Madison Scouts announce 2007 design team

Success is very subjective.

I've never heard of anybody questioning Boerma, Scruggs, Putnam, Travis, Doss, Sal or any other alumni staff member's allegiance to the Madison Scouts. I don't know of any alumni that want the Madison Scouts to fail either. I do know that placing high doesn't necessarily mean that you've been successful, though it is quite helpful.

I'm glad that you liked Madison's shows the last few years. I absolutely loved their 2005 show. Just because they are hiring some new people that have marched or worked for the Scouts before doesn't mean that they aren't going to think outside the box. All of the people that they've hired have worked with countless other corps, bands, guards, and drumlines. They take pride in the Madison Scouts and want to give the members a chance to have what what they got as members. There will be people that never marched Madison. There will be people that marched some amazing shows with Madison. Having pride in the corps that you teach has an amazing affect on the members. I can't imagine that they are going to perform "A Drum Corps Fan's Dream Part Tres". The board of directors doesn't change things to regress, they change things to find success.

Not that it matters much, but Waymire isn't an alumni.

Read the earlier pages, Things like The Scouts finally want to be chanpions again

True allumni at last, Putting people on the edge of their seats again Those may be paraphrased but the meaning is the same.

I hope the corps does well. I know the people no longer with them will. i just think it is wrong to dishonnor the people who brought you back to credibility

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are indeed some very credible names and I have no doubt that they know what they are doing. I think it still will come down to how many of the vets that can return, do return. A good staff is important, but nothing replaces experienced

members...especially in the drumline.

I wish the new staff and The Scouts nothing but the best!

Has anyone heard if Scott Boerma is going to be working with another corps this year? I still consider him the best in

the business.

I wish the Scouts well. I DO hope though that they have been doing some recruiting. From what I hear the entire snare line will NOT be returning. OUCH!

Read the earlier pages, Things like The Scouts finally want to be chanpions again

True allumni at last, Putting people on the edge of their seats again Those may be paraphrased but the meaning is the same.

I hope the corps does well. I know the people no longer with them will. i just think it is wrong to dishonnor the people who brought you back to credibility

In 2003, with the massive staff turnover in Madison, I heard many people say that Madison was back. I heard people saying that Madison was going to be competitive again. I heard pretty much the same stuff that I'm hearing now. I hated hearing things like that. I felt insulted that people thought that my corps wasn't credible. Somethings that needed to change changed. Somethings that made the Madison Scouts the Madison Scouts changed. I embraced, and enjoyed most of the change, mostly because the Madison Scouts should never be out of finals.

I love the passion and the pride that the Madison Scouts have in their corps. I've been around plenty of staff members in plenty of corps who take pride in themselves and their work, have a lot of energy and great information, but don't go as far as loving, and believing in the corps that they work for as much as they believe in themselves. You don't have to be an alumni to love the Scouts, you don't have to be an alumni to be the greatest instructor ever in the Scouts. You aren't going to find as many members that take as much pride in their corps if your staff doesn't have that pride though. I'm glad to see some of these new names on staff, not because I'm comparing them to some of the staff that aren't coming back this year, but because these are some amazing individuals who have not only proven their status as great instructors, but because they have proven themselves as great Madison Scouts.

I have my own opinions, which I don't care to discuss in a public forum, about individual staff members that have worked with Madison for the last few years. That isn't to say that I wanted an overhaul, and that I think Madison isn't Madison. I am just excited to see some changes.

As with success, credibility is subjective.

Edited by Jonny

It is amazing that i get labelled as a troll while the people on here have belittled the staff that brought the corps from out of finals to the success thay have experienced. It appears for the most part they have returned to pre success levels with in the staff. Was Scott Stewart not available?

Also i am suprised people have not complained about comments like true allumni. I would bet Boerma, Weymeyer, Salas would be very suprised that they were not true allumni. I guess they thought out side the box and have been shunned.

I have enjoyed the Scouts for many years but I think some mistakes have been made with the elimination of people who were advancing you. I guess we will know in August...maybe in June.

whos belitteling the other staff? and pre-success levels? Jon Jorgenson wrote some of the best horn books from 84 through 88 and Chritsos Theo wrote their drum book from 78-85 and then he went to Cavies and taught their drumline from 86 until 96 and didn't they do pretty good with him onboard? Chad Dugan worked with the guard through some of the best years of Madison guards 95-98. In fact none of the new staff were there during the "so called" pre-success levels, which was 2000 thru 2002

and also you seem to think that winning over the audience automatically means that they aren't gonna place high. that is absurd look at Phantom Regiment, they thrilled the crowd and got second. Also, maybe sal wasn't let go because of placement but the board had reasons that we don't know about. and by the way, the others that didn't stay weren't eliminated. They resigned voluntarilly.

Edited by Steven Rocco

Excellent news!

Can't wait to see the show!!

Stef

Well, they were not gone, and I did not mean to say that the Scouts have not been the Scouts, I should have said this is the first time in quite a while where I feel the Scouts have all the bases covered in terms of design and I am sure instruction. Personally, I can not say that over a few of the last seasons. Just my opinion.

Yep, 2002 was not a good year at all. Missing finals in your own home town was devastating. Things appeared to get better after that, but as was said by the Board...they want to take Madison to the next level and this is the crew that is charged with doing that. having worked with Jeff and Matt and seeing them as instructors...I know the instruction is going to be at a high level.

If the organization can fundraise in a significant way....look out.

I wish the Scouts well. I DO hope though that they have been doing some recruiting. From what I hear the entire snare line will NOT be returning. OUCH!

well since they GOT that line from another corps ( instructor ) its fitting they loose them when he leaves.

not saying much about the members who JUMP ship far too often.

Edited by louielouie

Well, students followed the last instructor from one corps to another so I imagine that at least some students will follow the current instructors from their bands, drum lines, guards, etc. to Madison.

Well, students followed the last instructor from one corps to another so I imagine that at least some students will follow the current instructors from their bands, drum lines, guards, etc. to Madison.

Hey if their that loyal to an individual or staff and they think that their making the best decision for themselves, then right on. Do I agree with it, no, but hey, if that is how deep loyalty runs, then they might as well go and see how they handle auditioning in Allentown, or wherever they may go.

Hey if their that loyal to an individual or staff and they think that their making the best decision for themselves, then right on. Do I agree with it, no, but hey, if that is how deep loyalty runs, then they might as well go and see how they handle auditioning in Allentown, or wherever they may go.

I didn't say that the lack of loyalty to corps is good, just that seems to be the way it works.