I wish there was a SPTDBCA

Over on the DCI board they're arguing the merits of adding woodwinds to drum and bugle corps. I'm amazed that some think it's OK. Not surprisingly MikeD is OK with it. Most are not. That it is even being discussed makes my original wish in this post all the more poignant.

It's going to happen - woodwinds in drum corps, at least in DCI. I hope that DCA never even considers the option.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over on the DCI board they're arguing the merits of adding woodwinds to drum and bugle corps. I'm amazed that some think it's OK. Not surprisingly MikeD is OK with it. Most are not. That it is even being discussed makes my original wish in this post all the more poignant.

It's going to happen - woodwinds in drum corps, at least in DCI. I hope that DCA never even considers the option.

Don't forget...there is no WW proposal on the table. The DCI forum is just kicking the idea around.

If I get my hands on that MikeD.... :P

That guy is nothing but a troublemaker. b**bs

Fran

Don't forget...there is no WW proposal on the table. The DCI forum is just kicking the idea around.

They shouldn't even be kicking the idea around. The point being that drastic changes have been made to drum corps and have ruined the activity. In my opinion, yes, but in actuality also. These things are "kicked around" until they become a reality.

There has never been anyone to stop the changes because whatever DCI wants, DCI gets, no matter how many organizations are harmed in the process and as long as the top dogs get their way.

Unfortunately, DCA emulates a lot of DCI changes and that is what worries me about, "just kicking", an idea around.

I think there needs to be an organization to say, "STOP!" and preserve a national tradition.

They shouldn't even be kicking the idea around.

The point is that the "they" is not DCI...it's just DCP posters. I don't see a proposal on the table for WW in DCI, so at this time how are they to blame?

The point being that drastic changes have been made to drum corps and have ruined the activity. In my opinion, yes, but in actuality also. These things are "kicked around" until they become a reality.

In your opinion...sure...in 'actuality'...how so? I can't think of one rule change that has 'ruined' drum corps.

There has never been anyone to stop the changes because whatever DCI wants, DCI gets, no matter how many organizations are harmed in the process and as long as the top dogs get their way.

It takes a majority of the voting members to pass any new rule. And...the div II/III corps have their own board that can vote to permit or not permit any specific change approved by DCI in general, as was done when multi-key was passed.

Unfortunately, DCA emulates a lot of DCI changes and that is what worries me about, "just kicking", an idea around.

That is not DCI's "fault". DCA is free to do what it wishes.

I think there needs to be an organization to say, "STOP!" and preserve a national tradition.

Alumni corps do that nicely.

The point is that the "they" is not DCI...it's just DCP posters. I don't see a proposal on the table for WW in DCI, so at this time how are they to blame?

In your opinion...sure...in 'actuality'...how so? I can't think of one rule change that has 'ruined' drum corps.

It takes a majority of the voting members to pass any new rule. And...the div II/III corps have their own board that can vote to permit or not permit any specific change approved by DCI in general, as was done when multi-key was passed.

That is not DCI's "fault". DCA is free to do what it wishes.

You're right.

Bring on the flutes, reeds, amps, keyboards, and most importantly drum machines. whatever.

Do you really think alumni corps nicely uphold and continue the traditions of the past?

With all due respect to alumni corps everywhere, they do not. It is not their function. In most cases, given the membership of most alumni corps, it is not even possible to continue in the vein of what drum corps was when they marched on the field. To suggest that, disrespects them, to say that what the alumni corps represents is the epitome of the traditions past.

Most alumni corps don't even do field shows.

Edited by Martybucs

Do you really think alumni corps nicely uphold and continue the traditions of the past?

With all due respect to alumni corps everywhere, they do not. It is not their function. In most cases, given the membership of most alumni corps, it is not even possible to continue in the vein of what drum corps was when they marched on the field. To suggest that, disrespects them, to say that what the alumni corps represents is the epitome of the traditions past.

Most alumni corps don't even do field shows.

That's OK to me. Just to hear, say, the BSGK start their great chart of "America, the Beautiful", stanstill or parade, is fine by me. Or Sky kick in with "Little Ol' New York"...great stuff. Cabs alums DO a field show in the old style...it's a lot of fun to watch.

Sure, they aren't competing on the field, but that's OK by me.

That's OK to me. Just to hear, say, the BSGK start their great chart of "America, the Beautiful", stanstill or parade, is fine by me. Or Sky kick in with "Little Ol' New York"...great stuff. Cabs alums DO a field show in the old style...it's a lot of fun to watch.

Mike, thanks for the comment on the Cabs Alumni. It's great for me to work with them, and I am sure that they will keep their tradition going.

As you know I played Little Ol' New York, with the GREAT New York Skyliners, and to this day it is one of my favorite OTL tunes EVER!

What isn't OK, by you?

Both Cabs and Sky alumni corps are great and present shows that are reminiscent of the old songs and shows they used to do, but that is not the same as upholding a tradition or adhering to one.

If all tradition is to you is a bunch of old songs, played loud, then you truly don't get it. Most alumni do it for fun, they're not being held responsible for continuing a tradition.

Tradition is the reason and manner in which venerable institutions can pass on their legacy. That is not the responsibility alumnae/alumnus. The continuing of tradition is the responsibility of the generations that follow.

If they choose not to respect tradition, but go their own way, then the tradition is lost. My case against DCI essentially.

But DCI is here and has been here, so I believe they have their own traditions and style and way of doing things, which is fine. I just wish they would have respected the past and upheld the uniqueness of the activity. I think people trusted DCI to keep drum corps unique and to uphold the traditions and they have not done so.That is what has happened and I know you totally disagree with me, but DCI killed drum corps.