Classical music in DCA?

Variety.

If I have to sit through one more Blue Devils tune played slower and dirty with the same arrangement at DCA I am going to have to smack someone.

Classical music - sure I love it, but don't present it the same way someone else did in DCI and a much faster tempo and cleaner performance.

Now watching DCA the last few years, I think most corps have taken a nice variety of concepts and done them well, there are still a few that need a boost of entertainment and excitement...

but to answer the question - I do like Classical music in DCA. There are some incredible examples, esp of late, of quality and entertaining classical-based performances (whether in whole or in part of the show)

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can say that I'm not a huge classical fan but some of the stuff is really great. Anytime I hear a corps do the Planets I have to listen to it a few times. I loved Bucs Adagio for Strings in 2005 and I enjoyed that entire show. I didn't like every single part but it was a good show nonetheless. I must say that I was cheering for Bucs in 2005 more for the fact that 10 years ago they were sitting where the Skyliners are right now and they fought their way up to the top from the very bottom like we are trying to do.

But anyway, classical music. I like certain stuff but not other stuff. Just my preference. :)

In my opinion, this is a fairly pointless thread. :blink: Different people like different things. Different corps play different styles of music. If we all played the same style, it'd be incredibly boring. It's the variety that makes it more entertaining for the audience and in the box.

/this from a guy who's played a few of those BD arrangements slower and dirtier. Thank you very much.

/I said "in the box."

In my opinion, this is a fairly pointless thread. :blink: Different people like different things. Different corps play different styles of music. If we all played the same style, it'd be incredibly boring. It's the variety that makes it more entertaining for the audience and in the box.

/this from a guy who's played a few of those BD arrangements slower and dirtier. Thank you very much.

/I said "in the box."

...you also said slower and dirtier....... ^0^

ANY music can kick ###, it depends on it's presentation and execution.

One thing I like about Renegades, we usually take like, every style we can find, stick them into a blender and see what happens.

But, DCA has been primarily a jazz corps circuit, because that's what works for most corps, and honestly, jazz comes across better with minimal rehearsal time than serious classical music. That's why you've got to hand it to corps like Bush and Buccaneers, who are taking rarely led paths in DCA and kicking ### with them.

I've always felt that in DCI, the Blue Devils were/are the most unique corps, being the only consistent finisher at the top that more or less sticks with the jazz style amongst competitors that have made their mark with serious classical programs over the years. I'd have to say that these days, the Buccaneers share an analagous form of uniquity in DCA, as I've yet to hear/see a senior corps put on a classical show with the same power and prescence, amongst top DCA corps that are primarily jazz oriented. (Bush, you're RIGHT up there though....)

Me personally, I like being in a corps that plays both classical and jazz, throws some techno on top and.........wears big black coats :)

Variety.

If I have to sit through one more Blue Devils tune played slower and dirty with the same arrangement at DCA I am going to have to smack someone.

Oh, I am DEFINITELY "with Stupid" on THIS ONE!!!!

w/Stp:

Ed..........the classics and light classics have been around since the 30's. Much standard, light and comic opera has found its way onto the field from since then. Many shows have cotained or have been themed after scores from operettas.

Good music sells if performed well. That is as true today as ever.

:blink:

Right on the gonads, Jim!

Sorry Ed, but Jim's got something here. I've always thought it commendable when ANY drum corps, but especially a DCA corps took on a classical piece.

Personally, I think the Bucs have done those better than anyone else in DCA over a longer period of time, but there have been others. I find it refreshing for part-time players to take on complex pieces and in most cases, they have done it well. MBI was never big on classical pieces, but when they did Moonlight Sonata in 2004, even I was impressed. Anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm as big a critic of MBI's hornline the last few years as anyone, but that was as good as I have heard in awhile.

Maybe classical music may not create the opportunities to throw babies or have orgasms from the crowd, but most of the time, I have always heard positive repsonse from DCA crowds for shows with classical themes or music.

You might need to give it chance to grow on you a little more..Somewhere, someday, a drum corps hornline is going to give you that rush from a classical piece as well as from the "standard" drum corps fare. Just keep an open mind and ear, and you'll get there, sir.

Pat

I personally prefer classical and symphonic music in drum corps, and I suppose it was meant to be that my adopted hometown corps plays classical and symphonic music!

Thinking about why this is so, I realized that it's about one thing -- emotion. For me personally, classical and symphonic music (music that's accessible, of course) has more built in opportunity to take me on an emotional journey than any other style. Add the unique instrumentation and the possibilities it creates for sounds and moods and I'm on pins and needles and loaded with goosebumps much of the time. Drum corps for me is about goosebumps. My two favorite DCI corps -- SCV and Phantom Regiment -- give me more goosebumps more often than anyone else! And, of course, the Reading Buccaneers give me goosebumps all the time!

Edited by TomMoore