I wish there was a SPTDBCA

Yes, but we won two DCA World Championships while I was in and after I left the corps struggled a bit. So you can't blame me. :blink:

And don't forget the 1978 Blecch year to DCA Champs in 1979.

1978 Westshoremen were on the rise and beat Reading twice that year for the first time in corps history. We figured for 1979 Buccs would hold stead at the least, if not continue downward, and Westshore would own Buccs in 1979.

Then we saw Reading for the first time (Danville exhibition?) and it was "Oh ####, how did they get so good, so fast?" :blink:

And good luck at King Frost, Marty. We did Hanover Halloweenie last night and have Millerville Community Day/Homecoming Saturday AM. Weather report for tomorrow AM sounded nasty last I heard. :(

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course! Parades, that's how our corps made most of it's money. We did at least 2-3 parades a month and more on the 4th of July. One 4th of July we did 5 parades in wool cadet style uniforms and back then it was a sin to ask for water. We wore white bucks, they looked kind of snazzy with the red blood when a blister broke. One parade in Harrisburg, it rained and the whole street was awash in white shoe polish.

Parades were a big part of traditional drum and bugle corps because we were together all year and there were parades all year. I mentioned the King Frost parade, which is tomorrow. Brrrr. but we did 2 Pulaski Day parades and at least a Columbus Day Parade and then one or two Thanksgiving (Santa Claus) parades. And if you were from the eastern part of PA, the ever popular, below freezing, icy, windy, hilly Winter Carnival in Pottsville. (I think that parade has been dropped due to lack of interest). A lull for a month or two, then St. Patrick's Day, (we used to do Philly down the windy canyons of Center City - drums loved it).

You almost never see a corps in a parade anymore, unless it's an alumni corps.

I remember seeing Sac in a parade. I think it was Wildwood, and the wall of sound was incredible. They were playing "Eleanor Rigby" I was awestruck by the sound. I remember it because I was like 13 years old and they were the first "big" corps I ever saw. Again, you never get moments like that.

We went, my family, this year to DC for the 4th of July and watched the parade. Lots of high school bands from all over the country. It was HOTTTT!!!!! They all looked like they were death warmed over, but putting on their best despite the heat. They all sounded pretty poor though and looked wilted. I remember well, the feeling of just wanting the thing to be over.

Then down the street came an awesome vision. A huge band in white, red, and gold. Their military bearing was impeccable. It was the all girl high school band from Taiwan, ROC. No lie, I have video, compared to everyone else, they were incredible and the girls playing the BBb convertible tubas were holding them in front with white gloves on. They played "Raiders of the Lost Ark", you probably know the band arrangement. I've played it myself in community band.

They looked and sounded great. I think the crowd reaction spurred them on.

Back to the money, we sold candy too. and funny glass Christmas candles among other things. Maybe that's why our dues were only 25 cents a week.

Edited by Martybucs

And don't forget the 1978 Blecch year to DCA Champs in 1979.

1978 Westshoremen were on the rise and beat Reading twice that year for the first time in corps history. We figured for 1979 Buccs would hold stead at the least, if not continue downward, and Westshore would own Buccs in 1979.

Then we saw Reading for the first time (Danville exhibition?) and it was "Oh ####, how did they get so good, so fast?" :blink:

LOL...... in 1979, we (Sunrisers) were coming off two straight DCA titles, and we were feeling pretty good about our chances for a three-peat.

Until we saw the Buccaneers at our first show that season (Clifton), with those new uniforms and a great show. Then, our feeling changed to "yikes.... we're in some trouble here!"

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

LOL...... in 1979, we (Sunrisers) were coming off two straight DCA titles, and we were feeling pretty good about our chances for a three-peat.

Until we saw the Buccaneers at our first show that season (Clifton), with those new uniforms and a great show. Then, our feeling changed to "yikes.... we're in some trouble here!"

Fran

No one really knows how close Bucs came to folding after the '78 season. The staff and officers really held stuff together. Ron Gehris, Candy Golding, (RIP, dear), and Ned Baldinger, et al, assembled a great crew and we sailed ahead never looking back.

A lot of credit goes to all who marched those two years but most of all to the officers and staff for never giving up and seeing what needed to be done.

1978 was great fun, because it wasn't long before we knew the season was lost and we just went out and had fun. Being beat by Westshore stung a little. Just as an aside, some years Westshore had a pretty good show and I never understood why they didn't place higher. Hmmmm. politics? In drum corps? Naaah, couldn't be.

1979, what a blast. The music was great. All the sections were performing at their best. One of the DCA judges tapes we got was dubbed the, "Holy ####" tape because the judge exclaimed the interjectory expletive and then said, "I'm going ten!' don't tell anyone I said this, I'm going Ten!"

Edited by Martybucs

You almost never see a corps in a parade anymore, unless it's an alumni corps.

:doh:

maybe where you live! Hurcs do multiple parades for Memorial Day weekend ~ like anywhere between 5 & 7 depending on the year. 2 for the 4th of July. used to be 2 for St. Patrick's Day *not sure if they still do Hartford's*. obviously they can't do any for Labor Day because they are away for DCA's.

Hawthorne Cabs competitive corps also is quite parade crazy for the various holidays.

No one really knows how close Bucs came to folding after the '78 season. The staff and officers really held stuff together. Ron Gehris, Candy Golding, (RIP, dear), and Ned Baldinger, et al, assembled a great crew and we sailed ahead never looking back.

Candy was a great gal....she was a flute player in the first HS marching band I worked with starting my freshman year of college, 1971. It was the Glen Ridge NJ band, and their director Larry Schillings (former Racine Scout, I think) was the Cadets asst brass instructor to Frank Dorrittie.

Candy was a wonderful person, and a heck of a flute player.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Recently, heard a program on National Public Radio, on Radio Times, I believe. Marty Moss-Cowain,(sp?). She interviewed the Philadelphia Brass, a brass quintet from, lots of places, but they meet in Philly.

In anycase, the topic of performing on brass instruments came up and the difficulties contained therein. One of the players said he caught a broadcast of DCI on ESPN and said the shows were incredible. Another member commented (paraphrase, I'll have to listen again), That's fine if you like brass playing as part of a multi-media presentation.

My guess is they prefer that the brass playing to being able to stand on it's own without a bunch of distractions on the field. Even in percussion, I would guess. How impressive a great drum line is on it's own without all those spastic woodpeckers in the pit.

I've spoken about tradition.. I've spoken about re-vitalizing DCA. I've spoken about individual units.. I've spoken about DCA'S administration. I've spoken about the revitalization of drum and bugle corps.

All I've gotten - is accusations.

Seriously.. when is the accusations going to go away? And if some of you mean to portray your LAST DCI accomplishment? I'm not interested.

SOOO not interested in your accomplishments. I've been there and done that.

Sharon

I've spoken about tradition.. I've spoken about re-vitalizing DCA. I've spoken about individual units.. I've spoken about DCA'S administration. I've spoken about the revitalization of drum and bugle corps.

All I've gotten - is accusations.

Seriously.. when is the accusations going to go away? And if some of you mean to portray your LAST DCI accomplishment? I'm not interested.

SOOO not interested in your accomplishments. I've been there and done that.

Sharon

HUh? :lol: