their performances of the shows were OK. They just didn't sell with the crowd. Maybe if they had been more TRADITIONAL.

Edited by Martybucs

What we have today IS NOT traditional drum corps. I guess you just skipped a dose of medication.

How is it not traditional drum corps?

Maybe you liked the "theme" shows, but I don't know anyone that liked them or many that even remember them until you jog their memory.

Sorry, but that is 100% wrong, be it Garfield, Cavies or Scouts. Maybe you and your friends didn't like them, but lots of people did.

Garfield had to pass out little booklets explaining their show.

Not "had to"..."chose to", as did Regiment a decade later.

Cavies were just laughed at and rdiculed behind their backs.

Their performances of the shows were OK. They just didn't sell with the crowd. Maybe if they had been more TRADITIONAL.

Our show sold just fine...and the few times I saw the Cavies and Scouts theirs did too.

How is it not traditional drum corps?

Sorry, but that is 100% wrong, be it Garfield, Cavies or Scouts. Maybe you and your friends didn't like them, but lots of people did.

Not "had to"..."chose to", as did Regiment a decade later.

Our show sold just fine...and the few times I saw the Cavies and Scouts theirs did too.

If me and my friends didn't like the shows, is it still 100% wrong, or do you use your own type of convenient math.

You probably choose to believe that they chose to hand out the pamphlets, the people in the stands saying, "what the heck are they doing?" saw them as a necessity.

I have over 40 years of continuous performance and instructional experience, as do you, can't we just agree to disagree?

I don't believe I ever said you were 100% wrong because I respect your perspective. Yes, I think you are dilusional and 100% wrong, but I would never say so.

I meant that last line as satire, not seriously, so I came back to edit it so people would know I was kidding.

Edited by Martybucs

If me and my friends didn't like the shows, is it still 100% wrong, or do you use your own type of convenient math.

You probably choose to believe that they chose to had out the pamphlets, the people in the stands saying, "what the heck are they doing?" saw them as a necessity.

You may choose to believe what you wish. I was part of the corps, and I know what I know about that show. DCP's own Ironlips was the brass instructor/arranger/history expert ( :P ) so he may have a different take than either of us.

Personally, I thought the libretto was great...it really added to the show. That is MHO.

I have over 40 years of continuous performance and instructional experience, as do you, can't we just agree to disagree?

Yes we can, but as you will answer me when you disagree....I will answer you where I disagree. That's what discussion forums are all about.

I don't believe I ever said you were 100% wrong because I respect your perspective. Yes, I think you are dilusional and 100% wrong, but I would never say so.

I meant that last line as satire, not seriously, so I came back to edit it so people would know I was kidding.

No prob!

Personally, I thought the libretto was great...it really added to the show. That is MHO.

Libretto! I had forgotten that's what they called it. I'm laughing only because I remember us all laughing at the time. Everybody thought the long rain coats for after the show were cool, though.