Classical music in DCA?

The #$@# United mini in corps got me to thinking about classical music in DCA.They did it extreamly well but what about those corps that are struggling with the book?

Are you as entertained by them when they are not so clean and impressive?

How many of you are actually entertained by classical music in DCA?

FWIW I like classical music in the right venue,,but I hate it on the field.I mean if I want to hear classical music I will go to the symphony.I could not imagine having to march a whole season playing that music.

What say you?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love classical music :)

P.S. Drum books written to classical music are usually very tastey and creative!

The #$@# United mini in corps got me to thinking about classical music in DCA.They did it extreamly well but what about those corps that are struggling with the book?

FWIW I like classical music in the right venue,,but I hate it on the field.I mean if I want to hear classical music I will go to the symphony.I could not imagine having to march a whole season playing that music.

What say you?

Well, obviously the crowds love classical music when it's done well. The reaction to Bucs' all-classical programs the last few years speaks pretty well to that. The Bushwackers don't seem to lack for crowd reaction either. When it's done well is the key, but really...it's no different from jazz or any other musical style. If it's not done well, it sucks. Period.

I'm a jazz guy. But I enjoyed playing the classical programs at Bucs in 2004 and 2005? Why? Because they were superbly arranged programs that entertained the audience. There have been plenty of jazz programs that I haven't liked over the years in DCA because they were not superbly arranged and they were not entertaining. They were different, and not what "everyone else was doing".

The great thing about DCA is that it's a well-rounded meal. You get appetizers, you get meat, you get veggies, and you get great desserts. Attending a DCA finals where all ten corps played jazz would be like eating nothing but desserts. Sure, it's tasty, but it's not really got for you.

Classical music provides DCA's meat and veggies. Hey, if you don't like meat and veggies, that's fine...but in the end you just gonna be an old fat jazz-loving dude.

P.S. Drum books written to classical music are usually very tastey and creative!

Ive heard ZERO DCA lines that executed Classical music well enough to be entertaining.#@$% United was the exception.

I found myself extreamly bored with the DCI corps that did classical music last year.Phantom were the exceptions.WHY???Becuase of the level of difficulty they attempted and the way they were able to execute it.Much like ^%$@ United did at Mini Corps.(sorry cant ever bring myself to say the word $#%@)

All of the other corps at DCI 06 that did Classical music made me want to get up and go to the bathroom and throw up.

Edited by camel lips

I love classical music both on and off the field B)

but in the end you just gonna be an old fat jazz-loving dude.

Ive got no problem with that. :P

What say you?

There's a long tradition of great classical music performances in DCA. Most were varying degrees of awesome entertainment depending on the piece.

I'm thinking back to Buccaneers Sylvia and Russian Sailor's Dance or Tchaikovski's 5th, Meadowlands, Boris Gudonov, etc. Cabs "Pagliacci" was cool, OK, I may be the only one here, but I liked it. Last year's Bucs "Adagio for Strings", was simply beautiful.

Skyliner's "Slaughter on 10th Avenue" was contemporary classic, (and you often hear the piece on Classical radio stations, but don't tell Sky) but I loved it. I know I'm going back many years, but I'm old, I'm allowed to. I was pretty busy in the late '80s and 90s with ailing parents so I didn't see much from those years.

Gosh, I know there are many more examples, but I can't think of them. I'm old, remember? Verdi's, "Requiem" with Ritchee Price's solo work, very nice.

Edited by Martybucs

Ive heard ZERO DCA lines that executed Classical music well enough to be entertaining.#@$% United was the exception.

Now that's just plain ridiculous. Are you saying that Bucs percussion playing the Bartok String Quartet #4 in 2005 was not entertaining?

Yikes.

Now if you mean strictly mini-corps, I can't speak to that only having seen DCA minis in 2006. And yes, I did have Star United as the most entertaining of the night. I think the vast majority of the room thought so too, judging from the overwhelming response they got which doubled that of any other mini that came out. Classical can be entertaining, and they proved it.

Edited by Kamarag

Now that's just plain ridiculous. Are you saying that Bucs percussion playing the Bartok String Quartet #4 in 2005 was not entertaining?

Yikes.

it.

Im not singeing any corps out here.I think Buccs did what they did cleaner than everyone else and thats why they won.PERIOD!Had they played barber shop quartet music that clean,,they would have still won in the judges eye.

As far as being ENTERTAINED???

The answer is NO!

Lets not turn this out to be a ANTI anyones corps thread but a serious discussion on classical music in DCA.

Thanks for your response.