Esperanza

Don't you find it remarkable that NO ONE WANTED to take over a corps' direction when the director went off to grad school? Maybe that's because Esperanza as an organization was indeed a "blip". Corps come and go, and if no one was there to pick up the baton, what was DCI going to do about it? "No, Alan, you can't go to grad school; you must stay Director." Seriously.

.... it's not very easy to take over a corps when the director waits til mid-march to resign.

Edited by nesquick3

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is in refernce to the original post regarding "out with the 2003 Div II champs and in with the 2006 Div II champs"

While Academy had absolutely nothing to do with the demise of "E", I think it was the perceived attitude of the orignial poster, like "ha ha, we're in, and you're not".

Off topic comment:

I've had many "run-in's" with the Academy kids and support staff over the past 2-3 years, and quite frankly, if their attitdue doesn't change, they're going to get the butts kicked pretty bad this season. If the orignal poster is indicative of the Academy attitude, it could get pretty ugly pretty quickly.

I seem to remember a few significant incidents of "Bad Blood" between the academy and E. particularly events of Academy members in their corp jackets harassing E members and the souvie crew. <**>

i dunno if those events are what the op of that statement was talking about though.

I thought it was interesting that he waited until now to resign... :laugh:

Im guessing that the problems that are being mentioned on this thread may (not saying that they are)be the reason why...

Edited by sopchick_01

I'm sure you had some run-ins that were unpleasant, but you can't take that to be the attitude of everyone associated with the corps. That just simply isn't true. Capital had a lot of people with a lot of attitude problems spouting remarks left and right, but I would hope that people would be smart enough to realize that those are the opinions of a small few and not the attitude of the group as a whole. That's just how it is, the angry/ cocky ones are always the loudest and reflect poorly on the rest. Don't let those run-ins with idiots sour you on Academy.

I agree. You can't stigmatize the whole corps by a few bad "apples" that are ruining the image. Im pretty sure that many (if not all) corps have at least one person that gives an organizations a not-so-great representation.

I thought it was interesting that he waited until now to resign... :laugh:

Possible that he wanted to leave earlier but no one was willing or able to take over. Finally push came to shove and he couldn't wait any longer.

Same thing happened to a Senior corps in the 80s. BusMang said for a year that he wanted to leave but either no one really believed him or wanted to step in. End result was the corps was dissolved at the start of the competative season when the BusMang finally left. Others stepped in a few weeks later to basically reform from scratch. Another bad situation that could have been handled better.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I think this is in refernce to the original post regarding "out with the 2003 Div II champs and in with the 2006 Div II champs"

While Academy had absolutely nothing to do with the demise of "E", I think it was the perceived attitude of the orignial poster, like "ha ha, we're in, and you're not".

Off topic comment:

I've had many "run-in's" with the Academy kids and support staff over the past 2-3 years, and quite frankly, if their attitdue doesn't change, they're going to get the butts kicked pretty bad this season. If the orignal poster is indicative of the Academy attitude, it could get pretty ugly pretty quickly.

that is what I was talking about.

I seem to remember a few significant incidents of "Bad Blood" between the academy and E. particularly events of Academy members in their corp jackets harassing E members and the souvie crew.

i dunno if those events are what the op of that statement was talking about though.

yup again

also I never once blamed academy for esperanza folding and I also never said I hated them.

maybe you shouldn't make blanket statements based on a few individuals or the perceived attitudes of an internet posting....

personally, while it could have been said a little differently/better, i perceived that comment to be along the lines of several conversations that happen throughout DCP, where a running tally is kept of who's where in what division, active a certain summer, etc.... not in a malicious "you're out" kind of way. but experiences shape interpretations.

while i'm sorry to hear of members of my old corps acting in less than the classy way we were taught, they don't speak for all past and present members. i wish nothing but the best for members looking to march this summer and i hope that esperanza can soon return as a strong, successful organization.

let's return this thread to it's topic. :)

You know, I've experienced this, as well. and very recently. I hope this isn't a trend with a corps, that'd be a shame.

.... it's not very easy to take over a corps when the director waits til mid-march to resign.

or stays on the Executive Board after his resignation, so i've heard. Not much will change if he's still running things.

Edited by MalletMusic