1963 - Tony Schlechta Responds to GE Editorial

This is too good to be on RAMD only. Thanks to NanciD for posting this.

Historical note: Tony Schlecta ran the Drum Corp show portion of the VFW National Convention with a conservative iron hand. IOW - he made, applied and was final word on what was and wasn't allowed. Ask any 1971(?) Madison member about the "Alice in Wonderland" show that had to be done "straight". Another reason why the Combine/DCI and DCA was started.

Editorial:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?S5D11570E

Schlechta:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?J1063270E

--

NanciD

Historical Drum Corps

PS - Anyone know why the Senior portion of VFW was dropped about this time?

Anyone remember Boston Crusaders showing up at the Shriners show in Toronto, June 1969 with keyboards,it was recorded(I have it) and they were told to loose them, which they did. They kept the same drum solos which featured them and it sounded pretty empty the rest of the year.

Anyone remember Boston Crusaders showing up at the Shriners show in Toronto, June 1969 with keyboards,it was recorded(I have it) and they were told to loose them, which they did. They kept the same drum solos which featured them and it sounded pretty empty the rest of the year.

Yes, I saw them a few times that year...and at the VFW Nats in Philly where they had to lose them.

Ruined a great percussion book...their "Unsquare Dance" solo (in 7/8) sounded like

boom chick boom chick boom chick chick/ over and over.... :laugh: