Magic going inactive

We didn't even have kids who marched and it was surprising to me how many of the parents didn't show up to volunteer when they said they would. Not to mention the fact that nobody even bothered to show up to show us how to do what we were supposed to do. We had to get Jimmy up to show us how to turn on that stove. We we were the ones who went out to buy the bread and other things needed to feed you guys. And this is just a point of what I'm saying no communication, mismangement etc...

Steph, I know you worked hard while you were there but consider this for a moment:

I've been volunteering for a little over 20 years now.. most of that time has been spent just showing up and doing whatever needed to be done.. cooking, sewing, shopping, picking up kids at the airport or dropping them off, fixing stuff, organizing and running fundraisers.. it's the nature of volunteerism in this activity.

At EVERY CORPS I have volunteered with, there were times when I had to run out at a moment's notice to get more bread or milk or fruit or whatever.. sometimes with my own money (though each time, I submitted the receipt and was reimbursed).. and ALWAYS in my own car with my own gas. It's not necessarily an indication of a poorly run organization that a volunteer or four didn't show up or can't make it at the last moment.. or that there's a shortage of food for some reason or other.. or that somebody doesn't make it a point to stop and say thank you. It DOES happen from time to time and when it does, if I happen to notice or get upset about it, I always ask myself, "why am I here?" and the answer is always the same.. and I keep right on going.. until that answer changes, I'll just keep right on going.

And for the record, too.. those corps I worked with where I didn't like the administration -- I either joined it to try and make a difference at the board level.. or I went elsewhere.. never once did I level public jabs at people whom I knew were making a genuine effort to put a corps on the field despite my dislike for their personality or methods.

Like my mom used to tell me, if you don't have anything nice to say, get back in the kitchen and finish the dishes.

:)

Good luck to you, Magic. You regrouped and returned once. I have faith you can do it again.

Stef

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very sad to see that Magic will not be coming out this year. I have watched and enjoyed them for many years. Unfortunately, the good intentions of some really good people have them taking a break to regroup.

I have read this thread in its entirety and finally decided to reply about the "drop down" to D2. For those that have commented about D2 being a drop down, I sincerely hope you get an opportunity to visit a D2 (or D3 Corps) and watch them rehearse. I can assure you that from being involved with both D1 Drum Corps and D2 that the aspects are the same. The rigors of practicing in the 100 degree heat in Jacksonville are no different than those in Orlando/Clermont. The kids involved in Magic are no different than those involved with Spartans (or any other D2 Corps). The food in most D1 corps is the same as in most D2 corps. (I say most because Teal's food is really, really, really good) And finally, the effort put out by the D2 members is the same as the D1 members (Maximum). This activity has a way of making good kids into great adults. Even those from D2 corps.

Off the Box

Dennis

I wish I could say this was a huge surprise :(

You could say that. I knew they had some big problems, but I expected them just to overcome them. If inactivity is what's best, then let it be. At least we don't got any folders.

Steph, I know you worked hard while you were there but consider this for a moment:

I've been volunteering for a little over 20 years now.. most of that time has been spent just showing up and doing whatever needed to be done.. cooking, sewing, shopping, picking up kids at the airport or dropping them off, fixing stuff, organizing and running fundraisers.. it's the nature of volunteerism in this activity.

At EVERY CORPS I have volunteered with, there were times when I had to run out at a moment's notice to get more bread or milk or fruit or whatever.. sometimes with my own money (though each time, I submitted the receipt and was reimbursed).. and ALWAYS in my own car with my own gas. It's not necessarily an indication of a poorly run organization that a volunteer or four didn't show up or can't make it at the last moment.. or that there's a shortage of food for some reason or other.. or that somebody doesn't make it a point to stop and say thank you. It DOES happen from time to time and when it does, if I happen to notice or get upset about it, I always ask myself, "why am I here?" and the answer is always the same.. and I keep right on going.. until that answer changes, I'll just keep right on going.

And for the record, too.. those corps I worked with where I didn't like the administration -- I either joined it to try and make a difference at the board level.. or I went elsewhere.. never once did I level public jabs at people whom I knew were making a genuine effort to put a corps on the field despite my dislike for their personality or methods.

Like my mom used to tell me, if you don't have anything nice to say, get back in the kitchen and finish the dishes.

:)

Good luck to you, Magic. You regrouped and returned once. I have faith you can do it again.

Stef

Yeah I hear what you're saying and I'm choosing to move on however, I just hope from all of this, when Magic regroups they will learn from their mistakes, and communicate with those who want to help.

I know those things happen from time to time (running out of food etc) and I have no problem with that, that is not the problem I had, but when you keep hearing it and seeing that it happens over and over again, well..something needs to change. And for the record, every thing I have brought into a discussion forum has been for the benefit of people being able to make intelligent informed decisions, and I see nothing wrong with that. If you see things going wrong you should question it, there is a difference between discussing and making "jabs" as you put it, it doesn't have anything to do with personality conflicts, it has to do with allowing people enough time to make informed decisions with proper information.

But like you said, they regrouped once, they can do it again, IF they have the right administration. 04 was one of my favorite shows. A great group of kids too.

Edited by Lancerlady

You must have not seen us at a late show. Besides, the show D2 show's are judged on completely different sheet's, and the show's are not as demanding. To say the Teal Sound is good is one thing, to say that a D 1 corps was better than them, I beg to differ. No lie, if Magic 06 was Div 2, we would have had a ring. Come to think of it, if Pioneer was D2, they would have had a ring.

Yeah. About that . . . No.

I understand there are politics in DCI, especially in the scoring of upper tier Corps, but to say you got cheated . . . I disagree. And I can find points from your show that would say you never got cheated. Yeah, you guys definately put in the effort, just like everyone else, but . . . someone's gotta get last place. Or 2nd to last place.

I loved Pio's show. I've watched it a bunch of times. But again, there are things that go on during shows which doesn't let it get higher scores.

And, last I heard, Div. II and Div. III were scored on the same sheets? Am I missing something? I remember when I was with a Div. III Corps, being scored in the same way as a Div. I Corps.

and what about the Orlando show in 05? Teal Sound getting a 55.something, and beating out Kiwanis.

A Div. II Corps beating a Div. I Corps.

And who says a Div. II show isn't as demanding as a Div. I Corps? It all depends on what the show calls for drill-wise and music-wise. I know of many Div. II Corps and Div. III Corps that could take a Div. I brassline or hornline any day.

Also, didn't Academy score a 96 or 95 in 2006? Cavies scored a 97.2.

Yeah.

I understand there are politics in DCI, especially in the scoring of upper tier Corps, but to say you got cheated . . . I disagree. And I can find points from your show that would say you never got cheated. Yeah, you guys definately put in the effort, just like everyone else, but . . . someone's gotta get last place. Or 2nd to last place.

I loved Pio's show. I've watched it a bunch of times. But again, there are things that go on during shows which doesn't let it get higher scores.

And, last I heard, Div. II and Div. III were scored on the same sheets? Am I missing something? I remember when I was with a Div. III Corps, being scored in the same way as a Div. I Corps.

and what about the Orlando show in 05? Teal Sound getting a 55.something, and beating out Kiwanis.

And who says a Div. II show isn't as demanding as a Div. I Corps? It all depends on what the show calls for drill-wise and music-wise. I know of many Div. II Corps and Div. III Corps that could take a Div. I brassline or hornline any day.

Yeah.

Do you really think some of the younger corps in D 2/3 could be judged on the same sheet's. Magic was under rated. No lie, I'll say it again. We shared housing site's with Teal, Spirit, and Blue Devil's on tour. Every single one of those corps had less rehearsal time than we did. We had a drumline that at one time in the season was .3 behind Spirit. Both Brass and Percussion were scoring high 16's - low 17's (caption score's) at the show before finals. We had three full rehearsal day's before quarter finals. During this time, we improved by LEAPS AND BOUND's. New Magic/Fear the web... that good stuff. To have a 16.6 the show before finals, rehearsing, and working your butt off for three days, just like every one else... How did both Brass and Percussion drop to a 15.3. That really is absurd. Your top 12 corps have been victim too. Cavie's 03 (It's debateable, but Cavies had a much better visual program.) SCV 05, CROWN 06! I personally was outraged that Blue Knight's beat them. I've never been a cadet's fan, but they got totally shafted in 06. I don't know how else to put it. Whether or not you all agree or disagree about these corps is your own business, but you can not deny that the judge's need to have a standardized way of judging. They may do this already, but re-certification would not be a bad thing.

Yeah.

Umm... there ARE different sheets for Div 1 and Div2/3. That is a simple fact.

Take a look at finals in 02. Magic scored a 99.05 on the Division 2 sheets and that was 10th or 11th place on Div 1 finals night.

wow. seems like everytime we see growth in D1, someone goes down, even for a year.

last year KK and Troop. this year Magic and Cap Reg.

Do you really think some of the younger corps in D 2/3 could be judged on the same sheet's. Magic was under rated. No lie, I'll say it again. We shared housing site's with Teal, Spirit, and Blue Devil's on tour. Every single one of those corps had less rehearsal time than we did. We had a drumline that at one time in the season was .3 behind Spirit. Both Brass and Percussion were scoring high 16's - low 17's (caption score's) at the show before finals. We had three full rehearsal day's before quarter finals. During this time, we improved by LEAPS AND BOUND's. New Magic/Fear the web... that good stuff. To have a 16.6 the show before finals, rehearsing, and working your butt off for three days, just like every one else... How did both Brass and Percussion drop to a 15.3. That really is absurd. Your top 12 corps have been victim too. Cavie's 03 (It's debateable, but Cavies had a much better visual program.) SCV 05, CROWN 06! I personally was outraged that Blue Knight's beat them. I've never been a cadet's fan, but they got totally shafted in 06. I don't know how else to put it. Whether or not you all agree or disagree about these corps is your own business, but you can not deny that the judge's need to have a standardized way of judging. They may do this already, but re-certification would not be a bad thing.

Out of curiosity, how many corps were at the show before finals?

Scores are relative. The more corps the more spread out they will be.