Drum Corps Should Be A Required Activity For All US Citizens

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd settle for greater funding of music education in our schools.

Peter

i second that.

drum corps is an activity that requires certain skills. Not everybody can handle it. I think saying that everyone should be required to do it is like saying that its a simple thing that anyone can do, which its not! and i take great pride in being in the percentile of people in the world that are skilled enough to participate in DCI. A percentile that i'm sure the entire community is also proud to be in.

I can't believe some people seriously think that drum corps should be required . . . Should sports? Poetry club? Fencing? A religion? The military?

Hey, how about an education? Or a family? Or how a job? Or how about in America, we get to choose our destiny?

Nah, that's stupid. If they can play a double G . . .

I'd settle for greater funding of music education in our schools.

Peter

Throwing money at a problem does not fix it, how about better teacher who will actually teach the subject without bringing in thier politics? Afterall if Christianity is removed from education, why not political leanings??

America For The Seperation of Politics and Education. ^OO^

Everyone stop what you're doing and go out and rent "Mad Hot Ballroom". It's about a mandatory phys. ed. program in NYC schools where sixth graders take ballroom dance classes at school.

If government leaders understood the core traits of drum corps astonishing and profound insights and ideas that have enormous consequences for all of today's organizations. If we want to understand, constituencies and crowds or future customers this activity should be reqired for all.

That is my statement.

Mom

I aggree...only vote for pro-drum corps candidates this fall. Ask your candidates for their stance on drum corps. Ask them whether they think drum corps is healthier now....on second thought no. Bad question.

Throwing money at a problem does not fix it, how about better teacher who will actually teach the subject without bringing in thier politics?

Which will ultimately require- you guessed it- MONEY.

drum corps is an activity that requires certain skills [insert *1]. Not everybody can handle it [insert *2] I think saying that everyone should be required to do it is like saying that its a simple thing that anyone can do [insert *3], which its not! and i take great pride in being in the percentile of people in the world that are skilled [insert *4] enough to participate in DCI.

*1 and wealthy parents

*2 and/or have lots of discretionary money or be able to be touring the nation for weeks at a time.

*3 and afford

*4 and financially well-off

The one thing I really want to see is people learn how to work. Some people come across hard times and mope about it, while other people come across problems and work through it. While I don't think everybody would enjoy the drum corps activity itself, learning to push to achieve the best is something admirable. What "the best" is, is then up for debate.

I also believe in perfectly flat football fields at least once a season, a cloud covering the sun for a moment just before run-through, more than three showerheads for 100 people (I didn't say they all had to work), and a scaffolding that will not give anybody tetanus. We can dream, right?

Have a good night. :)